“Desperate need of upgrade and fumigation”
Review of Mariani's Inn

Mariani's Inn
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Yuba City, California
“Desperate need of upgrade and fumigation”
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I have stayed here once or twice you could say. The staff is awesome however the hotel needs upgrades. Beds are way out of date and very firm. Always short sheets. Never a fitted sheet. Bitten by bed bugs. Cock roaches. Cold breakfast but it's free. House keeping overkills on Lysol spray. All in all if comfort was defined by amenities go elsewhere, if it's the way the staff treats you it's the perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a suite.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MrBechtel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Mariani's is not a Hyatt, a Hilton, or the Ritz! Nor do you pay for that. The price is reasonable and given that it is in the $80-90 range, it is very good. It is similar to a Super-8 or a Motel6. No, the bedspreads & the carpets do not match, but I don't pay for that! The beds are comfortable, my internet worked great (unlike some other reviewers). The staff is phenomenal! Very helpful. Like others, I don;t usually stay in the more affordable hotels, but I did not feel uncomfortable in the hotel at all. Would I like them to upgrade things, of course. But I realize that this is a private owned hotel and that they do not hav ethe capital that the chains have, so they can't do everything all at once. If you are looking for an affordable place to stay, and service is a priority, this is the place. If you are looking for a chain hotel, stay there! There are many hotels in the area, this is one I would stay at again.

Room Tip: I did not stay in a suite, but given the other reviews, this may be the way to go if you want a bigg...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Folsom, California
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This place certainly did not look like much on the outside, but the room was very clean and had all of the comforts that we really wanted. A refrigerator, coffee pot, great channels and very comfortable beds. The breakfast was really quite good and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool was slippery for some reason, but the water was warm and clean. It is centrally located and parking is easy. We will return to this Inn anytime we stay in Santa Clara.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sade1067
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I found a good rate for my room by booking it with my travel. This motel cost a little more than I'm usually willing to spend, but it was close to where I needed to be in the morning and I've had awful experiences trying to sleep in the cheaper motels, so I chose it.

What a treat for a budget traveler like me! My room was large, had a frig & microwave, a large bathroom, it was clean and didn't smell weird. The bed was comfortable and I slept very well. That's unusual for me when I travel. In the morning the shower head put out a decent stream of water (unlike the trickles I have tried to wash in at some cheaper places). And the bathroom actually had enough lighting. Some of the cheaper motels give you a 20 watt bulb in each room and expect you to be happy with that.

Then, the icing on the cake, guests get an honest-to-goodness hot breakfast in the restaurant in the morning included in their room rate. Eggs, bacon, sausage, juice, milk, dry cereal if you really have to stick to your fiber in the a.m., muffins and banana bread.

If all lower priced motels would treat their guests this well they'd be booked full year-round. If I ever have to go to San Jose again, I know where I'll stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank PersonintheVicinity
Saratoga, California
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I didn't want to pay a lot, but wanted better place than Motel 6... it was not and it was not worth the money.
Positive: Staff is very friendly
Negative: my room said "Deluxe", which was nothing further from the truth - very old, not updated place. Shower worked poorly (from very hot to very cold, you just had to touch to regulator), mattresses were too old (reminded me my summer camp experience in Russia), blankets while poor quality looked like have been used for 10 years at least, carpet... not worth mentioning. I didn't want my 4-year old touch it with bear feet. Please note that I'm NOT picky or "strange". I grew up in Russia; I've seen cockroaches and I assure you - if you're willing to pay $70-90/night, you should look for something else

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank IrinaCohen
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Service, service, service...It really stands out at Mariani's Inn & Restaurant. I reserved a room to celebrate my birthday on the weekend of June 25-26. I experienced so many great examples of Mariani's hospitality - it is amazing. From the moment I checked in, I knew I was in a family style premium service environment as I heard the front desk staff talking to other guests. Everyone knew each other's names and the staff was giving great recommendations for weekend activities to the long term corporate housing guests. My parents treated me to dinner at the restaurant. Becky provided impeccable service and all the menu choices - including the Early Bird specials we ordered. I invited a set of friends to Mariani's Poolside Party in honor of the World Cup. Hector Ortiz oversaw amazing Brazilian rum drink specials at the Poolside bar. My friends enjoyed seeing all the activity in the main bar, restaurant, and poolside area. The Queen Deluxe room was very clean and comfortable as I slept so soundly without any noise. I started off the morning with a refreshing swim and a great breakfast served with great big smiles from Arturo and Lionel. Finally, I ended my stay with another great example of customer service as Andrea at the front desk helped me with the internet connection and very fast and efficient check out services. Mariani's means service!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank jcashman01
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 8 December 2009

I stayed here for 3 weeks and found it comfortable. The rooms are a little old but they are functional and offered great value for the money I paid. I stayed in there suit which had a small walk in closet and a separate kitchen. I got the extended stay rate and that made the deal a really good one. The breakfast is definitely above average, much better than what I've had in similar hotels. The staff was friendly. Only issue I had was when I was staying in a single room. Two single rooms have a common door between them which stays closed always. But I had a smoking room right next to mine and that made life miserable one night because the gentleman in the other room was a heavy smoker. I think the management should either group the non smoking rooms or should do away with that common door. Any way the guy at the front desk changed my room and eventually I switched to a suit which did not have the "common door" problem. In short a great value for money hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business