“I love going to San Jose just to stay in this hotel.”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 February 2010

I absolutely love the Joie de vivre hotels, and this is one of my favorites. The room is so cozy, and some of my favorite things are the lighting, which can be dimmed so you aren't sitting in an overlit room (I hate that!), the iPod alarm clock, the super comfortable bed, the great decor, and the staff are always friendly and accommodating. The location is great- close to the freeways and easy to get to. And you can't beat the rates-- it's awesome. Also if you sign up for the Joie de Vivre "joy of life" club, you get complimentary wine or water upon arrival. So nice!
My ONLY suggestion is that they add sheers-- there are blinds on the windows, which is great at night, but if you open the blinds, everyone can see in. It'd be nice to be able to see out without people being able to see in.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 January 2010

As an avid business and leisure traveler for the last 20 yrs, I've stayed in >100 hotels all over the world, from $30/night to $500/night, and I'd honestly say this is my favorite, period.
I stayed here 3 times in 3 different rooms for a total of ~3 wks, and loved it. It's clean, modern, comfortable, well located, cheap, and the service was top notch--friendly and responsive. (And I'm pretty demanding.) Had a minor billing discrepancy, but they corrected it immediately, to my benefit, with apologies and professionalism. From the dual leather massaging recliners and gaming consoles in the common area/lounge, to free high-speed internet, gym, pool, business center, and huge flatscreens in every room, this is the most functional, tasteful, and reasonably priced hotel in which I've ever stayed. It is a 'motel' layout, with no interior hallways leading to the rooms, so you walk right out your door into the open air...but I quickly came to prefer that, because it's Santa Clara, so the weather's always gorgeous.
Seriously, I've never taken the time to review a hotel before, but the fact that I felt compelled to in this case should say something. In two words: stay here.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I stayed at the Avatar Hotel over Christmas Weekend while visiting friends and family in Silicon Valley. (Not to disappoint you, but there are no 10-foot-tall blue bipedal cats anywhere in the hotel.) The location is great--just off of Highway 101 in Santa Clara, convenient to just about anywhere in the valley from Palo Alto to San Jose, and very close to San Jose Airport. The room was clean and comfortable, with a big LCD TV and an iPod/iPhone-compatible clock radio. They have a game room with multiple flat-screen TVs, and my favorite--two OSIM massage chairs that I used every day during my stay.

There's an International House of Pancakes right in the hotel. It's not great food, but they're open 24 hours, and were open for breakfast and lunch on Christmas. (A Bennigan's is right next door.) There are lots of restaurants nearby, from an In-and-Out Burger around the corner to sushi and high-end steakhouses. The hotel has a 24-hour business center available for free guest use, and there's a FedEx Office less than a mile away if you need more extensive office services. Fry's flagship store is less than two miles away, and a Micro Center is even closer.

It's not luxurious, but it was fun and an excellent value.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I stayed here over the Thanksgiving week, they keep this place picked up and clean.
The room was clean and nice.. wifi worked great! Breakfast was always good..
These guys run a tight ship.. they want to know how things are, if there's anything they can do for you.
There was a guy there painting 2 days while I was there,
And walking distance to food and alcohol..

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2009

On my recent trip to Santa Clara I decided to change from my normal stay at the Hyatt down the street because I heard that the Best Western Avatar was a new hotel brand to the area. I have to say the designer of the hotel did an amazing job coming up with such a tech-savy theme. Lobby was very nice, and very clean with the smallest little touches that really light up with the Silicon Valley is about. Staff at the Front Desk was superb in that it was fast, efficient, but also delivered the customer service that I always liked. When I got to my room I have to say that it was very modern, very clean cut, and very usable. The laptop tray for using your laptop on the bed was a nice touch as I was constantly using it during my stay. The only thing was the shower and tub area didn't seem to be very much remodeled. But that wasn't a problem.

I have to say that the more time I spent at the hotel the better it got. When I got off from my meeting I was able to enjoy the fitness center that overlooks the pool. Also the business center area was up to date in the Apple Mac computer department which was very nice to see.

Not alot of hotels actually put quality items into their hotels because of the normal wear and tear, but the Avatar Hotel sure did make it feel like home! It was also a good price! The rate that I got directly from the hotel website was amazing and my company was very thankful because they were the ones paying for my trip. However, I wouldn't have mined picking up the tab because after work I was able to enjoy all the amenities that were being offered. Will be back to the Avatar!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank craigsselle
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Booked this place because of all the raving reviews here, and i have no regrets. The place is really trendy & fresh. The rooms have the same look & feel. It's not really spacious but just big enough for two. One thing that stood out here was the bed mattress, it's some kind of foam that takes on your body shape, bottom-line you get a great sleep on these. the alarm clock is ipod ready which is another nice extra. The only thing missing is an in-room safe. In our room we had some issue's with warm water but that didn't matter in the overall experience. The hotel have plenty of facilities. First the fitness center is equipped with new modern equipment. The business center has 2 imac's and a which run windows or mac-os and are limited to 30 min sessions (great feature if it's busy). Then there is some kind of central family room which has about 5 LCD TV's with PS3, WII etc, It's all decorated in trendy colors and the layout makes it a cool place to hang-out. Same thing for the lobby. There's free wifi coverage across the hotel and there's is an IHOP attachted and a Bennigans grill restaurant next door, both give you 10% off if you show your room-card. The only thing i didn't like was the outdoor lightning. It's really bright and you can close the shades but there are no curtain to really darken the room. (i read in an earlier review hotel management was going to install diffusors but i didn't see them). Across the street you find a couple of small lunch/diner shops and a supermarket with ATM. Overall i really liked this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dutchman02
Reviewed 5 November 2009

This hotel, like some others in the JDV chain, is a renovated motel. The rooms are very well done, and once you're inside them, you don't feel like you're in a 1980's Best Western. However, there's only so much they can do to the outside - which is very motel like, complete with an attached IHOP.

My room was immaculate, and all of the amenities worked right. The free wifi was good, and not too slow. I appreciated the free business center, with printing, and it looked like the living room would have been a fun place to hang out. The airport shuttle is a nice touch, but seemed to get booked up quick: I couldn't get a ride to the convention center because of trips to the airport.

Some irritations: on checkin, I was given a room that had not been cleaned. No problem, my new room was fine. However, someone had set the alarm for midnight. I could not figure out how to turn it off, and when I called the front desk the clerk didn't know either. Ended up having to unplug it.

That all said, the hotel is a good value, and seemed fresher than the Hyatt where my colleagues were staying.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business