“Very nice for its category”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Irkutsk, Russia
“Very nice for its category”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The rooms are cozy in the hotel. The swimming pool is also very nice. There is only one thing that bothered me a little - when you enter the lobby the artificial scented odor was so strong that it made me feel bad.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you Natalia for this great five star review! I am glad you found the rooms cozy and you got to enjoy the pool we had a wonderful January and beginning of the year here. Thank you also for your comment on our air freshener scent, I have gone ahead and adjusted this so our other guests do not have the same experience. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 December 2013

It's a motel outside doors for all the rooms. Carpets are stained, but otherwise clean. Everything works. Pillows are feathers or foam. Matresses have no box springs and are a bit soft. I slept well, but the experiencw is very basic.

Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you Brandt for your feedback. I am glad that you slept well, but am sorry to hear we didn't stand out of the crowd. We are actually currently going for a very large refresh on the property grounds creating a more private enclosed area to counter the outside doors. We would love to have you back in the future and make your next experience stand out among any others. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any suggestions where we could create a more of a wow experience.

afinch@jdvhotels.com
Rainbow Beach, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I had to write this review to help people make a decision regarding a superb night's sleep. I am a 57 year old woman who usually gets up 3 or 4 times a night to go to the bathroom. I don't drink booze or caffeine. After the first night I wondered why and woke up from a deep sleep. I told my husband it was so deep, I might have been close to death! LOL. Anyway, all three nights were the same. I asked the front desk if I could buy the pillow and they sold it to me at cost. They gave 4 for our room, $45 each. You can check yourself at downetc.com. Why they put in $180 worth of pillows in a $66 per night room is beyond me, but I am so grateful. In addition, my husband and I both agree we wanted to take the bed home too. We visit San Jose every other Thanksgiving and will choose this hotel over any other place to stay. For me, being able to sleep in this hotel's bed with these pillows will add to the excitement of our next trip!!! And by the way, the shower grout and caulking is clean, near new looking and that is a requirement for me to revisit.

Room Tip: Down pillows and superior comfort to make sleeping a heavenly experience.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the AWESOME five star review! I am so glad you finally got some great nights sleep. I hope your still sleep just as well at home now with our pillows. We are looking forward to your visit back next Thanksgiving.

Until Next Time,

California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Fun little hotel that must have once been a motel. All of the rooms are open and have an exterior entrance along walkway, with a window facing the walkway. It's been done up in a post-modern way, with good effect. Clean and simple, and convenient to some Silicon Valley business. Near Great America as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael F
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you Michael F for this four star review. I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay with us, we are a great place to stay with convenient access to many Silicon Valley business like you mention. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I love the Avatar as a concept. In execution, it's not quite a groovy as it could be. Location is great, and there are some nice touches like the in-room Keurig machine and *gasp* empty fridge so you can stock it as you like. However, once you get below the surface you notice some pretty poor quality elements, like flimsy drawers, and ultra cheap bathroom hardware and finishes. If everything really WERE as great as it LOOKS, this place would get four or five stars from me. Also the pool is a bit smaller and scruffier than the website conveys, and the staff were, while not outright rude, at best indifferent.

Room Tip: As a woman travelling alone, I found my room on the very outside of the building next to a parking l...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BostonTraveller09
Thank you BostonTraveller09 for your review. We here at Avatar appreciate the feedback without it we would not be able to improve each guests experience. It is great you enjoyed the amenities of the room such as the refrigerator and the Keurig coffee maker. We have actually just started improving the bathroom hardware such as the shower handles and heads which we are going room by room. I hope we will see you again in the near future and the room will be more up to your standard.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A friend and I spent one night here while attending a conference. I enjoyed the complementary drink at happy hour and newspapers, the in-room Keurig coffee maker, the abundant parking, and the comfortable beds. It was clean. The double room was not large, but it had good lighting, toiletries, a chair, good charging stations, free wi fi - everything you need. (Attention, manager: the tissues need an upgrade!) Very small bathroom. I am not a big fan of exterior corridors, and that's what you have here. Yes, it seems like a rehabbed budget hotel, but it worked for us. There are a number of good dining options right across the busy street in a tiny strip mall. We had an excellent dinner at Sushi Express, and bagelwiches & lattes to go from the outstanding bagel place. iHop was - well, it was what you expect. Don't be surprised if a $50 "incidentals" charge shows up on your pending credit card bill. It will disappear unless you drank the water. I sleep with earplugs, so noise was not an issue. Nearby Mission College is an excellent place to walk in the morning, but the exercise room is above average.

Room Tip: Highest floor away from elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you TravelLightOften for this great review! We love it when our guests go above and beyond in reviewing our property and I am sure your fellow travelers also appreciate it. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and discovered the great surrounding restaurants. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Portland, OR
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This facility is not suitable for a solo female traveler. This is a motel style building. It should be advertised as a motel not hotel. Rooms all open on an exterior walkway with the only window also facing the walkway. The only window covering is a wooden lever blind with uncomfortable gaps. The door did not seem very solid. No visible security. Overpriced for what it is.

Staff is outstanding. Very helpful, friendly and understanding.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank cheryl200
Thank you Cheryl200 for your review, we appreciate all feedback and take it very seriously. I thank you for giving us five stars for our service what we lack in physical layout we try to make up with our customer service. I can assure you that this is an very safe area and we make the safety of our guests priority we have someone on property 24 hours and have a great relationship with the emergency services in the area. If you would be interested in contacting me to discuss in more detail i am more than happy to speak with you.

Have a great day