“Overrun with loud families”
Review of Dream Inn

Dream Inn
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Nice place in a good location. Staff is helpful, friendly and ready to serve. We were there during spring break week (early April) so lots of families. Went out to the pool (the advertised main draw for us), and found it rather crowded. Out of towels for 30 minutes. Pool area so cramped that you couldn't help but overhear others conversations.

Pool is nice - so is access to their beach. Just had a sense of vacationing with dozens of others.

Rooms were nice - albeit slightly small for our family of 4 (two teens and two adults). We had 2 queen beds and did quite well. Free wifi was nice and view of the Pacific a big plus. All in all I recommend given that it probably beats others in the area overall but I couldn't help but feel like it was super busy.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Thank you for your feedback. During spring break we certainly do enjoy hosting many families on vacation with kids of all ages who enjoy all that Santa Cruz has to offer; from the boardwalk to the beach! If you are ever looking for a quiet or romantic getaway we highly recomennd midweek stays. We hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Dream Inn

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We would stay there again. It's a little pricey but probably the best option if you want to be on the beach and within walking distance to the Boardwalk. Great view of the ocean. The service was great, the room was nice and our kids enjoyed the pool while we enjoyed the hot tub. If we stay in Santa Cruz overnight again it will be at Dream Inn.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I found a great deal on travelzoo for my family to travel at spring break to the Dream Inn. We had a great time at a much more affordable cost this trip. It seems that JDV has adjusted the pricing of rooms now to fit a more "family" budget instead of the much higher prices we paid when it first was taken over by them a few years ago.
On this trip there were TONS of little kids. The kiddy pool was cemented in and all the kids are in the pool as well as the hottub.
The food prices are way over priced. Breakfast was not to our expectations for the price. Don't get it. We had $50 per day included in our rate. Go to Ideal Bar and grill down the street for breakfast at more than half the price as room service. We love that place.
I drank at the pool bar, $12 per drink, I happen to see what the bartender was pouring on the second drink and it was cheap vodka. I called her on it and she responded with both vodkas are the same price, uh no. We are talking cheap vs. Stoli, Stoli is still not the vodka I normally drink but it isn't the $4 bottle she was pouring. The bar menu says the bloody mary contained Stoli and she was pouring cheap stuff. If I hadn't called her on it she would have passed off the cheap stuff as Stoli. I rarely drink so when I do spend $12 for a drink on vacation I want what the menu says.
All in all it was a wonderful stay with very good sleep on comfy, clean beds. We were at pool level which we prefer.
I would have rated the hotel higher had the food and drink been better.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We wish to provide only the best in service and amenities, and I would like to apologize if we fell short in delivering that experience to you. Please do not hesistate to contact me directly at the hotel if you have any additional feedback to share. Thank you, and we hope to exceed your expectations on a future stay.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Nice clean hotel with a modern vibe. Great ocean view EXCEPT for the 3rd floor bottom level directly across from the elevators and ice room. The voices echo loudly! The staff seems nice, cordial if not almost aloof at times. Maybe if I had a room on a different floor the circumstances would have been better. You could hear the elevator doors open and close and that bell didn't help matters. Too bad because the hotel is updated and like I said clean. Just make sure you avoid the 3 floor.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank harveykins
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The Dream Inn was a perfect location for a night away. Our room had a stunning unobstructed ocean view of the Santa Cruz Wharf, nicely decorated, comfortable and relaxing. Amazing location, walk out to the Santa Cruz wharf or right over to the boardwalk, head the other direction and stroll the scenic paths of West Cliff Drive or head to downtown Santa Cruz and take in the local scene. Dinner at the hotel restaurant "Aquarius" was outstanding! Amazing views from every table, excellent food, local ingredients. Came back the next morning for a freshly prepared breakfast and enjoyed the sunrise.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your extensive review! We ar eglad to hear that your stay at the Dream Inn and your dinning experience at Aquarius were above your expectations! We hope to have you back sooner rather than later to enjoy another scenic walk along West Cliff Dr.!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Selected this hotel primarily from Trip Advisor reviews. Couldn't have been happier! Almost went somewhere else, due to the price. But when I called and spoke to an agent, she told me about a special that was available through a website. I couldn't find it, so she gave it to me anyway. That was my first of many interactions with a very helpful staff. They did everything they could to make our stay more pleasant.

The hotel is literally on the beach...the only Santa Cruz hotel that can claim that. And all the rooms face the bay. Perfect for watching surfers and paddle boarders. It was a little cool when we were there, but I would imagine the beach gets pretty busy in the summer.

The restaurant has a beautiful view of the bay and the beach. The food was marginal, but the service was attentive and cheerful.

The location is an easy walk to the pier where there are several restaurants and bars to choose from.

All in all, we look forward to returning to Santa Cruz and the Dream Inn!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong. All the rooms face the bay. We prefer being up high and loved our view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am glad to see that the power of social media aided in your selection of Hotel, and we look forward to providing the same level of service on your next stay. Thank you for sharing!

Reviewed 25 March 2013

This is really a motel in a beautiful setting. Excellent service, and well-maintained. The location is a busy one, on a busy street and next to the Boardwalk, but our room faced the ocean and was very peaceful. We will return.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family