“Solid Motel, Superb Cleanliness, Good location”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 September 2013

When I arrived on a business trip, my expectations were low - seemed like a standard motel. Still the decor is nifty in the lobby and the typical concrete and steel blockish rooms were softened by the spiffy and dare I say comfortable chairs. The bed and pillows were exquisitely comfortable! The room was spotlessly clean each night, my bed perfectly remade - but my effects were left unmolested. I had few needs but the staff was very positive and helpful. No breakfast included but IHOP is adjoining. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: September 2013
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank you rich_p_of_NJ for this awesome review! I am so glad we were able to exceed your expectations to what to return in the future. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was our first time staying at the Avatar property and we were pleasantly surprised at the friendly and well informed staff. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We were celebrating my family small reunion in San Clara so the staff was nice and gave us coupons for breakfast at the IHOP next door. We plan to stay again on our next trip to Santa Clara

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you Belinda J for this great five star review! I am happy that you got to enjoy your stay with us while attending your family reunion. We can't wait for you to come visit us again. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when making your next reservation.

408-454-6884

Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I was drawn to this hotel because it belongs to Joie De Vivre, but it does not fit the chain. The bathroom / sink area is tiny and congested, the window faces a walkway, so you can't keep the curtains / window open, it sits close to Great America / Bowers St., thus pretty noisy, breakfast tickets are for ... IHOP of all places. It looks like a converted cheap motel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you ELBuscadorGrande for your feedback. I apologize the hotel was not up to your standards. I would like to invite you to talk with me further if you wish and see if there is anything else you may want to add. Again thank you, we can only improve if we receive the information.

Have a great day,

408-454-6884

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Not so great place and perhaps expected to be this small for California Standards. Highlight was the iHop coupons for breakfast and not so great when you are in rush of time for a quick continental. There are better choices out there for sure.

Room Tip: All are Motel Type rooms and challenge for maintaining privacy with the corridor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thank you SSekuri for the review. It is always great to hear others experience and opinion of our property. We hope to see you again in the future.

Again thank you,

Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband stayed there one night while on business. He found the hotel to be comfortable with soothing room colors and modernistic furniture. he found the staff to be friendly & the IHOP next door was great for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thank you greg2mar for this review. I glad your husband enjoyed his stay with us, it is always great to be comfortable when your away on business. We hope to have him again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Our stay began with a difficult search to find our room - due to the fact that the hotel chose to put up tiny little number signs which 50-somethings can't see from the curb. So you have to park and go up to the door to be able to read the sign. Once we got into our room we found it to be reasonably clean and on the cramped side with trendy, but sparse decor. The handset on the phone and the alarm clock did not work, which we reported the first night. We were told that they would be fixed, but neither were during our four-day stay. Also, at least four of their ice and vending machines had "out of order" signs during our entire stay, making us wonder about serious they were about their guest's comfort - since we had to go up a floor and all the way to the opposite side of the hotel to get ice. Our friends who traveled with us were charged double what they were quoted at the time they made their reservation, and had to get pretty assertive in order to get the bill straightened out. The same friends were asked if they wanted maid service the next day and they said that they did but when they returned to the room in the late afternoon their room had not been cleaned.
The exercise room was great. And we did not use it, but the pool and spay looked pretty nice. Since we we got group-rate prices we were not terribly disappointed with the hotel, but I would have given the hotel only two stars if we had been paying full price. I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you WouldDoItAllAgain for your great feedback. I am glad you found the room to your liking and the location of the hotel was in 5 star location for you needs. I hope the event you were attending went well. I do apologize for the ground floor ice machine being out and the issue you had with your phone and alarm clock. I would like to invite you and your friends to contact me directly if you wish to see if there is anything else you would like to speak about.

Again thank you for your review and hope to hear from you again,

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4200 Great America Pkwy
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Tel: 408-235-8900
Fax: 408-988-0976
jdvhotels.com

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My husband and I took the kids to Great America. The hotel was clean, but the rooms were tiny. We booked two rooms - one for the three kids (12, 15, and 18), and one for us. We tried putting the kids in a room with two "double" beds. There is no way two people or even children would fit in one of those beds. Had to switch to a "king" and a cot. The staff were very accommodating, and the pool was great. Overall we had a good stay. However, I would not have booked this hotel had I realized there was no shuttle to the park and no continental breakfast, but that's just personal preference and would have saved us a bunch of money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you zmolekd for the review. I am happy that you had a good stay with your family here at the Avatar and the staff were very accommodating to make you as comfortable as possible. It is always hard to find spacious sleeping areas especially when the little ones keep on growing. It is always great that you had fun at the pool and got to take advantage of Great America just down the road. We hope to see you again in the near future. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime.