“Beyond my expectations!”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Beyond my expectations!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

You couldn't ask for better service from such an incredible staff. Upon entering the room we were welcomed with a beautiful gift box for my girlfriend since I told them it was her birthday. I was impressed with the quality of the presents and the custom birthday card was such a kind hearted gesture. The professionalism of the staff made this stay perfect. Stylish, comfortable, relaxing and affordable; what more could you ask for. Special thanks to Nikki for the wonderful birthday gift! You made this stay so much better!

• Stayed September 2013
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for this awesome review CharlieK70. It is great you and your girlfriend enjoyed her birthday with us, Nikki is wonderful when it comes to really trying to personalize our guests stays and is so glad she could really impress you. We hope to see you next time you are in the area.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I'm surprised at the reviews that claim this property doesn't "fit the chain," because it absolutely does fit the chain. I've stayed at a lot of JdV properties and this is one of the better ones. (Not to imply that I don't like the other ones---I'm a huge fan!) The reviewer that complained that it was just an old converted motel cracked me up--they just don't get it. That's the charm of these places.

Here are the things I found very pleasant about Avatar. Yes, it's on a big, busy street, but motels usually are. That wasn't a surprise. What was surprising was how quiet it is. Our room is on the 1st floor, facing the pool, not far from the street and the IHOP. I've only heard soft voices of people walking past the room a couple of times, in the middle of the day. No traffic, no footsteps, no yelling, no babies crying, nothing. It's like a ghost town. Nice. The room is spacious for a motel. We have a king bed. There is a nice, open, minimalist feel to the room--just my style. There's free wifi, no charge for pets (we brought two small geriatric dogs), a fridge, iPod dock, and a bed tray, all the little things that add up to a convenient and comfortable stay. Sure, the bathroom's a little small, but I don't spend a lot of time there. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I felt very welcome. Not judged, the way that upscale hotel staff make me feel.

We actually live in San Francisco, just 40 miles up the road. We had to leave the house for a few days while it gets worked on. The South Bay tends to be much cheaper than SF on weekends, so we looked for a place down here that allows pets and had a pool. We were delighted to find a JdV property because we knew we'd be comfortable. Even though we're 50-somethings. ;>)

1 Thank Concetta G
Thank you Concetta G for this fantastic five star review! It is always great to hear from someone that enjoys the Joie de Vivre properties. I am glad you and your dogs had the chance to experience while your house was being worked on, hope that all went well too. Please feel free to reach out to me next time your in the area we would love to have you back again soon.

Pittsford, NY
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The condition of the hotel was a lot poorer than I expected. I know this brand likes to dress up older properties, but in this case, it did not work. Yes the colors were exciting and furniture was funky, but the rooms were very small, the bathrooms were very outdated and poorly ventilated and the International House of Pancakes was the only real dining option. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you mgmoto for your review. I am glad you found the decor exciting, but i do apologize for the rest of your experience here. It is never an ideal thing to come to a property with one expectation and leave with another, unless its better of course. I would like to invite you to contact me directly to speak more about your stay, knowing more details for where you felt we could improve doesn't only benefit me but gives us the chance to make each of our other guests feel more comfortable during there stay also. Hopefully we will get the chance to have you again in the future.

Austerlitz, New York
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I chose the Avatar for its location and reasonable cost. The decor was retro/futuristic as expected, right down to the robot collection in the lobby. The room was spotlessly clean, had everything I needed, bed and armchair comfortable, desk with good lighting. Best of all, the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. I would definitely go back, and would recommend it to my friends. IHOP is not the classiest restaurant, but it's convenient and has a variety of dishes.

Room Tip: While rooms face the courtyard and thus you must partially close the blinds to have privacy, I did n...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you Katie for the five star review! It is great you found the staff extremely friendly and the room spotlessly clean, we strive to create the best atmosphere here for our guests and those two areas are definitely the most important. We look forward to your return, next time you book please give us a call an use the promotional code "DIRECT" to receive an additional 15% off your bill.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

When I arrived on a business trip, my expectations were low - seemed like a standard motel. Still the decor is nifty in the lobby and the typical concrete and steel blockish rooms were softened by the spiffy and dare I say comfortable chairs. The bed and pillows were exquisitely comfortable! The room was spotlessly clean each night, my bed perfectly remade - but my effects were left unmolested. I had few needs but the staff was very positive and helpful. No breakfast included but IHOP is adjoining. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed September 2013
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you rich_p_of_NJ for this awesome review! I am so glad we were able to exceed your expectations to what to return in the future. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was our first time staying at the Avatar property and we were pleasantly surprised at the friendly and well informed staff. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We were celebrating my family small reunion in San Clara so the staff was nice and gave us coupons for breakfast at the IHOP next door. We plan to stay again on our next trip to Santa Clara

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you Belinda J for this great five star review! I am happy that you got to enjoy your stay with us while attending your family reunion. We can't wait for you to come visit us again. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when making your next reservation.

Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I was drawn to this hotel because it belongs to Joie De Vivre, but it does not fit the chain. The bathroom / sink area is tiny and congested, the window faces a walkway, so you can't keep the curtains / window open, it sits close to Great America / Bowers St., thus pretty noisy, breakfast tickets are for ... IHOP of all places. It looks like a converted cheap motel.

• Stayed September 2013
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you ELBuscadorGrande for your feedback. I apologize the hotel was not up to your standards. I would like to invite you to talk with me further if you wish and see if there is anything else you may want to add. Again thank you, we can only improve if we receive the information.

Have a great day,