“Low profile hotel”

Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Low profile hotel”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Staying here for 4 nights while traveling in San Jose and Santa Clara. Old and season hotel. My room doesn't have a good wifi reception, so I complain and the receptionist gave me a LAN cable, which is not useful for my other gadgets.

The room have fridge - a very noisy one, which I have to switch it off. Coffee maker. TV. No microwave in the room even though they said it is available in the room. Need to go to the centralized kitchen.

Very basic breakfast - continental.

Overall - staff is responsive. Room is clean and tidy. Free shuttle to airport.

Location : middle of nowhere.

Room Tip: Ground floor room will be noisy with the creaking sound coming from the upper floor. Internet connec...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MatRayau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This place has been around for awhile and is showing signs of wear, but it was clean, it's centrally located and the price was reasonable. The staff was cheerful and willing to please and that was refreshing. I would recommend this to someone who wasn't too particular about "new" and who could appreciate the history and character of a place that has some age.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lee Ann T
Chico, CA
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The hotel is showing its age, but I felt that gave it character. The staff was very accommodating, and cheerfully provided everything we asked for (and we asked for a lot - extra towels, pillows, hair dryer, iron), plus the coffee was plentiful. Loved the pool and jacuzzi and the flowering-vine-covered balconies.

Room Tip: We asked to be next door to family we were traveling with, and they accommodated us, and we still ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Booke this hotel because we had an overnight layover, website advertised an airport shuttle. We landed and called at 9:14 pm for the shuttle and were informed that the shuttle stopped at 9 (nothing on the website about limited hours for the shuttle) ended up taking a $25 dollar cab fare to get to hotel. Didn't argue with the desk clerk, not his fault the website lied. Rooms were okay, dated and small. Free breakfast was good, shuttle in the morning to the airport was good.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Mathninja
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 7 June 2012

As the other reviews have said, it looks good from the street but don't be fooled. This place needs a serious updating. It is low priced but it attracts that kind of clientel. The pillows were about 2 inches thick, not good. The beds were hard and need replacing. Walls had cracks in them. I think the lanolium was the same I used in a kithen in the 80's. It was clean thank goodness. Would not go back no matter how cheap.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank winecountrylovers

Travellers are raving about these Santa Clara hotels

Orange
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Picked this place because I needed a place in Santa Clara and quite honestly, all the hotels in the area got so-so reviews. I do have to say that the service was good. I checked in at 8 a.m. went over to the restaurant for just a little snack, and they made me something off the menu that was perfect to take back to the room and the waiter couldn't have been nicer. The room leaves less to be desired. Updated in early 90's I think. A few updates (linens, TV, pillows, paint) would make a huge difference. The internet works and is free, parking is free, and bfast is free. Bfast looked a little greasy if you like eggs and sausage, but for those of us that like cereal, fresh fruit, and toast, it was just fine. It was a relatively quiet place and my room was by the ice machine on the ground floor. I may check out the competition next time I'm in town, but would stay there again. I look at it as you get what you pay for, $70 -80/night, that's what you get.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
United States
Reviewed 24 March 2012

From the street, Mariani's Inn looks to be a decent place to stay. The front desk clerk was very polite and the lobby had a welcoming and quaint feel to it. However, the lobby is where it ends. As I left the lobby and drove into the parking area, I was greeted with litter and cigarette butts. The stairs were old and slightly spooky with the compromised wooden railings and outdated astro-turf material covering the steps.

I booked a room with 2 queen beds but when I checked in, I was given a room with 2 full beds. I decided to try them out to see if they would accomodate us. Not only were they too small, they were the MOST uncomfortable beds I have ever lay upon. They were far too thin and flimsy and they bounced badly. The restrooms are tiny, with small rounds seats for the toilet that you might find in a preschool. The lack of recent updating was eveident everywhere. The advertised "blackout" curtains did little to keep out any light.

I went back to the lobby and informed the clerk that the beds were not what I had paid for and wanted a different room boasting the accomodations I booked. The clerk was apologetic, admitting the room had 2 full beds even though at check in, she stated "2 queen beds". She offered me another room so I went to have a look. It's wasn't hard to see that this room was not much better then the previous. The beds were queens and they were a little more firm but still not comfortable. I had specifically asked for a non-smoking room as I have a child with asthma, however upon entering the new room, the smell of stale cigarette smoke assailed my nostrils with such an offensiveness that it triggered a gag reflex. The walls were filthy, looking as if someone had walked through the oil and grime in the parking lot and then lay on the bed with their feet on the wall. The TV was dusty and the bathroom mirror looked to have that dried toothpaste/saliva gunk that messy brushers leave.

I went back to the lobby again and told the clerk that this place was disgusting, certainly not reflective of what was advertised and that I would not stay. The clerk was again sincerely apologetic, a trait likely acquired by much practice. Overall, this was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever encountered. I would definitely recommend looking elsewhere for accomodations in the Santa Clara/San Jose area.

Room Tip: If you want to choose a good room, you'll have to go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family