“Just me and 4 kids, I know.. crazy!”

Ocean Pacific Lodge
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This motel was so much better than expected! Super clean, friendly staff, excellent breakfast! We will definitely be staying here again. Perfect for traveling with kids. We walked to the beach, wharf, boardwalk and downtown. Bonus, parking is free! Only negatives I have is the in room fridge and the a/c unit were noisy, but I'm a super light sleeper. It didn't bother anyone else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Very close to the beach, within walking distance. Room was large, very clean and recently updated. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good and nicely presented. Great value as many places that were not half as nice were more expensive. I will definately stay here again!

Room Tip: If you get a room by the pool, it can be a bit noisey until they close at 9pm. This did not bother...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzanne M
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed at the Ocean Pacific Lodge for 10 nights whilst working in the area and wanted a base just to sleep and nothing more. The area can be very expensive for accommodation and based on other reviews and the price I plumped for this motel.

On arriving the receptionist was very friendly and warm. Booking in was hassle free, there was always space in the car park regardless of the time of day and I was pleased with my room. Although not a room you would take pics of to wow your friends, it was clean, tidy and the bathroom had a good shower. The bathroom and room was cleaned every day and my bed made. Santa Cruz was having a heat wave whilst I was there at 39c and the room was cool enough with wide opening windows. There was air con as well which I used a couple of times. The other thing which I really like when travelling is an iron and ironing board dedicated to every room which this did have.

The room is representative of the pictures supplied by the hotel on this site. I popped into the breakfast room to grab a pre-packaged danish a couple of times but mainly went to a local coffee house for breakfast. All the facilities did look fine though.

The hotel is a great location for the beach - 5 minutes or less walk to the pier which has some nice cafes and restaurants.

My simple gauge of any hotel is would I stay there again or look for something else. The answer is simply that I would not hesitate to stay at the Ocean Pacific Lodge again. I think for value and accessibility it is a great location and is recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have been here almost one week. Great location, close to wharf, walking distance, and a very short drive to other areas. Very clean and friendly. Continental breakfast was basic, but good. Kept very clean. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 900maureend
Reviewed 30 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
4  Thank Ana L
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stay here every time we visit our daughter at UCSC. We've been doing this for several years and have always had a pleasant stay. The rooms are always clean and housekeeping is prompt. My husband thinks the beds are too firm, but they're okay with me. We like having a fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker (now it's Keurig) in the room. I'm happy with the updated rooms (great decor) and bathrooms (dual showerheads) we've seen since first coming here. We always pick a room on the 2nd floor. We like the quiet location and walking distance to the boardwalk.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank careyes45
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Let me first start off with a little about me so that one can make his/her judgement with that:
I do not travel constantly, but I do take 1-2 small vacations a year and have for about 20 years. That makes quite a few motels and hotels in which I have stayed. Most of those that I stay in are cheaper motels because I like to spend my money on the other stuff I do on trips. That said, I have my own list of pros and cons for who I am. This does not mean that this place is great or bad. It is just my own preferences. So, now here is my review.

My boyfriend and I made reservations for this place after reading many reviews on many different sites. Check-in was easy. We were booked for 4 nights and the staff behind the counter seemed quite informed and it was a pleasant experience to both check-in and check out. My boyfriend and I were upgraded to the newly remodeled king room--room 120. What I had read stated that these were the best rooms, so I was excited. But to be honest, that is where my excitement ended.

Unfortunately, there were a few more cons than pros to the lodge. Here is my list:
Pros: It was right across from the pool and spa entrance and just a couple doors down from the breakfast room, the room was easy to find, there was a "Do Not Disturb" sign present which has not always been the case at some places I have stayed, The bathroom was the second cleanest one I have ever seen during my various stays, there was a great deal of lighting everywhere with not a dark corner to be found, the exhaust fan in the bathroom worked and was only lightly noisy, there was no odor neither negative nor positive, the blinds were clean and easy-to-use, the bathroom was huge and included a built-in vanity, a shower head on both ends of the shower stall (two total)--one of which is a removable kind that is adjustable for height, a large screen TV with one's money's worth of cable, a Keurig coffee maker, a strict no-noise-after-10 pm policy, and the AC worked nicely and quietly, the morning breakfast had quite a selection (waffles, oatmeal, granola, cold cereal, yoplait yogurt, coffee, hot chocolate, orange and apple juice, breads for toasting, muffins, danish, etc) and a big room to eat within, free parking, and walking distance to most everything that we went and seen.

Cons: The parking lot was small and difficult to maneuver when it was full (as was the case on the first day), the door to the room was wide open when we arrived and had to find someone to make sure that they were done cleaning it and the door was consistently difficult to close, the box spring sounded busted as soon as someone set on the bed (but they said they had a new one on order!), pillows and bed was quite firm to the point of being uncomfortable, there was no "softness" to the room (no drapes, no shower curtain, no carpet, etc) making it a bit too modern and stark for my taste, privacy seemed lacking because the wooden blinds didn't seem to shut out all the light and because the walls were paper thin, there was no chain nor security latch (but they had the deadbolt), the headboard was dark and made the living area feel dingy, there was some damage to the paint and to the bathroom door and sill which looked bad for a supposed recently remodeled room, the bathroom floor was very, very slippery--even when I tried to wear shoes or slippers, the sheets smelled as if they hadn't been properly dried, there was no decorations or art on the walls, the toilet is located directly in the line sight of the window and the bathroom door did not always stay shut so that was a little difficult to work, baseboards were filthy, the bathroom had a sickly peach-orange color which reminded me of the insane asylum in movies, the alarm clock wasn't set to the proper time and went off at 7 am waking my boyfriend who doesn't wake until 8, not enough areas to hang but one towel, other people's hair was found in the room and the floor was rarely swept leaving my feet or socks black just getting from the bathroom to the bed, there was no phone book or motel guide found anywhere in the room, and there were liquid stains on the TV set.

Finally, I don't know whether this is a pro or a con for me but the toilet flushed so strongly that one felt as if s/he would be sucked down with it. The pro was that it always flushed, but the con was how loudly it flushed. I could hear every toilet flush in the area I was at in the lodge.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple