Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Location, location, location! Adjacent to a train station, across the street from Santa Clara University, with coffee and sandwich shops plus a bank nearby, it's perfectly situated. The staff was exceedingly friendly and accommodating, bumping us up to a suite. There is train & ice maker noise to contend with so be prepared if such disturbs your sleep. Santa Clara is a great destination & this is a great place to stay!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Fritzie D, Guest Services at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear LizzieHeff,

Thanks for the awesome recognition on our location! Our staff will also be very pleased to learn that you found them exceedingly friendly and accommodating during your stay with our hotel. I truly apologize for any inconveniences that the train and refrigerator noise may have caused. With that said, we hope that our hotel's local conveniences, accommodations and services will sway you back to Candlewood Suties ~ Santa Clara, upon which time, we would be more than happy to welcome you back again!

Kind regards,
-Fritzie D.
Canlewood Suites ~ Santa Clara

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed here for an event at Santa Clara University. It is very convenient to SCU, close to the airport, and the room was very nice. As for the down side: It took a couple of tries to get on the wireless (the first password they gave me was expired -- apparently their provider changed it early and then the wireless provider help desk had to work with me to actually get connected. The help desk service though is very good.) My one big concern -- the first key they gave me opened a room that was occupied. When I asked at the desk whether their computer system wouldn't prevent that sort of error, they said no. I made sure to use the security lock in my (new) room. I would have loved a better choice of snack and frozen meal options in their Candlewood Cupboard.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Fritzie D, Guest Services at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Robstravels2014,

Thank you for your time in providing this detailed review, pertaining to your recent experience with our hotel. Our staff will be very happy to learn of the high rating on our facility's cleanliness and that you found the help desk service to be helpful in eventually getting you internet access. I sincerely and deeply apologize for the inconveniences, especially regarding the room key error. I will further look into this situation and will be alerting Management and Staff accordingly. In addressing your "free airport shuttle?" review question, there is a county-provided bus, which stops adjacent to our hotel's location--it takes you to and from the San Jose International Airport, free of charge. Your feedback is invaluable to us in helping us improve and BE the hotel that we want each guest to love--this includes your opinion on a better choice of snack and frozen meal options for our Cupboard! Again, thank you for your review--we hope to get another chance to welcome you back again for a more pleasant and excellent stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We only stayed at this place for one night but one does not need more time to appreciate what this hotel has to offer. The Santa Clara station is literally next door so you can get to San Jose or SF easily. Also you can catch the airport shuttle that will take you to San Jose airport for free. Regarding the hotel itself, the rooms were huge and clean. Some people complain about the noise from the passing trains but (even though our room faced the tracks) I did not experience any noise issues (and I'm fairly sensitive to that in general). Just after we went to bed, the smoke alarm started beeping (it ran out of battery) so we had to call the front desk to send someone over. Fortunately they did so quickly. Also there is a little pantry "shop" near the reception area where you can purchase small food items by simply picking them and then dropping money in a box. Also I need to mention that there is a great bagel shop right outside the hotel!

Overall I'd say this place is great and I'd happily stay here again should I find myself in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Fritzie D, Guest Services at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear WideBodyroga,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! Albeit one night, we are ecstatic that you were able to appreciate much of our hotel offerings.

Beyond understanding the hotel's central location, which provides ease of accessing local businesses, different parts of the bay area, and the San Jose International Airport (through the County-provided bus), your acknowledging the convenience of our Cupboard ("little pantry 'shop'") and finding our suites spacious, clean, and comfortable is truly wonderful.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that the smoke alarm incident may have caused but are happy to have been able to address it expeditiously. In an attempt to address our guests' feedback on the passing trains, we are pleased to inform you that in June/2014, Candlewood Suites ~ Santa Clara Management invested in the installation of additional window panes facing the train side. Given the factor that each person's sensitivity level to noise vary widely, I am SO delighted to hear that you benefited from this renovation, as it clearly supports our team's diligent aim to always provide a pleasant experience for each guest.

Thank you again for such a great review--we would happily welcome you back again, any time.

Truly,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a new hotel, so the amenities are in great condition, room size is great and very comfortable. I can't speak to the rate, as we went on a law school competition at Santa Clara University, and the tab was covered by the law school. But I can say that the location is terrific, smack dab as it is between Santa Clara U, Santa Clara CalTrans train station, and a pretty darn good bagel shop. I went to school at Santa Clara, and I can tell you that if you are visiting there, you can roll in here without renting a car, visit Santa Clara University and then hop the train to Mountain View or Palo Alto for a great supper. (Santa Clara itself is rather spread out and restaurant challenged).

Room Tip: ask to be in a room away from the rr tracks, the rooms on the southwest side are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank David A
Fritzie D, Guest Services at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear dadamsplsjd2b,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with our hotel. I'm glad to know that you were able to maximize your visit, benefiting from the accessibility of Santa Clara University, along with other Silicon Valley spots based on Candlewood Suites' location. We hope to welcome you back again soon, where you may not only appreciate the convenience of our "great spot" but also realize our company's aim on meeting customer's value for high quality service and accommodations.

All the best,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have stayed here numerous times, but this is the first time that I ever had a room on the back side of the hotel facing the train tracks. I won't accept a room there again - the trains are too close and too noisy ( notwithstanding that the front desk advises that nobody complains about the noise since the double windows were installed). And the ever-present large gathering of smokers at the front entrance is a bit of a turnoff. Otherwise, the place is clean and convenient.

Room Tip: Avoid the tracks.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear KAP,

Thank you for writing a review based on your recent stay with us here at Candlewood Suites. Our staff will be pleased to note your high rating on our hotel's cleanliness. We are sincerely sorry about any discomfort that you have experienced with the train noise and the smoke(ers) outside of the building. Given these factors, as inevitable as they may be, we will continue to show diligent attempts to ensure that each guest has a pleasant experience, as we have demonstrated with the newly added double-paned windows. We truly appreciate your business and hope that you will continue to realize the benefits of our central location, along with our honest intentions to accommodate you, as best as we can, every time. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

In general the hotel is comfortable and cheaper than many in this area. The room and common areas were spotlessly clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. On the down-side the fridge and AC unit in the room were noisy and I had to unplug the fridge and turn off the AC at night.

Also, the lack of a cooked breakfast was disappointing - I know that this is a 'long stay suite' with a full kitchen but other similar suites provide breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lgmd2005
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear lgmd2005,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret the noise issues you had with the room you received. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have stayed here before over the years, being a season ticket holder from out of town, this place is an excellent location for games at Santa Clara University.
Checking in was a dream, very friendly, quick and easy.
It was very nice to see the upgrades with the rooms, beds and bathrooms. The hotel shop is always great for a quick snack or drink.
Another stay here is in the cards.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Hilton Santa Clara
Hilton Santa Clara
#2 of 32 in Santa Clara

Been to Candlewood Suites - Santa Clara? Share your experiences!