“Great affordable motel for Santa Cruz”

Ocean Pacific Lodge
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Ocean Pacific Lodge. The room was very clean, pleasant, and spacious. The motel had a great location in Santa Cruz. And the rate was affordable. It was exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kimberlandia

Reviewed 18 December 2011

We are an Australian family travellling USA. We stayed at this hotel in Dec 2010 and returned in Dec 2011. This hotel is clean and comfortable. It is a short walk to the pier and boardwalk. The rooms have been renovated since our last stay in 2010. We are travelling with two young children and we felt safe at this hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. We really do our homework with hotels as we travel alot and I would recommend this one.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Selena39
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My wife and I stayed one night here and felt it was a good value for the money. Hotel was easy enough to find if you know a little about Santa Cruz and there is plenty of off the street parking.
Check in was quick, efficient and helpful. We booked a double queen room, which was small but had everything we needed. Frig, microwave, coffee maker and hair dryer. Beds were comfy although the bedding was stained and a bit old. The room furnishings were well used and tired but everything was clean and neat. The bathroom again was dated and the towels were thin and worn, but clean. We slept well with no complaints. The continental breakfast included make your own waffles, cereals and toast juice and coffee. The hotel is just a couple of blocks and an easy walk from the Municipal Wharf and boardwalk area so no need to drive and hunt for parking. Also, they have a very nice swimming pool and hot tub area to cool off and relax after a long day.
Considering the other options available in Santa Cruz this property is a good value and we would definitely book this hotel again for another short stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank JackCrowley
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Located along the road to the beach this hotel offers value for money. Once has to bargain, being an AAA member or whatsoever but you can get good rates depending on the time of the year as well as the weeken or weekdays..
We stayed in room 302. It is to be recommended to get a room on the 2nd or certainly the 3rd floor and not above the pool. Room was spacious, clean and had the amenities one may expect. WiFi is free as well as the coffee and tea in the room. If there is a "complaint" to make it is the fact the bedroom is on the street side, but hey you can't have it all can you?
We certainly will come back to this place if we are in the neighborhood.

The hotel is famous for its annual festival of "woodies" and years booked in advance. So don't try to get a room in this time frame. Woodies are old cars with wooden side panels.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank globetrotter1311
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Pacific Lodge in the King Junior Suite on the third floor for two nights. The room was clean, there was great water pressure in the shower, the bed and other furniture were quite comfortable and even with early morning soccer games at the park right behind us, we were able to sleep in in the morning and relax at night. Also, the air unit and the mini fridge were very quiet. One of the best additions was the Keurig coffee maker in our room with a few different k-cups to choose from. I have one of these machines at home and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it in the room. The only reason I did not give an "Excellent" review is because the wifi was very weak in our room. That ended up being alright though since we were in town to get away from it all and connect with family and friends. Another complaint was with parking (NOT THE FAULT OF THE LODGE!) The spaces seemed narrow so other patrons had parked in ways that made it seem like we were trying to squeeze in to parking spaces. Other than those two things, we had a great stay. I will recommend this hotel to friends and family in the future and my husband and I will likely stay there again!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I stayed here Saturday, September 24, 2011 in a King suite with jacuzzi tub for the Santa Cruz Triathlon on Sunday, September 25, 2011. The accommodation was great...spacious and quiet on the third floor (made me wonder about earplugs provided on the bed stand), and I was glad I paid for the modest upgrade to this level. I was very happy, and slept very well before my event. There is a pool and hot tub that I didn't use, but looked like a favorite of many happy families staying there. The hotel provides a light continental breakfast, which I also did not use, but seemed popular with the families there.

I would take my accommodation again in a heartbeat, Across the street from the Triathlon staging area, great to soak in the jacuzzi the night before and all the basic amenities in place.

The one glitch was on communication. I had requested a late check out of 1 p.m. so that I could shower before hitting the road back home. I made the reservation and request months in advance based on a recommendation from a colleague in the Santa Cruz City Manager's Office, and asked for a 1 p.m. check out knowing I would finish the Triathlon in less than 4 hours, plenty of time time for a shower before a 1 p.m. check out. I double checked on this arrangement twice and actually got a call back from a receptionist who said that he cleared the 1 p.m. check out with the manager.

So I was surprised when I showed up after the triathlon at 12 noon on Sunday September 25, 2011 with the cleaning staff in my room finishing up the cleaning. They were mono lingual Spanish speaking and very gracious and called to the front desk to clarify. The cleaning woman put me on the phone and I explained the situation, telling the English speaking clerk that my little room card envelope was inscribed with a 1 p.m. check-out, as I requested, and all the history that went along with it. She finally agreed that I could stay til 1 p.m, but not without a bit of push-back, which I felt was not very customer friendly. So I got to clean myself up after the event, made sure I left little impact for the housekeeping staff and gave them a handsome tip.

A bit of a wrinkle on an otherwise good experience, and I hope I don't see an extra charge on my credit card.

Overall excellent experience, but the hotel could be better if it focused more on these type of communication problems. Very preventable

Room Tip: Overlook the minor problems I describe. A good value
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JimGoes
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Good location - walking distance to beach, boardwalk and street of shops/restaurants (can't remember the name). Rooms were spacious and clean. Had a microwave and fridge - but the fridge would sometimes make alot of noise and this did effect our sleep. Didn't have time to go in the pool but the area looked nice. Breakfast was great - big selection of cereals, juice, bread, hot drinks, cakes and even waffle makers. Free parking, ice machines and a laundry room ($2 a wash or dry).

• Stayed: September 2011