“A pleasure to stay here”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austerlitz, New York
“A pleasure to stay here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I chose the Avatar for its location and reasonable cost. The decor was retro/futuristic as expected, right down to the robot collection in the lobby. The room was spotlessly clean, had everything I needed, bed and armchair comfortable, desk with good lighting. Best of all, the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. I would definitely go back, and would recommend it to my friends. IHOP is not the classiest restaurant, but it's convenient and has a variety of dishes.

Room Tip: While rooms face the courtyard and thus you must partially close the blinds to have privacy, I did n...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you Katie for the five star review! It is great you found the staff extremely friendly and the room spotlessly clean, we strive to create the best atmosphere here for our guests and those two areas are definitely the most important. We look forward to your return, next time you book please give us a call an use the promotional code "DIRECT" to receive an additional 15% off your bill.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

When I arrived on a business trip, my expectations were low - seemed like a standard motel. Still the decor is nifty in the lobby and the typical concrete and steel blockish rooms were softened by the spiffy and dare I say comfortable chairs. The bed and pillows were exquisitely comfortable! The room was spotlessly clean each night, my bed perfectly remade - but my effects were left unmolested. I had few needs but the staff was very positive and helpful. No breakfast included but IHOP is adjoining. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed September 2013
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you rich_p_of_NJ for this awesome review! I am so glad we were able to exceed your expectations to what to return in the future. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was our first time staying at the Avatar property and we were pleasantly surprised at the friendly and well informed staff. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We were celebrating my family small reunion in San Clara so the staff was nice and gave us coupons for breakfast at the IHOP next door. We plan to stay again on our next trip to Santa Clara

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you Belinda J for this great five star review! I am happy that you got to enjoy your stay with us while attending your family reunion. We can't wait for you to come visit us again. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when making your next reservation.

408-454-6884
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I was drawn to this hotel because it belongs to Joie De Vivre, but it does not fit the chain. The bathroom / sink area is tiny and congested, the window faces a walkway, so you can't keep the curtains / window open, it sits close to Great America / Bowers St., thus pretty noisy, breakfast tickets are for ... IHOP of all places. It looks like a converted cheap motel.

• Stayed September 2013
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you ELBuscadorGrande for your feedback. I apologize the hotel was not up to your standards. I would like to invite you to talk with me further if you wish and see if there is anything else you may want to add. Again thank you, we can only improve if we receive the information.

Have a great day,

408-454-6884
Suwanee, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Not so great place and perhaps expected to be this small for California Standards. Highlight was the iHop coupons for breakfast and not so great when you are in rush of time for a quick continental. There are better choices out there for sure.

Room Tip: All are Motel Type rooms and challenge for maintaining privacy with the corridor
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you SSekuri for the review. It is always great to hear others experience and opinion of our property. We hope to see you again in the future.

Again thank you,

Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband stayed there one night while on business. He found the hotel to be comfortable with soothing room colors and modernistic furniture. he found the staff to be friendly & the IHOP next door was great for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you greg2mar for this review. I glad your husband enjoyed his stay with us, it is always great to be comfortable when your away on business. We hope to have him again in the near future.

Fortuna, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Our stay began with a difficult search to find our room - due to the fact that the hotel chose to put up tiny little number signs which 50-somethings can't see from the curb. So you have to park and go up to the door to be able to read the sign. Once we got into our room we found it to be reasonably clean and on the cramped side with trendy, but sparse decor. The handset on the phone and the alarm clock did not work, which we reported the first night. We were told that they would be fixed, but neither were during our four-day stay. Also, at least four of their ice and vending machines had "out of order" signs during our entire stay, making us wonder about serious they were about their guest's comfort - since we had to go up a floor and all the way to the opposite side of the hotel to get ice. Our friends who traveled with us were charged double what they were quoted at the time they made their reservation, and had to get pretty assertive in order to get the bill straightened out. The same friends were asked if they wanted maid service the next day and they said that they did but when they returned to the room in the late afternoon their room had not been cleaned.
The exercise room was great. And we did not use it, but the pool and spay looked pretty nice. Since we we got group-rate prices we were not terribly disappointed with the hotel, but I would have given the hotel only two stars if we had been paying full price. I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you WouldDoItAllAgain for your great feedback. I am glad you found the room to your liking and the location of the hotel was in 5 star location for you needs. I hope the event you were attending went well. I do apologize for the ground floor ice machine being out and the issue you had with your phone and alarm clock. I would like to invite you and your friends to contact me directly if you wish to see if there is anything else you would like to speak about.

Again thank you for your review and hope to hear from you again,

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel