“Room Location Can Make or Break a Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Dream Inn

Dream Inn
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Room Location Can Make or Break a Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Room Location: Your entire hotel experience at this property may very well be dependent on these two words. A room assignment in the 100-300 rooms overlooking (better description “on top of”) the pool, unless you are a family with young children, may very well provide a very negative experience. Here is my experience – it will help to note I travel extensively for business and pleasure and was traveling with my older teenagers.

I was pleasantly surprised when the front desk staff called me, at noon on the day of my arrival (I had joined the Joy of Life club and a pre arrival call was an amenity, informing me that the high floor room I had requested was available for an early check in. I explained that since we were in Palo Alto touring Stanford, we would not be at the property until 4pm or so and requested that they hold the room for me. The friendly clerk confirmed our arrival that afternoon and said the room would be awaiting us when we arrived at the property. Great!
When we arrived at 4pm to check in, the great impressions vanished. Our high floor room, being held, had vanished. “I am sorry, we are completely booked tonight and have no high floor rooms available” was the response when I recounted my earlier conversations with a different front desk employee (a cheerful young woman called me – a surly gentleman checked me in). I was assigned to a room in the low 300’s, third floor. We went to the room – what a disappointment. The 100-300 rooms are in an old motel wing (now renovated), but have exterior doors. As I was traveling with two teenage girls – I had safety concerns with this scenario. On top of this – the road noises from West Cliff drive came right through the door. The balcony of the room overlooked the pool which was filled to capacity with screaming children. Even with the door wall shut you could hear everything. So much for a restful stay. I went back to the desk completely dismayed and asked for a possible room assignment – the clerk told me there wasn’t anything he could do. Wonderful. Thankfully the pool emptied out by 11, but the road noise continued. I cranked up the AC so the fan could drown out the noise. I felt like I was in a Motel 6.

The next morning I went to the front desk, and relieved to find different staff members on duty, calmly explained my situation. Jennifer attempted to help me out by looking for alternate room situations for noting that I seemingly had been placed in the “family” area of the property. She looked for a tower room for me (I had requested a tower room in the first place). Magically, there was a room in the tower I could move to immediately. Although it was still a third floor room, she assured me it would be much more quiet, and, being a tower room, had an inside corridor. I found it extremely interesting that this room was not available at 4pm the day before, but was somehow available at 8am the next morning….. Customer service is everything. I agreed to move and went back to pack up our belongings.

Reappearing at the front desk 45 minutes later, teenagers and luggage in tow, Jennifer was on break and the other attendants knew nothing of the move. Oh Joy – no pun intended. We were headed to UCSC for a tour, so our luggage could be stored while the situation was ironed out. When we returned, Jennifer was back at the desk and all was right again with the world. We were given the keys to a lovely third floor room in the tower. The view was fantastic and the room was quiet morning, noon and night. Perfect. We enjoyed the rest of our stay.

In summary: if you are not traveling with young children request an upper floor room in the tower – even spring for a cloud room. The rooms over the pool are noisy and the outside entry rooms feel insecure and have road noise. The tower rooms are the preferred rooms – perfect views. The pool is nice but small. It was extremely crowded and people got up early to hold lounge chairs with towels (made me feel like I was at the Marriott in Aruba). The hot tub was always filled with unattended children. We did have lunch by the pool – service was slow (expected given the number of people being served that day), but the food was decent – not great, but decent. All the frozen drink machines were out of order…. The room itself (tower) was nice – comfortable beds, nice balcony, perfect views, with an updated, colorful but smaller bathroom. Would I stay here again – as it is the only hotel right on the beach, yes – but would only occupy a cloud room.

Room Tip: Avoid the 100-300 numbered rooms that are not in the tower at all costs!
11 Thank skiscubamom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

staff was rude in checking in--way over priced for what you receive---would never have stayed here, except I had joie de vivre credits. upon checking out, the clerk completely screwed up and didn't apply the credits of $1,500 and had to correct the bill to include the credit. guess what!! I just received my credit card bill and he didn't pull the incorrect charge so I am billed twice and now am fighting it to get it corrected!! avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: any place but this one
7 Thank kcreds45
Aisha O, Public Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hello kcreds45,

We are very sorry that your experience was not to our typical standard. We would like to investigate this further. Please contact us at mschultz@jdvhotels.com or 831.460.5007 so that we can resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Warmest regards,

Santa Cruz Dream Inn
Lincoln, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed for one night, during spring break. We had a room on the tenth floor, it was awesome. The hotel is right on the beach, the swimming pool is awesome, but super crowded from am-pm. It's clean, food is good, it's expensive but so worth it.

2 Thank Michelle A
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to Santa Cruz; we looked at many hotels before deciding on the Dream Inn. The hotel sits on a bluff above the ocean on a soft sand beach adjacent to the Santa Cruz pier. All of the rooms face the ocean; there is a pool and hot tub just above the beach with easy access to the beach.

The rooms have a large screen TV, a desk with many electrical plugs(!), a Keurig coffee maker and a comfortable bed. Each room had an adequate balcony with 2 chairs. Going to sleep with a view and sound of the ocean is very relaxing.

There is a nice restaurant, Aquarius, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had breakfast and dinner; both meals were delicious and the service was great.

There is valet and self parking; both cost the same so go valet. Our only complaint was that parking was expensive. If you valet it takes about 10 min for your car to be retrieved so call ahead.

• Stayed April 2014
Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here on a Spring break trip for two nights. Location was excellent. It is right on the beach and we all fell asleep to the sound of the waves crashing. Our view was excellent, overlooking Cowell's beach. We took surfing lessons right down the beach from the hotel. The room was nice and neat. The kids thought the pool area was great.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for 1 night on the way down to Southern Cal. I would definitely stay here again.

Pros: The hotel is right on the beach with great views from the room. We cracked the sliding door and could hear the waves crashing while we slept. The valet team was super friendly and recommended a variety of different restaurants to try. The hotel is near everything, we could have easily walked to the wharf and to many restaurants nearby.

The only con would be the breakfast we ordered...it was cold. :-/ Other than that, I would definitely recommend the Dream Inn for a weekend getaway.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeachTravels7
Newington, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Great place! Stayed for one Sunday night while passing through the area with my mom and sister. The pool area is divine with bright colorful lounge chairs and umbrellas, (they had nice outdoor couches around little fireplaces at night too) and has private access to the beach. Fantastic location, in walking distance to the wharf and boardwalk, but far enough away that all you hear at night is the ocean. Rooms were very clean, neat and modernly styled. The staff was very accommodating but our room wasn't ready by the listed check-in time. They advertised check in to be at 4pm, but we didn't get our room til about 6:30pm. The staff gave us keys to the pool and beach area so we sat on lounge chairs in the sun for a bit, ventured down to the beach, and took a walk down to go shopping on the boardwalk. We found something to pass the time waiting 2.5 hours for the room to be ready. beds were super comfy, & every room has a darling little balcony looking out over the pool area & beach.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family