“Can't wait to celebrate my birthday there!”
Review of Dream Inn

Dream Inn
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Modesto
“Can't wait to celebrate my birthday there!”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

The room was beautifully decorated, clean and classy. The bed was oh, so comfortable! You could see the ocean, the wharf and the boardwalk from the patio. The in room coffee was single serve so each cup was fresh. The pool and spa were clean and just the right temperature. Just walk down the steps from poolside and you were on the sand.
The staff was very, very accomodating in any request we had.
Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Just try it. We're sure you'll love it.
1 Thank A P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Monte Sereno
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Don't miss staying at this hotel. Every room has an ocean front deck. We loved everything about it. The staff is exceptional. We will go again and again.

San Mateo, California
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I stayed here with my family at the end of June. For some reason the Santa Cruz Boardwalk area has many below average, run-down looking motels that charge a high rate based on their proximity to the beach & Boardwalk. The Dream Inn is the best choice by far if you are staying in the area. They are right on the beach, they are in walking distance to the Boardwalk, and they have a swimming pool. Everything we needed for our stay in Santa Cruz with two young kids.

The rooms were clean, nicely decorated and all have ocean views with a balcony. The view from our room was wonderful. There is definitely a "beach town" feel to this hotel. Don't expect an over-the-top, fancy entryway with expensively decorated corridors, etc. This hotel is designed exactly as it should be for a beach-side hotel that fits in well with the culture of Santa Cruz.

The beach is not the cleanest around, but the hotel is not at fault for that. The pool was very nice. We enjoyed the hot tub, and my kids loved the kiddie pool. People traveling without kids - since there is a kiddie pool and a family friendly feel to the hotel, expect noise from kids if you are on your balcony, near the pool or at the restaurant. However I did not hear any noise from outside or other rooms while inside my own room. And my room was above the pool area too.

The short walk to the boardwalk was great. The customer service was above par as well. We hope to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Stacy1974
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Great place for couples to chill, and very family friendly. Great pool area, the crab wontons from Aquarious (restaurant attached) are amazing and the staff (Sasha, Sarah and Aaron by the pool are the best!) is fantastic. We are likely coming back in October with multiple couples and have been recommending it to all our friends.

2 Thank Chris C
rld9, Front Office Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
We look forward to your imminent return and look forward to having the rest of our staff attempt to equal Sasha, Aaron and Sarah's Can Do attitude! Until next time!
Seattle
Reviewed 6 September 2011

35th anniversary trip included a few days on the beach in Santa Cruz.....and that's exactly where the Dream Inn sits! Have stayed here Years ago but without our kids. We had a room w/2 Queen beds facing the ocean(as do all the rooms). We were on the main level but heard no one above and no one in hallways. Here's the deal with being close to the pier, seals. so while sleeping w/ open door to hear the ocean lull you to zzzzzzz, you may also get seal barking. Thank goodness there is a fan ac/heater unit that adds white noise.
The room has a Kourig coffee machine, which was great ( or front desk has some great coffee out too). The room isn't hugh but even with 3 guys & mom, we managed the bathroom without issue.
The staff & there is plenty, was great with any interaction we had, be it getting restaurant suggestions, directions, valet for car. When checking in I explained to front desk about the mix up on my reservation (website made 2 & when I called to verify reservation said I needed just one reservation and 1 was to have been cancelled. Fortunately I called before arrive to confirm & was told both reservations had been cancelled ( ah oh) but there were avails so re-booked but not the original package with parking.). So after explaining to front desk, they comp'ed the valet parking, which I didn't ask for but thought was nice!
Didn't get a printout @ ck out. Just a thank you, we'll email your bill. Didn't get the bill for almost a week & it charged for the parking, so called, re-explained and without a blink (no it wasn't a video call), they credited the parking. Cool! We enjoyed the pool. Boys the beach. The boardwalk & pier are steps away ( the donut shop a bit further of a walk but beautiful is you walk along the ocean cliffs). We would/will definitely stay here again. Way to go Dream Inn!

Room Tip: Just be aware of sea lion noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MegamomSeattle
rld9, Front Office Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
We look forward to having you with us again soon to fall asleep to the soothing sounds of nature. I am sorry that you had a problem with the bill upon departure but am glad to hear that we were able to resolve the issue in a timely manner and to your satisfaction. Thank you for the very positive feedback!
Chicago
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Good-
The view at this hotel is exceptional (king cloud room). The room was fine and the bathroom was spacious enough.
My wife and I loved the location- easy to walk the beachfront, west cliff drive and to the downtown area.
We appreciated the restaurant recommendations from Jen at the front desk and the friendly drink service from Abby (sp?) at the pool bar.
There was also a manager who was very friendly and helpful but I don’t recall his name (mid- 20’s, tall, fair skinned with a short haircut).

Bad-
DON’T bother with the valet service, just park in the lot across the street. The valet workers are way too cool for school. I’ve no clue why I was left sitting in the car on two separate occasions while the valet workers stood around and chatted. The first time was the most frustrating because we had arrived at SFO 2 hours earlier after waking up at 4 a.m. to fly there from Chicago. We were both tired and eager to get out of the car. After sitting in the driveway for 10 minutes I backed out and parked myself. No one asked if we needed help with luggage after carrying it across the street. Bottom line, the hotel should address this or eliminate the whole valet system (I began to wonder if it would work more smoothly if they weren’t even there…). A lousy valet system such as this is an easy way to leave a poor first impression on an arriving visitor.
I called the front desk to whine about the valet service after we checked-in and was told that she would talk to “the boys” about it. Note- they are not “boys”. They are men in their early 20’s (and up) who appear to have a great time socializing with one another while working. After the negative check-in experience I decided to give “the boys” another chance a day later and the result was the same. The hilarity/absurdity in the second instance was that there was only ONE other car in the driveway and THREE valet workers huddled around their little desk. I then decided than it would be better to park the car myself and avoid the aggravation.
The pool is small and crowded. This is obviously not something the hotel can control. The issue however is that they charge $7 for a draft and $12 for a mixed drink yet appear to let people bring their own drinks out to the pool.
I saw more than a few Styrofoam coolers and people drinking beers that were not offered at the bar (Is this a KOA or a purported 4-star hotel that charges nearly $400 per night?)

Sad-
The onsite restaurant, Aquarius is something I will politely call interesting. I’m not sure if the restaurant is owned/managed by the Dream Inn or if there are separate entities. They have a great view with decent service. The oddity is the menu, especially the room service and breakfast menu’s.
The room service menu is very sparse with limited options (especially sandwiches). The breakfast menu lacked in many areas as well, especially in regards to offering any fresh fruit or smoothies. It was kind of surprising considering the amount of farms that are in the Monterey Bay area.
While the food tasted decent I would not eat there again (there are many options on the Warf and near the beach that are far more affordable).
In summation, I would not stay here again. The view and location were great but there appear to be better options in the area. Note to management, don’t bother trying to contact me as I’m not really interesting in debating any of the content of my review.

Room Tip: Upper floors have the best views (duh)
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dbk51
As this guest has explicity asked not to be contacted by our management team, we are unfortunately unable to make any necessary amends for the issues encountered over their stay. We would hope to impress upon a future stay of course given the opportunity.
Esher, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Fantastic hotel which ticked all the boxes - great location right on the beach, wonderful staff who couldn't have been more helpful, and beautifully appointed clean room.
Would highly recommend.