“Beautiful.”

Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Castle Cary, United Kingdom
“Beautiful.”
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights on our 3 week trip to California.It was an absolute delight.Friendly staff,a really pretty and comfortable room with everyhting you could want. We went to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing on the beach and of course the views were amazing.Breakfast was an excellent do-it-yourself affair and one morning the weather was good enough for us to eat outside. The gardens are a real feature with tables and chair dotted about the terraced areas overlooking the beach.Free use of the computer and always a smiling 'Hi' as you walked through reception.I can't think of one thing I didn't like about this place and would highly recommend it to anyone staying in Santa Cruz

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 May 2011

If you are visiting Santa Cruz, there is no better place to stay. This little gem of a hotel is wonderful beyond description!

You drive up to this little, quaint hotel and walk through into the office and gaze past the darling little dining area out to the beautiful grounds and the Pacific Ocean. It is breathtaking!

The charm of this hotel is immeasurable. The location is ideal. The rooms are spotless and beautifully decorated. All rooms face the ocean. I would recommend sleeping with the windows open all night, to hear the waves crashing on the shore below.

Every morning a lovely assortment of pastries, fruit, bagels, muffins, cereals, juice and coffee is served in their charming dining area, but it's even better to take your food outside and sit at one of the peaceful tables located on the grounds, and watch the surfers and admire the beautiful scenery. As you walk towards the dining room, the heavenly aroma of homemade scones surrounds you.

Depending on the time of year, there is something wonderful served in the afternoons, either wine and cheese or homemade cookies and lemonade.

This hotel holds many fond memories for my husband and me because we have stayed here many times before with our young daughter, always having my mother and/or my father-in-law stay here too. So when it was time for us to visit Santa Cruz again for my daughter's tour of UC Santa Cruz, I didn't even have to think twice about where to stay...the Sea & Sand Inn. There truly is no better place to stay in Santa Cruz. When you stay here, you are right AT the cliffs above the ocean, just a short walk (about a block) away from the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and amusement park, the Santa Cruz pier with many fabulous restaurants with gorgeous views of the ocean, and a short drive to the charming town of Capitola where there are many little shops and restaurants.

This hotel is the perfect romantic getaway destination, or perfect if you just want a beautiful, peaceful, fun weekend away with friends and family.

Room Tip: The
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank newbeg
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Flew in from San Francisco and stayed here our first night. The staff was friendly although not very good at directions, took us about five minutes to figure out how to get to our room. Our room was on the bottom floor and had a small patio right ouside the door with chairs and a table. The room had a small corner fireplace which really heated up the room. The room was quite spacious as well. Looks like some remodeling has been done recently, the bathtub was a brand new Kohler tub I would like in my own home. The bed was super comfy and I slept like a rock! We left the window open during the night to listen to the waves crashing and in the morning we heard seals in the bay. Breakfast was good and had scones, boiled eggs, pastries, coffee. Overall loved this hotel. Only downside is that there was no beach access.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed 19 February 2011

The Sea and Sand Inn was absolutely an amazing get away. The staff was great and the rooms were perfect! The view from our room was beyond what I would have imagined. I fully recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing / romantic getaway!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
California, but I'm French
Reviewed 4 January 2011

My husband and I spent one night there, on our way back from San Francisco to LA. We decided to pamper ourself with a hotel close to the beach, we couldn't dream better.
We booked the cheapest room (the standard queen) and when we arrived, we were upgrated to a Deluxe King, with a fire place, our own private terrace, a huge flat screen and a tub instead of a shower.
The view on the ocean was amazing, there was a storm that night so we listened to the waves and that was just so perfect.
The staff was super friendly, we were told when we arrived that there was a wine and cheese tasting from 5pm to 7pm. That was nice.
The bed was extremely comfortable, the bedsheets soft, we enjoyed the fireplace a lot!
The breadfast was good.
I will definitely come back and tell my family to go there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank petitemiette
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed 15 December 2010

We were on a trip up the coast, we live near San Diego, and we spend one night in various 4 star hotels along the way. I love the winter season and enjoy new places. We found this quaint lil hotel on the edge of the beach. We love the size and the way it was set up. It was perfect with the best of views and the sounds of the waves was soothing, we slept with the doors open and left the wonderful fire light the night... It was complete with everything needed for a romantic dinner and the spa a relaxing bubbly end to our night in Santa Cruz.
We loved everything about our stay with the exception of the parking.
We have stayed in 5 star hotels from Washington D.C. to Lake Tahoe and this charming place was as good, if not better. We will return soon, next time in the summer to see all that Santa Cruz offers...

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsVasquez
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 22 November 2010

So my new spouse and I just stayed a total of three nights here over the weekend of our wedding. When we checked in on Friday, we were engaged, and when we upgraded our relationship to married, we also upgraded our room to a Deluxe King Spa room. It was beyond perfect - the staff was great, there were snacks throughout the day and wine and cheese at night, the room was well-equipped with a fire place, hot tub, and items for food and drink, and the rooms and the courtyard were so relaxing that we were hesitant to leave the hotel for anything! The breakfast was healthy, and waking to the sounds of crashing surf and barking sea lions was lovely. We will be back again and again and again, and my new wife and I have decided that this is "our place" whenever we want a special getaway.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple