“Mixed Review”
Review of Sea & Sand Inn

Sea & Sand Inn
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 15 April 2009

My daughter (17) and I just got back from Santa Cruz for our annual mother-daughter outing during the Sprint Break where we ended up spending a few nights at the Sea and Sand Inn.
Before our trip, I've checked this hotel out on the Internet and it looked heavenly. OK, the hotel did look a bit "worn" but it was near the beach and it boasted to being walking distance to: beach, restaurants, pier and boardwalk. And this, was good enough for both my daughter and me, so I booked a four night stay. Being the time of the year, I considered myself lucky to have snagged the last room at the Inn. The front desk did inform me that the back part of the hotel was still being renovated, but the construction would only be from Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. Since our stay was going to be from Thursday night to Monday morning, I was going to book it anyway as my daughter and I can keep ourselves busy during the day hours away from the Inn and not be bothered by the construction noise.
When we arrived at the hotel, it was exactly as it looked in their website. The staff was friendly and accommodating and we instantly loved the physical location of the Inn. As boasted on the website, the Inn did have the unobstructed view of the ocean. Our room was up on the second floor with one Queen bed. We knew that we were going to be sharing a close quarters, but we planned to only be in our room to sleep. The room did look out to the ocean and the sound of rushing surf was music to our ears. From the look of it, the bathroom had been recently updated with a roomy shower with a rimless, thick glass door, updated porcelain sink and toilet.
Up to this point, I must say that the Sea and Sand Inn was everything true to what it boasted on their website.
The problem was the thinness of the walls. I've read in other people's comments about this Inn that the walls were thin, but I was under the impression that this problem was addressed during the Inn's recent renovation. The sound of the surf did drown out the minor noise, but the mere sounds of people talking (and not even loudly) was coming through the walls as though they were in the room with us. We really couldn't complain about the noise to the front desk, as the noise was not due to annoying neighbors playing the music too loud, or rambunctious kids jumping on the beds, or even late night partying by rowdy college kids. The level of noise that made our stay very uncomfortable were all due to people conversing or a neighbor who snored during the night.
By the second night, my daughter was so sleep deprived that she slept from 8 am to 2 pm after other guests had left their rooms to pursuit their day time activities. Another problem arose when she was sleeping, I left the room to go for a morning walk. To allow my daughter to get caught up on her sleep, I left a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. But when I came back in the room, my daughter said she was woken up several times by the maid's door knocking wanting to know if she wanted the room cleaned. My daughter said the maid came back repeatedly asking the same question even though she told maid that the room did not need to be cleaned. At this poing, my daughter was crying with frustration from not being able to sleep. Perhaps the "Do Not Disturb" sign should be explained more clearly to the maid as to what this means to the customers.
I would highly recommend this hotel for many good reasons: Great location. Great staff. Great continental breakfast. Great views from the room.
But I cannot recommend this Inn for the basic reason that it would be very difficult to get a good night's sleep. If you are a type of person who can drop off to sleep in a wink of an eye and sleep through the night like a dead person, then this place would suit you very nicely. But if you need time to wind down and require a moderate amount of silence to help you get to sleep, then this is certainly not the place to book your vacation get away.
In the end, we only spent two nights at the Inn and decided to go home as we were so exhausted from lack of sleep.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank Annabelle3

