“One of Best sushi in Santa Cruz”
Review of Sushi Totoro

Sushi Totoro
Ranked #271 of 376 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We have many but this one is really good sushi in Santa Cruz
..nice service from Hank and his parents who run the place. Try the specials. The fish is fresh.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

.They're a bunch of happy young suchi chefs
and young anglo waitresses, delivering the real deal.
Sometimes noisy.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Service was great and the sushi was great. Lots of choices. Its a small place, but we went early and had no problem getting in.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We eat at Sushi Totoro on a regular basis. We usually order bento boxes and then split 1-2 specialty rolls. The portions are reasonable-sized and priced reasonably as well, and there are many "interesting" rolls—we like the double hamachi roll and the TNT (deep fried spicy tuna roll).

One drawback is that the restaurant is small (seats about 40 people), so there can be a wait when they're busy. Also, the restaurant can be somewhat loud.

Overall, it's a decent neighborhood sushi bar - nothing spectacular, but a good place to go if you want to leave downtown Santa Cruz.

2  Thank santacruzer_95060
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Drove through Santa Cruz to Davenport on Hwy 1 and felt like I needed a sushi snack...saw the sign for sushi Totoro and pulled into their parking lot. I like the Totoro caricature..its a popular cartoon in Japan and apparently in the U.S. too.
I sat at a little table by the door and looked through their menu and was suprised and how many rolls had sauces on them. I ordered a couple of nigiri sushi and also some rolls. The nigiris were so-so, couldnt taste any flavor in the rice and the rolls!!!?? The rolls were slathered in sauces up the wazoo! I could barely taste the fish inside the rolls..I'm guessing the sauce was to cover up the fact that they dont know how to make sushi rice....I'm a little on the traditional side when it comes to my sushi, so I definitely would not come here for sushi again. In all fairness, I did not try their lunch or dinner but I dont think I'll be back for a long while even for that.

1  Thank 2pickydiner