“Good for business travelers”

Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
“Good for business travelers”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Room is large enough, bathroom has plenty of space. Clean and the people there are friendly and helpful. You get a suite well equipped with a kitchen so you can prepare your own meals. You can purchase food at the "mini grocery" near the entrance. DVD available for free incase you want to watch a movie. It's located near the railway, so take this into account because noise from passing trains may disturb you, although the acoustic isolation is good enough in my opinion. All in all, quite good considering price range.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room facing away from the railway.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paolo P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Frederick, Colorado
Reviewed 3 September 2013

stayed here because the preferred hotel was not available. this place is right next to the cal train station, so if you don't like noise, get a room on the far side from the station. They only have weekly maid service, and no restaurant. This is a bagel place in the same parking lot that is was decent for breakfast.

Room Tip: it is next to the train station, so if you don't like noise, get a room on the other side
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JeffNieusma
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear JeffNieusma,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This place is for extended stays for individuals and families moving to the area/switching jobs etc.

Kitchen amenities are good. Beds are decent. Free DVD movie selection is good

We stayed for a wedding at SCU and it's not great for a weekend getaway, since there is no pool, breakfast, etc. We knew this going in, but still.

Having the bagel shop and starbucks right there is great!

Room Tip: Stumbling distance to SCU
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jeffgaucho
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear libbie5,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We apologize for the hotel facilities and amenities you experienced which was less than satisfactory. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay with us.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
USA
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

You can't beat the location for SCU or CalTrain. Rooms are as good as or better than similar nearby extended stay options. Prices are great on weekends. Staff is helpful, although a bit hit or miss on PC upgrades.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank KAP
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have to say, this was a tough one because the employees at this particular Candlewood Suites (I've stayed at others) make writing this review difficult because besides the staff being very nice, I can't really say too much else was good about the place. I did not sleep one peaceful night of the 4 nights I was there because the train was right outside of my window. Maybe if I'd asked for an interior room, it would have been different but my god was it loud. (Good for commuters, I guess...unfortunate for sleepy guests.) Also, there isn't sufficient parking for the property. I arrived quite late and was told to park across the way - where all the "Private Parking" signs were and was told that as long as I didn't park directly in front of the bank or Starbuck's or Quizno's or basically anything else in the adjacent lot that I wouldn't have to worry about my rental car being towed. Suffice it to say, I was constantly worried about my rental car being towed. Additionally, the hotel is very old - or if not, it's very old...smelling. There was a funkiness to the place and the carpeting in the common areas was quite musty. That being said, my room was clean and comfortable, I felt safe (except the whole parking thing) and the staff really were exceptionally kind (even when they had to tell me I couldn't switch rooms because the hotel was sold out and there were no other rooms to possibly escape some of the train noise). I might try this hotel when I return to the area because it is so close to everywhere I need to be - but only if I can get a room that isn't right on the tracks. Otherwise - I'd rather drive a little longer on good sleep than have a shorter drive on almost no sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Michelle G
Viera K, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Michelle G,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Candlewood Suites Silicon Valley Santa Clara.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for noticing our friendly staff. The hotel rooms was renovated last year and I am sorry to hear about musty carpeting in the common areas
The hotel is located near public transportation and for some guests it can be as a convenience and as a noise distraction. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it fell below your expectations due to the train and parking convenience. The hotel is getting to a sold out situation quickly, please let us know your preferences at the time of making a room arrangements. I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced due to a train and uneasy feeling about your car parking.
Thank you for your feedback and we would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.
Viera K | Director of Sales
USA
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I highly recommend this hotel as a sleep-over hotel when staying in this area. The employees are helpful. The hotel is very clean and neat with the rooms are comfortable and has plenty of space. They have a little store to buy food and cook yourself if you want too!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Stephen S
Viera K, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Stephen S,
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We are delighted to hear and appreciate for noticing our newly renovated spacious rooms, friendly staff and cleanness of the hotel.
Director of Sales
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 June 2013

If you've never stayed in a Candlewood, they're great places, though a bit odd. It's a mix of people on 1-3 day stays, and folks who for whatever reason, are calling the Candlewood home for an extended period of time.

The rooms themselves then, are nice. Studio style, you get a full kitcehn, plates, dishes, the whole works. Pets are welcome. DVD player with free rentals, a gym, a few HBO's, a few ESPN's, etc... And of course, free wifi!

What you don't get is regular maid service (doesn't bother me) or any breakfast options.

But it's a fine enough place, though there is one crucial piece of advice you must take: Don't book a room unless you can request to not be on the side of the train. The commuter train is a mere 50 yards away from the back of the building, and those trains run frequently and late. So it was pretty loud. I lived in a flight path for a year, so it didn't rattle me too much, but folks who like quiet, I could see this being a problem!

Another bright side- easy food walking distance: Starbucks, a bagel joint that was good, and Quiznos.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Viera K, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Patrick,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for noticing our newly renovated spacious rooms and the cleanness of the hotel. The Candlewood Suites provides full size kitchen, the laundry facility and internet connection with pet welcome policy it is can be a home a way from home.
The hotel is located near public transportation and for some guests it can be as a convenience and as a little nose distraction. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Viera, Director of Sales
#11 of 75 in San Jose
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Courtyard San Jose Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose

Been to Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara? Share your experiences!