“Retro Concept Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Retro Concept Hotel”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Fun little hotel that must have once been a motel. All of the rooms are open and have an exterior entrance along walkway, with a window facing the walkway. It's been done up in a post-modern way, with good effect. Clean and simple, and convenient to some Silicon Valley business. Near Great America as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael F
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you Michael F for this four star review. I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay with us, we are a great place to stay with convenient access to many Silicon Valley business like you mention. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Boston, MA
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I love the Avatar as a concept. In execution, it's not quite a groovy as it could be. Location is great, and there are some nice touches like the in-room Keurig machine and *gasp* empty fridge so you can stock it as you like. However, once you get below the surface you notice some pretty poor quality elements, like flimsy drawers, and ultra cheap bathroom hardware and finishes. If everything really WERE as great as it LOOKS, this place would get four or five stars from me. Also the pool is a bit smaller and scruffier than the website conveys, and the staff were, while not outright rude, at best indifferent.

Room Tip: As a woman travelling alone, I found my room on the very outside of the building next to a parking l...
1 Thank BostonTraveller09
Thank you BostonTraveller09 for your review. We here at Avatar appreciate the feedback without it we would not be able to improve each guests experience. It is great you enjoyed the amenities of the room such as the refrigerator and the Keurig coffee maker. We have actually just started improving the bathroom hardware such as the shower handles and heads which we are going room by room. I hope we will see you again in the near future and the room will be more up to your standard.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A friend and I spent one night here while attending a conference. I enjoyed the complementary drink at happy hour and newspapers, the in-room Keurig coffee maker, the abundant parking, and the comfortable beds. It was clean. The double room was not large, but it had good lighting, toiletries, a chair, good charging stations, free wi fi - everything you need. (Attention, manager: the tissues need an upgrade!) Very small bathroom. I am not a big fan of exterior corridors, and that's what you have here. Yes, it seems like a rehabbed budget hotel, but it worked for us. There are a number of good dining options right across the busy street in a tiny strip mall. We had an excellent dinner at Sushi Express, and bagelwiches & lattes to go from the outstanding bagel place. iHop was - well, it was what you expect. Don't be surprised if a $50 "incidentals" charge shows up on your pending credit card bill. It will disappear unless you drank the water. I sleep with earplugs, so noise was not an issue. Nearby Mission College is an excellent place to walk in the morning, but the exercise room is above average.

Room Tip: Highest floor away from elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you TravelLightOften for this great review! We love it when our guests go above and beyond in reviewing our property and I am sure your fellow travelers also appreciate it. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and discovered the great surrounding restaurants. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Portland, OR
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This facility is not suitable for a solo female traveler. This is a motel style building. It should be advertised as a motel not hotel. Rooms all open on an exterior walkway with the only window also facing the walkway. The only window covering is a wooden lever blind with uncomfortable gaps. The door did not seem very solid. No visible security. Overpriced for what it is.

Staff is outstanding. Very helpful, friendly and understanding.

3 Thank cheryl200
Thank you Cheryl200 for your review, we appreciate all feedback and take it very seriously. I thank you for giving us five stars for our service what we lack in physical layout we try to make up with our customer service. I can assure you that this is an very safe area and we make the safety of our guests priority we have someone on property 24 hours and have a great relationship with the emergency services in the area. If you would be interested in contacting me to discuss in more detail i am more than happy to speak with you.

Have a great day

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel was updated to look modern and a bit trendy. I found it clean and functional. The staff was friendly and I appreciated the coffee maker and the free happy hour drink.
If you need anything, there are a couple of quick food places across the street and a small market to purchase toilet accessories, chips, beer, wine, etc.
I have not tried the complementary breakfast at the connected IHOP, or the pool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you janfrode for your review. It is always great to hear when someone enjoyed and takes advantage of the amenities such as the happy hour complimentary drink. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This will be my first choice on return trips, unless a client wants me to stay elsewhere and is footing the bill.

This place has mixed reviews, and I can see why, but I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. I got a $169 price on Kayak, $100 off a price I saw later - at THAT price it would be a joke. But at $169 - wow. Yes, it's sorta "Motel 6 with IKEA furniture" as one negative review said - but everything worked! Especially, the good free wifi beats the crap out of the $12.95 bad wifi at Marriotts. And Keurig in-room coffee? And pool and Jacuzzi, well maintained.

I'm not thrilled that it's attached to an iHOP but there's plenty more in the area, and I ordered less deadly fare than the iHOP usual. It's a half mile from the convention center and a 10 minute walk from a Starbucks.

I'll repeat the kudos for the service. Every person I spoke with was attentive and caring and fixed my issue on the first try.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you ePatientDave for this wonderful review! I am so glad you had the chance to stay with us your last visit to the area and it is great to hear that you will be back. Next time your in the area please let me know we are always happy to match and even beat rates that are on sites such as Kayak. It is also always great to here that the staff were all very caring and attentive, they all thank you for your recognition.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have to give them credit. Having red outdoor drapes around the pathways and snappy furnishings is a nice touch, but it is still has old cheap hotel bones. We had no hot water our first night there so could not shower after our travel day. However, the maintenance man was there right away and it was working by morning. There was some bad smell in the lobby when we checked in and someone was walking through spraying room spray. Not sure what that was about. But the staff were excellent and responded quickly to everything. But since we had to pay just under $200/night, that seemed pretty steep for such accommodations. I think it would be better if they weren't on a main thoroughfare. Lots of road noise and a junky area. There is an IHOP right next door with 10% off when you stay at the hotel. The pool area had Caribbean music playing which actually helped make the area feel relaxing despite the road noise.

Room Tip: All the rooms face in toward the pool and the street. Not sure how you would avoid road noise. Maybe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you katwave for your review. It is great to hear that the staffs level of service was excellent and quick in responding to your issues. I do however want to apologizing for the issues even occurring. We do fix everything as soon as it comes to our attention, but unfortunately not everyone brings it to our attention right away so thank you again for your review this is the best way we can improve. I hope we will get the chance to see you again in the near future and please reach out to me directly if you have any additional comments or questions.