“Nice, but pricey!”

Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Bloomington, Indiana
“Nice, but pricey!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Good: GREAT location, on the beach, next to Boardwalk. Great view. Friendly, helpful staff.
Bad: Priced like a 5-star hotel. Small bathrooms. High traffic street.

The restaurant is very good, and nice atmosphere overlooking the beach.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Dream Inn is definitely on the more expensive side relative to other options, so it really depends on what is important to you when booking a hotel. If immediate access to the beach is a must, poolside drinks a plus, and an uninstructed view of the ocean, then this is your pick. It's literally on top of Cowell beach, with just a short stairwell down to the sand. A few other hotels up the road are just across the street from the beach, nearly as close, but not adjacent as the Dream Inn is...and no where near as nice.

Our overall experience at this property was a positive one. Staff were courteous, respectful, friendly, and eager to help. From the valet to the counter to bell help, they all understood the hospitality motto, "Service with a smile." The handle on our patio door was broke, but was fixed within 30 minutes. When our fridge stopped cooling, again they responded within 30 minutes with a new one. And when our room wasn't ready for check-in, they took some perishables from our car and stored them in a fridge while we lounged by the pool. They rose to every challenge and met every expectation.

The pool is relatively small, but well maintained. The deck chairs here don't suffer from what I've seen at too many resorts: stake-and-claim towel dumping, where people call dibs on chairs at dawn and then disappear. We never had a problem finding a couple of chairs to sit out poolside.

There are some signs of wear and tear throughout. Make no mistake - it's not a 5-star resort. But it was nice enough all things considered and we did agree that we would come back. Yes, the carpets showed signs of aging, and the walls and furniture had minor dings, but no more than any other highly trafficked beach property. It's a popular place, and for good reason. And very popular for families with young kids. If you're looking for a romantic getaway, ask for a tower room on a high floor away from the daylight bustle poolside.

Virtually all of the rooms have great views, and the Boardwalk is at your doorstep. Great service and comfortable place to spend a few days. Definitely recommend.

Stayed July 2014
Williams, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel's location is fabulous no denying that. However the area has grown very seedy, full of homeless and drunk homeless under our balcony yelling obscenities all night. The rooms were modern and nice. I don't like the bathroom set up. We had two Queens and four of us. There isn't a separate sink outside, so really inconvenient for everyone to shower and get ready. Our coffee cups and water glasses were used and gross. We requested new ones as these had dried milky liquid and coffee? We also had to pay extra for high speed internet which leaves you feeling fleeced after $400 a night. There isn't a continental breakfast. We tried twice to eat breakfast at the restaurant. The first morning a line awaited the host desk with nobody to greet. Left after 5 minutes. The second the same scenario. This time the waiter there also completely ignored everyone. Get a host, staff the restaurant adequately. The valet, front desk and housekeeping were all top notch and exceptional.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Cristy E
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The location is absolutely great, but especially suitable for families with children. The rooms all face the poolside and there is a lot of noise coming from the pool going on to early in the evening and starting at 7 am. The pool itself and pool area are quite small and the only shade is coming from umbrella's and there are not enough for all damilies. Sunbeds are nice and new, plenty of towels and also the beach is very nice. The rooms are small buut nice and clean.

Parking is expensive:$24 per day and also I found in the morning the corridors flooded with roomservice stuff, which was not collected timely. Not so pleasant view if you walk to the pool.

3 Thank HongKongTraveller3
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

If you are going to Santa Cruz you need to stay here. The pool plus easy beach access is everything. You can walk to the boardwalk too. I was there with my family - wife and 3 kids, plus my brother, sister and Mom & Dad. This is the only hotel in Santa Cruz that is on the beach. My wife and I were paddle-boarding near the pier and saw 4 whales! Do not expect Ritz level service here. You are staying here for the location.

1 Thank RFranscella
Tampa
Reviewed 22 July 2014

It was our first visit to SC and our first stay at a Joie de Vivre hotel. After reading the reviews, I lowered my expectations. We were in town for a wedding on the beach by the hotel and with the reception at the hotel, so we wanted to stay at the hotel. We signed up for their Joie de Vivre club and received a free full bottle of wine at check in. Nice treat. We booked and received a Cloud King room on the 8th floor. I think it was 825. As stated, the views are incredible. Our room was quiet from neighbor noise. The decor was very tasteful and atmospheric. The check in people were very friendly and the room was spotless when we entered. It looks very much like the pictures you see. Someone commented that the closets are not full length. True, but almost. Unless you have a floor length gown, it's nothing to worry about. The fridge worked great. The mattress was comfortable. It was very tastefully and thoughtfully designed and decorated.

We asked for a thin crust pizza recommendation from the front desk and they sent us to Pizza My Heart, which was delicious. I needed a band-aid and they gave me several! We got up early to go surfing in 56 degree weather and had coffee before, but I wanted some more when we got back and I was cold. I asked a nice lady at the front desk for more K-cups, thinking I would just put it on my room charge but she asked how many I needed and gave me several without charge.

Our housekeeper was delightful. The bartender at the reception, Romy, was excellent. Very personable and friendly. The bartender at the bar downstairs was also delightful, keeping the bar open when we heard they were going to close after the reception! She was also very friendly and took great care of us.

The food at the reception was delicious. The pork tenderloin was amazing.
We did not use the pool but on the weekend, it was PACKED. It must be very popular.
It's in a great location, we walked to the wharf and ate at Olitas, which was good, and also had way too much fun at the wine bar at the end, Vino Prima. I highly recommend it! They have $5 mimosas all weekend, great wines, excellent cheeses, great views, and good people.
The event staff did a great job with the wedding.
The valets were always very helpful and friendly. Yes you pay for the valet but I did not see any free parking that did not involve a lot of time or effort. Just factor the price in and take the valet. I think the lot across the street for self parking was the same price, but don't quote me on it.
We walked a lot and there is a lot to do within walking distance.
It was a great stay and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Avoid the pool area if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HVB
Fairfax, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently made a last minute decision to drive to Santa Cruz, the kids really wanted to check out the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. We found the Dream Inn, and expected a pretty upscale experience. Granted, it was a last minute reservation, and the hotel was pretty booked up.
We found the room to be clean and spacious enough for our family of four. The pool area was very crowded, and it felt pretty dirty with food, drinks and mess everywhere.

We ate at the restaurant, Aquarius. When we read the in-room service menu, it listed Chilaquiles as a breakfast option. Also, the kids were excited about the cotton candy dessert option. Both of these were no longer available when we ordered at the restaurant. We were told they had been removed from the menu two years ago. Not sure why the in-room dining menu didn't get updated with the changes.

If location and ease of walking to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is what you are looking for, then this hotel does serve that purpose. At a rate of over $300 per night, I guess I was expecting a bit better of an overall lodging experience.

Room Tip: Don't stay above the pool area if you want to have any quiet time. The rooms up higher in the to...