“Disappointed With Ocean Pacific Lodge”

Ocean Pacific Lodge
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
California
“Disappointed With Ocean Pacific Lodge”
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Positives: Clean hotel, parking in lot, close to beach (2 blocks), nice pool and hot tubs, Coffee maker in room, mini fridge & microwave, and free continental breakfast.

Negatives: Very pricy ($269.) for July, peeling wallpaper, outdated furnishings, popcorn ceilings, uncomfortables beds and pillows, kicked out of pool area at 9 PM.

This hotel needs serious rennovating if they want to charge what they are charging. Otherwise, I wouldn't give $70. for this place. My family of 4 all had a hard time sleeping on these beds. If you can look past the decor and the uncomfy beds, then I'd say stay here because it is clean and the pool is great.

• Liked — hot tubs and pool
  • Disliked — decor & uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New York, NY
Reviewed 30 June 2008

Great location-- can walk to the beach and to downtown area. Can leave your car in the lot. Standard motel room with mediocre continental breakfast. Probably better than a lot of other motels in SC.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Stockton, California
Reviewed 30 June 2008

Great location. Walking distance to beach, boardwalk, wharf, shopping, dining, etc. Room was very clean, average size, average amenities... mini fridge, microwave, cable, etc. My only complaints: continental breakfast? might as well walk a couple blocks for something decent. If they're gonna call it breakfast, there should be food. Nothing healthy for an option, and the milk was only vitamin d. Also, there was something wild and crazy going on outside our window at like 2 am. Very thin walls/windows apparantly. In my sleepy stupor, it sounded like can-collecting bums, or skateboarders. Value OK i guess, but then again, it was comped by my work.

• Liked — walking distance
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
Escondindo
Reviewed 24 June 2008

Well I stayed there in early june with my girlfriend and the experience was awesome! It was a long drive from the airport and confusing but I felt relieved finally pulling into the parking lot! I came in to check-in around 9 o clock and thought there might be a problem because 9 seemed a little late but the girl at the front desk was more than helpful and very friendly. After i checked in, the two front desk clerks and I actually got into a long hilarious conversation about relationships and I actually stayed because it was so interesting and not that boring "Customer Service" conversation. My girlfriend and I were cracking up! When I got to my room, I was amazed by the cleanliness and didn't expect to feel so at home. The weather was beautiful and warm. The beach was walking distance (about 6 minutes), a little bit crowded but ok. The room was spacious and the TV was nice (I haven't stayed at many hotels to compare TV's but I was pretty impressed). When it came time to sleep, I got under my covers and slept like a baby. I slept so good, I didn't wake up till 11:15. I woke up and kind of got worried because from what I understood, check out was at 11 am. I called the front desk as soon as I noticed the time and he was completely understanding of my situation and did not charge me. I was not able to experience the free breakfast they have in the morning but thats just something I'll have to do when I go back to Santa Cruz this september. Everything was great: Room, Staff, TV haha and Location!

• Liked — Room Comfort
  • Disliked — The beds were so cozy I slept in past the time I planned to wake up haha
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 23 May 2008

This place is very decent. First stayed here on 02/13/08. Went with my primary concert buddy to see Robin Trower at the Catalyst. Price was great (booked directly through Ocean Pacific Lodge for $60 with AAA discount). The room was clean, quite roomy, and had a mini frig, microwave, table and chairs and FREE wireless! Check in was smooth, parking was easy, and we had a blast at the show! Additionally, OPL is only 6/10 of a mile from the Catalyst! You can walk / stumble / crawl back after the show if ya have to!

As a matter of fact we liked this place so much, that we stayed there again on 02/22/08 for the Johnny Winter show. Might do the same for the Ted Nugent show on 06/18/08! Of course the price is more in Santa Cruz during the summer, but it is still fairly reasonable.

Go to Taqueria Vallarta (right across the street from the Catalyst) for some of the best and biggest burritos on the planet!

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Bathroom needed some maintenance and was kinda of small.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank StonesDude
columbus
Reviewed 25 April 2008

This hotel had a computer in the lobby and offered a wireless connection. What a great location, you can walk to the beach, the wharf, downtown, and the boardwalk. The breakfast was modest but fine. The rooms were clean and spacious. There was coffee in the room. One of the best values in Santa Cruz

Stayed April 2008
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed 9 April 2008

This "lodge" appears a bit fancier than it really is in photos due to its large entry portal. It is a basic motel, 3 stories high, with the majority of rooms facing the pool area. I asked for a quiet room and was given a room facing the jacuzzi and a dead plant, which fortunately, was not used much, due to it being only April. The room we stayed in was adequate for a one night stay, with two queen beds, small fridge w/micro on top, coffeemaker and tv. There's no reason you'd want to spend any time in the room, and we didn't, other than to sleep. The pillows were small and lumpy, and the mattress wasn't very firm. The bathroom was clean except that the tub had some major staining, and black mold at a few corners. Water pressure was good at both shower and toilet. The tub faucet dripped audibly all night, even with the door shut, too late for us to ask the office to come and fix it. The front desk person greeted us with absolutely zero friendliness, personality or warmth. I guess business is good enough that they don't care, or the pay just isn't good enough to warrant a smile. When I reported the tub faucet drip in the morning, the clerk duly made a note of it, but gave no apology. Watch out for the parking stalls, they are very tight - door ding city. I was able to get one of the parallel spaces. There seems to be zero insulation in the walls or ceiling - could hear the young children one floor above us jumping off the beds to the floor with loud thuds, and running around, also next door's tv seemed really loud, although they probably didn't have it on that loud, just no insulation. Location wise, it's pretty close to the boardwalk in a so-so part of town. The continental breakfast was heavy on the starches. I would not stay here again. Like I said, we got what we paid for - low price and low quality.

• Liked — low price for basic accomodations for one night
  • Disliked — noise from leaking faucet, poor insulation, unfriendly check-in
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family