“Everything we needed and more in lovely suite”

Biltmore Hotel & Suites
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Sacramento, California
“Everything we needed and more in lovely suite”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We needed a suite right after my daughter had surgery. This hotel was perfect for her recuperation, and the manager Monty was especially kind to us. The suite had a private bedroom where my daughter could sleep with a separate living room that had a very comfortable bed for me. She even had her own access to the bathroom without having to go through the living room. Ben and Jerrys ice cream for sale in the lobby was an added bonus as were the free chocolate chip cookies put out in the lobby at night for guests.
We called for extra pillows late one night -no problem. Free Internet was helpful in order to receive all the well wishes from friends. Two restaurants with room service also helped so we did not have to leave our daughter to get food.
Monty went out of his way to assist us when my sister came to help out and needed a room. He extended a discount and checked her in by phone and made sure the room was waiting and her keys all ready at the front desk. Going through surgery out of town with a child is a stressful time, and our stay at the Bilmore helped make it much more tolerable. I highly recommend a stay there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Gold River, CA
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I booked this 24 hours ahead of arrival via Priceline. The total price I received was about $30.00 less per night than found on their website. However, it is one of the rare times I've felt like an unwanted guest when I checked in. I asked for a room with two beds (traveling with business acquaintance) but was told my room had been preselected (one queen bed...a murphy bed at that.) I asked if anything else available but was told hotel was sold out and nothing could be done. I asked to speak to manager and was told to wait 20 minutes while they checked with housekeeping to see if some "newly renovated rooms are ready." Meanwhile, the room I was originally given was on the first floor, view of parking lot, average decor, but very large. In fact, it's the first time I recall ever getting a room with a full sized dining room table placed in the middle of the room..it seated 6 people. It would be a great room if you're hosting a poker party.
20 minutes later I was given a different room, in an older section of the hotel, with two twin beds. The room was comfortable, with a small TV, coffee maker, and okay beds. The room was reasonable clean and quiet. I was told that wifi would cost $10.00 because I was a priceline customer. (It's included to guests who pay full rack rate.) Threre is an average pool and average fitness room. Free newspaper in the lobby.
If I was traveling alone, it wouldn't have been an issue. And I know priceline caters to a single or couple who will be sharing a bed, but in the 30+ times I've used Priceline to get a room and have requested two beds, it has NEVER been an issue until today. So, it left a bad taste.
I will say the staff were polite enough and did honor my request after using the " can I talk to the manager" card, but I still couldn't get over the fact we were twice put in the oldest sections of the hotel and in rooms that were not desirable. The parking lot was crowded and perhaps the hotel was full, but my bet is that it was not full, we were just being given the "you're a priceline customer." I do not hide the fact I used Priceline and feel that if a hotel wants to use priceline to fill it's rooms, it should treat you the same as everyone else, including free wifi and not a gouge in the pocketbook to "make up" what they lost by offering the room at a 25% or so discount.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Mikeandcris
Puulani, Director of Sales at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 22 July 2010
Thank you very much for you review, we appreciate your review and you taking the time to say that our staff was very polite and friendly

We also wanted to apologize to you that you did not get the room you preferred, but we were in fact sold out completely and had no rooms available on that night and had to turn business away.

Thank you again and we hope that you will try our property again when you travel this way. We hope you have the opportunity to also try the best buffet breakfast in town too.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Clara hotels

Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 July 2010

If you book on a third party site be prepared to not be treated as well as their other guests. For third party site guests they will charge you ten dollars per day for Internet while other guests get it for free. Upon checking in you are required to let them charge fifty dollars to a credit card for incidentals, which will be refunded two weeks after check out. The lady at the desk told me this was standard policy for people booking on a third party site. I requested an interior room after reading multiple reviews on trip advisor and received a decent room. The room was away from the better part of the hotel with the elevators. The room service was alright, don't expect to be able to order off the late night menu. We tried ordering food two nights in a row and no one ever answered the phone. Even after my husband went down to the front desk to ask if they were still serving no one answered. This hotel made us feel like we were unwanted guests and I will be staying somewhere else next time where all customers are treated equally.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank ko456
Thank you very much for your review, we do appreciate your feedback. First, we wanted to apologize that you didn't feel like a wanted guest and we want to assure you and all our guests at the Biltmore Hotel and Suites that we appreciate everyone of our guests! We wanted to also tell everyone that if you book through our website and you automatically get complimentary wireless access and cooked to order breakfast for two people with each stay. We warn all of our guests not to use a debit card as we do have to authorize all credit cards for every stay, but with a debit card, it does take longer to get back, verses a credit card which can be refunded immediately. This is true for ALL hotels and not just us I promise.
We would also like to apologize that your stay was less then what you expected and would like you to give us a try the next time you're in our area as our VIP guest.
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 21 June 2010

My cousin had her wedding ceremony and reception at this hotel. Many of us also booked rooms for the weekend (we easily had 12+ rooms). The rating is for the customer service we (as a group collectively) received. It should really be only 1 star but I know many people will automatically skip over the review assuming I was overly harsh. If it weren't for two individuals, it would have been 5 stars of service 3.5 stars for the actual venue.