Reviewed 6 April 2009

We just returned from a fantastic trip to Santa Cruz, CA. The weather was perfect and the first day we fished off of the wharf (next time we will bring bigger poles) and had a great seafood lunch while hearing the sea lions talk and watching the surfers tumble on to the shore. We laid on the beach, went whale watching (fantastic) and ate Great seafood at the Dolphin Restaurant which is the last building on the wharf.
Our accomodations at the Sea and Sand Inn were incredible. This trip we decided to spend a few extra dollars and stay in their Studio room. Checkin was a breeze and it was nice to see snacks (popcorn, trail mix, cookies, iced tea, etc.) waiting for the guests. We were directed to go past the standard rooms at the Inn to our private carport. Once inside the suite we could not believe our eyes. It was like walking into the ultimate ocean summer home. Floor to ceiling windows looking out to the ocean, wharf, boardwalk and the waves crashing on the beach. It was so clear that we could see Monterey easily. There was a desk, floor lamps, 2 sofas, flat screen HDTV, kitchen with plates, silverware, toaster, blender, towels, and glasses. The fireplace acts as your thermometer and comes on automatically if the room chills ever so slightly. We felt the above waist wall between the living area and bedroom worked wonderful as a seperator. The bathroom and shower are large and very clean. Attached to the floor to ceiling windows was a patio door that led you out to an oustanding large patio with 2 chaise lounges a patio table with umbrella and 4 chairs, large planter pots with very nice winter foilage and the buds coming from Spring. The best was the elevated full size hot tub on the patio. Romantic and more, there was nothing that could beat the view of the ocean, wharf and the sight and thunderous sounds of waves crashing on the beach from the hot tub. Looking up at the stars and moon made you feel like nothing else was more important than being right there.
The staff was very gracious and informative. We chose to go out for breakfast the first day of our stay. The second day we were going whale watching (highly recommended) and thought it would be sufficent just to have a continental breakfast that was provided for us at the Inn. Usually, you find the package Coscto pastries and tired bagels at most establishments, but the Sea and Sand Inn did it with complete customer service in mind. Fresh baked carrot muffins to die for and the same for the scones. The bagels were fresh that morning with fresh orange juice, cantelope, huge strawberries and all the necessary spreads. It was like being in grandma's kitchen. You could take your breakfast and delicious coffee and walk down the cliff side stairway the Inn has built to a beautiful setting of small tables and white chairs, overlooking the ocean and at times feeling the sea breeze. Our studio was a bit expensive, but we felt it was worth every penny. All of the Inn's standard rooms have a oceanview. Our visions of this trip will stay with us for a Very Long Time and we will return over and again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Just stayed here on a Mother/Daughter "day trip". The weather was perfect, 70-75 degrees and severe clear (as it always is in the Fall). After a day of shopping, (gotta go to AnnieGlass) and lunch, at El Palomar, in downtown, we checked in @ 3pm, and went to our room, #302...the executive suite, at the very end of the property. The suite came with a King Bedroom, with a HUGE bathroom, a flat screen TV, in the room, a fold out double couch, in the living room (with another Flat screen TV)and kitchenette. We had a mini fridge, sink, and a microwave. We called for a rolll away, at no extra charge. The room had a DVD/CD player and a large flat screen TV, as I said...(I brought music and movies from home), but you can rent some from the desk for a small FEE, $3.00 and popcorn is a$1.00...they are OPEN 24/7. We had a beautiful patio, with chairs, lounge, a table, and also a PRIVATE hot tub! Turn that baby on, and enjoy it, at night!!! We had a wonderful view of the ocean & boardwalk.,as ALL the rooms do!! I brought my laptop, and was able to get WIFI...a "how to" is ALL in the in-room, pamphlet. Ice and soda machine near rooms #110-111, for our wine that we bought at TJ's, (in downtown)...and our grapes, cheese and crackers, etc...but if you DO NOT have these items, THEY DO!!! @ 5-7pm OCT-MAR, they have a Happy Hour!!! (Afternoon Refreshments are @ 3-5pm APR-SEPT). A Cont'l bfst is offered on the deck, in the am @7-10am...
(call by 9am if you want it brought to your room). The staff was very kind, and the rooms are great! They were doing some renovations on 5 of the rooms, so we were able to park our extra car at the Inn...
normally you only get one (1) space per room...you can park across the street in the lot or on the street..for a small FEE. No iron boards in room or hair dryers, you have to check them out at the desk, and they will bring them down to you. On site safe. Late Fee of $33.00 for LATE check out, not an option with the studio/suites, though. No beach access from Inn, you have to walk down to the beach, by the pier, but the back area, on the Inn property, is beautiful with plants and grass, and plenty of room to relax, NO POOL. Rooms are all facing the ocean, 302,301, (are the suites) then...114, 112, 110, 109, 108..
etc...TOP and BOTTOM rooms...All in all a great location and a wonderful experience! I would stay here again! Listened to the waves and the seals...if this bothers you, bring ear plugs. The sprinklers did go on in the middle of the night, and had a high pitched sound...
oh well! Walked along the "strand" and watched the surfers...went to the wharf for dinner...seafood salad, and clam chowder!! YUM!!! Stay here, and you will really enjoy the experience!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Av84u
Reviewed 6 November 2008

Selected this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews. HARD for me to believe this hotel is rated #4 of 50 in Santa Cruz. Was in town for work, and this is certainly NOT an appropriate hotel for business travelers. The rooms are so small, the shower stall made me claustrophobic, and the bathroom sink and shower both had hair in them. I didn't like the fact that a parking space was literally RIGHT outside my bathroom window. I wanted to open the window to get some fresh air as the bathroom was musty, but I didn't want people walking/running by to be able to look in and see me. Also, I found the bed uncomfortable. I did like falling asleep to the sound of waves and the view is breathtaking!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
7  Thank Wildcatwoman
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Location< Location, Location. On Hill overlooking sea and pier.
LOvely place to sit and watch the sun go down. At dusk racoons came through the garden. All rooms have sea view.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2008

Had heard that this hotel had been updated so thought that we would give it a try. Stayed here 20 years ago and thought it would be fun to stay again. I'm not sure what updates people were talking about because the hotel looked almost identical to what it looked like back then. Tiny room with a tiny bathroom.
The walls were so thin that I could literally hear the man in the next room clearing his throat. The upstairs neighbors came in at 1:30am and we heard every creak they made.
The view from all rooms is spectacular though. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Other than these two things, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
If you only want to sit outside and look at the view, this hotel is ok. Otherwise I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank jaimerd
Reviewed 23 July 2008

A little slice of heaven sits on the edge of a cliff in Santa Cruz and its called the Sea and Sand Inn. We loved this little inn. Has a beach town feel in that its an older property but very well maintained and the grounds are lovely. Flowers everywhere, small seating areas that all overlook the most spectacular view over the ocean, beach pier and boardwalk. Far enough away that all you really hear are the waves crashing on the shore below, but close enough that its an easy walk down to the beach or boardwalk. The room was nice. Maybe a little dated, but clean and sufficient. The bathroom was tiny and the shower head meant for short people....But oh, sitting outside under the trees looking out over the ocean eating freshly baked cookies and lemonade they serve each afternoon! We honestly sat there trying to figure out if we could change our itinerary so we could stay there another night! We really did NOT want to go! The Continental Breakfast was fresh and tasty with bagels, muffins, scones, toast, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. Santa Cruz just has the greatest vacation vibe and our teenagers can't wait to go back. I definately recommend the Sea and Sand Inn.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family