“Still a motel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Warsaw, Poland
“Still a motel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Joie de Vivre brand promises classy property, but it's not. The entire hotel setup is still in its motel origins. Yes, the rooms were upgraded, but you still don't feel the comfort (motel-type front entrance with little privacy, thin walls, no curtains, just shades, lots of noise from around). Big disappointment for JdV branded hotel.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable. New bed. But again motel-style bathroom split with the sink outside (in the corner of the room). At least the bathtub and shower are upgraded. Still, you hear the neighbors snoring and see the people walking across your window to their rooms. Added value - 5-6am wakeup service provided by the IHOP deliveries or trash collectors. WiFi free, but rather slow. Very little security - the potential thief has only thin doors to cross to reach your room; and they can get to the property unnoticed from any angle.

Breakfast "served" in the adjacent IHOP (extremely slow service, 30 minutes waiting for the order to be received, then another 20 minutes waiting for the omelet). And you get only 10 USD voucher for the breakfast, so you will need to pay the unavoidable difference even if the rate says "breakfast included".

Talking about the rate - if it would be at 100 USD level, then this place would be a no-brainer for cost conscious travelers. But it's much more, easily getting to twice this value, which renders the offers of nearby Marriott and Hyatt much more attractive.

Room Tip: a room at the end of the corridor will limit the guest traffic in from of your window
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jamie L, Front Office Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you Miramaks for your time to complete this review. I'm so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us. Please know that we read and take these reviews very seriously when considering ways in which we can improve our guests stay and our customer satisfaction.

Thank you again. I truly appreciate your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I checked into this "hotel" as I was attending a conference across the road, and the host hotel was full for that night.
I told them I was arriving late, requesting a higher floor room.
When I got in, it took a while to get my booking, and you get breakfast vouchers to the iHop adjoining it, but they did not have it ready.
My room was in full view of the car park, accessible from just about anywhere, and you had to go through a desolate area to get to it.I was really uncomfortable with that.
The room was utilitarian - modernish decor but that's about it.
I was going to stay the 4 days of the event, but decided to move the next morning. Plus, the description of just across the road was inaccurate - it was quite a walk to manoeuvre my hand luggage across the road.
Oh yes - and even though I was quoted a day rate, it was not honoured, so I ended up paying a ridiculous price to boot!
There is no chance I will be back to Avatar hotel, even though I am going to be back in the area.

Room Tip: If you want the security of a regular hotel, you will not get it here.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tdmac
Mark S, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
I apologize that we did not meet you expectations. Our hotel is basic in the amenities offered but it does meet the needs of many business travelers. We are in the process of enclosing the property with a secured perimeter fence and re-landscaping the entire exterior. I am sorry once again your stay was not what was expected.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was the first time I stayed at a Joie de Vivre property. To be honest, before this I was not aware of such a hotel chain. This was a chance discovery.

I had booked on-line. The website needs some functional improvement.

Check-in was smooth and pleasant. Room decor and furnishing was bright and pleasant, though some repairs were needed. Wi-fi worked well.

The inter-connected iHop restaurant is a functional add-on.

In short, a good place to stay for the special pricing I got. Would go back again if I get the same price. I understand their "normal" pricing is way too high to be competitive.

1 Thank AVIDTRAVELLER53
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Like most Joie de Vivre hotels in which I've stayed, the Avatar is a comfortable and assidiuously clean property with quirky décor and an effective yet casual staff. Like others in the chain, the place is clearly designed to accommodate the travelling employees of the nearby high-tech businesses. Because of this fact, weekend rooms are a bargain! These rooms are outfitted with a refrigerator, but lacked a microwave. The "bar" open until 10 p.m. on Friday night reminded me of a giant family room, but served only beer and wine.

The staff members went out of their way to help, including accommodating a late reservation change, helping find the best place for dinner (Firk's steakhouse is blocks away), and making doubly sure that we had our complimentary bottle of water in the room.

Don't be alarmed when you hear people screaming in the distance as you walk out of your room. Great America and its roller coasters are literally across the street, making a great choice for a family trip to the theme park. The property includes a modest pool and hot tub.

IHOP shares the building. As usual, the food there was nearly inedible, but that is what I get for ordering anything other than breakfast at IHOP. Bennigan's is next door and a bounty of dining choices surround the hotel. Room service is available for lunch and dinner from an outside delivery service.

Green Features: The hotel obviously follows "green" practices, including low-flow plumbing (watch out for that jet toilet flush) and decorations from renewable materials.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at the Avatar and being a loyal Joie De Vivre customer.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

The hotel room itself wasn't too bad, but I've had better. Glad I wound up getting a deal from a third party site because I would have been upset if I had paid the regular price. Although it was clean, it was very noisy and the location of the room was poor (1st floor, near parking lot and next to boiler room.) It served it's purpose for the weekend and at least we were able to get 10% discount on IHOP right next door.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on higher floor and towards the back if you want a more quiet and peaceful...
2 Thank L G
Mark S, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
LG,
Thank you for your feed back about your recent stay with us. Yes, having IHOP on site is a unique feature of our hotel which most guest really enjoy. Sorry to hear you experienced some noise on the first floor. Typically our hotel is relatively quiet.
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights when I was in Santa Clara for business. This hotel feels like it use to be a Motel 6 but you pay $300/night. It has been recently painted and the soap is nice but the AC is old and noisy. The carpet had stains on it. The windows don't have curtains but blinds that don't keep the light out.

If you are use to a business class hotel, I would stay away.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank IanSkerrett
Thank you IanSkerrett for your review. I'm so sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Know that we are continually improving our property and are currently undergoing some great changes and upgrades.

Thank you again for your time. I hope that you can give us another shot the next time you are in Santa Clara.
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel was very nice. I needed a place to crash for one night, and the price was right. It is right across the street from the new stadium where the 49ers will be playing in 2014-15. The staff was very friendly, and it is right next to an IHOP and Bennigans. While not ultra classy joints, they have staple food you know will be good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you Papasierra6 for this awesome review! We are so clad you enjoyed your stay with us and the location of the property. Hopefully you will be back in the fall for a 49ers game of two! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Until next time,