As far as the facility goes, the garden used for the ceremony and hall used for the reception were nice. The complementary breakfast was ok for the price (i.e. free) but on the second morning, a few of us decided to go and eat elsewhere off the property for some better food. Our main issues with the food was that the eggs were a bit dry and the bacon soaked in oil (it was the last of the bacon before it was refilled but on my plate, it looked like the bacon was served in a sauce of oil). I will say the food served at the wedding was delicious. The prime rib was juicy and cooked to perfection and the salmon was just perfect. Visually, the hotel appeared to be dated and could use some remodeling in the rooms but the front lobby and main banquet hall areas were modern and stylish.

I will have to say that Emily, the event coordinator who was working with us throughout the event was professional, excellent and was great to work with. She made things run smoothly even though there were many "on-the-fly" schedule changes to throughout the event.

The main problem we had was with the staff, two people in particular. The first was one of the people working at the reception desk. The bride was given a bridal suite as part of the contract for the wedding (this was a standard suite with a connecting 2nd smaller bedroom). On the day of the wedding, the mother of the bride had gone to the reception desk to reserve another room (one of their garden rooms). Once she had paid and room was reserved, it was discovered that the reception clerk had charged her for the 2nd attached bedroom (part of the bridal suite that was already included in the contract) and had given her the keys for that room. When the sister of the bride/main point of contact with the hotel had gone down to resolve this mistake (note: mistake made by the staff), the clerk had given her attitude and had even cut her off as she was trying to explain the problem. It was eventually resolved but it had clearly angered and irritated both the bride and the sister of the bride. This was totally unnecessary and could have easily been avoided had he taken the time to listen rather than interrupting the sister of the bride through her explanation of the problem. I personally did not have any issues with the front desk staff, and they were quite helpful to me but because they cleared caused the bride some anger and frustration on the day of her wedding, I can't give a positive review for them.

The second and more alarming issue we had with a staff member was a particular tall, skinny, darker skinned (can't remember his name) waiter in the banquet hall. Throughout the night, several people had noticed and indicated that this waiter wasn't very polite. I personally observed him speaking to several guests in a condescending and outright rude tone. It wasn't quite what he was saying but a lot more of how he said it. At the end of the night as guests were leaving the banquet hall area, he was observed by several people, including myself to have yelled loudly, "f... you" towards a few of the wedding guests who were also PAYING customers staying in the hotel. I did not see if the waiter was provoked in any way as I was walking the other direction but I find it UNACCEPTABLE for any staff member to speak in such a manner towards any guest of the hotel. There is no need for such language to be used at a wedding event especially by an employee still on the clock working for the venue. This is inexcusable.

Aside from these two individuals, we had a great time at the hotel but overall, I can't give a positive review.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank rob1208
Thank you very much for your kind review and we are so pleased that you had such a great time at our property and that the event was such a great success. We followed up with the staff member that you described and took appropriate action. We just want to thank you again for taking time to post this
Denver, CO
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The Biltmore is not worth the extra money. If you book on Orbitz they put you in the older section of the hotel. The rooms are tiny. I would compare it to a Ramada.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Kaya824
San Jose
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Having booked thousands of meetings through out the years through out the Bay Area - NEVER have I had the extreme pleasure of saying there wasn't one thing amiss. KUDOS to the Catering staff from the Manager, Amy to Sayid the Banquet Captain, to Catalina our server to the Front Desk and up to and including the AP/AR Team there wasn't anything they wouldn't or couldn't do for us. Our Seminar was a huge success due to their compentancy. It was a stress free experience all the way....

K.R. Hansen, EA, SuperMedia LLC

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SuperMedia
admin31, Manager at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 13 July 2010
Kudos to you for taking the time out of your day to post this review, and we're glad your seminar went well. We're always pleased when someone takes the time out of their day to commend our staff on a job well done, and I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to them. Thank you again, and we're looking forward to your next successful meeting at the Biltmore.
california
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I would really recommend this hotel, front desk extremely friendly, our room
was in the main part of the hotel, and right next to freeway exits. Nice bar and
restraunt also. You can't beat the price, and would stay again!

Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends