From the street, Mariani's Inn looks to be a decent place to stay. The front desk clerk was very polite and the lobby had a welcoming and quaint feel to it. However, the lobby is where it ends. As I left the lobby and drove into the parking area, I was greeted with litter and cigarette butts. The stairs were old and slightly spooky with the compromised wooden railings and outdated astro-turf material covering the steps.
I booked a room with 2 queen beds but when I checked in, I was given a room with 2 full beds. I decided to try them out to see if they would accomodate us. Not only were they too small, they were the MOST uncomfortable beds I have ever lay upon. They were far too thin and flimsy and they bounced badly. The restrooms are tiny, with small rounds seats for the toilet that you might find in a preschool. The lack of recent updating was eveident everywhere. The advertised "blackout" curtains did little to keep out any light.
I went back to the lobby and informed the clerk that the beds were not what I had paid for and wanted a different room boasting the accomodations I booked. The clerk was apologetic, admitting the room had 2 full beds even though at check in, she stated "2 queen beds". She offered me another room so I went to have a look. It's wasn't hard to see that this room was not much better then the previous. The beds were queens and they were a little more firm but still not comfortable. I had specifically asked for a non-smoking room as I have a child with asthma, however upon entering the new room, the smell of stale cigarette smoke assailed my nostrils with such an offensiveness that it triggered a gag reflex. The walls were filthy, looking as if someone had walked through the oil and grime in the parking lot and then lay on the bed with their feet on the wall. The TV was dusty and the bathroom mirror looked to have that dried toothpaste/saliva gunk that messy brushers leave.
I went back to the lobby again and told the clerk that this place was disgusting, certainly not reflective of what was advertised and that I would not stay. The clerk was again sincerely apologetic, a trait likely acquired by much practice. Overall, this was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever encountered. I would definitely recommend looking elsewhere for accomodations in the Santa Clara/San Jose area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our history began when Jack Mariani settled in Santa Clara in 1907. After farming his orchards for many years, he was inspired to pull out five acres of prune trees and create the Inn and Restaurant. Ever since, our guests have experienced lodging and dining of the highest caliber in a relaxing, homelike atmosphere. You're sure to enjoy your stay, because we operate the way Jack Mariani designed it - as a family place! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mariani's Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mariani`s Hotel Santa Clara
- Marianis Hotel Santa Clara