“Great Little hotel”

and 1 more site!
Sea & Sand Inn
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 6 December 2009

You cant beat the location as far as the view or for walking on West Cliff. The room I had this time was nice and updated. The fireplace was wonderful for the chilly weather we had.

Breakfast is carb central. Not very interesting.

Nice place and I'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 October 2009

Right on the ocean. Very nice and clean rooms, extremely pleasant and helpful staff.... wine and cheese served in the afternoons. Overall, a very pleasant experience. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Khingdheano
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We have just returned from a month long road trip in califronia and would rate the sea ans sand amongst our most successfull finds. We shared a newly refurbished twin queen room with large dressiing room/ bathroom and patio with 'to die for 'views. Home made goodies and fresh fruit in the morning and iced tea/lemonade and cookies in the afternoon were excellent particularly when enjoyed outside. Maids were excellent and very friendly. All the staff couldn't have been more helpful . The location was excellent, close enough to get to the beach, boardwalk and downtown easily on foot but without the associated noise... we loved it and hope to go back sometime!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank LentonFamily
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Spent two nights in their recently and nicely remodeled double queen rooms (# 107). The room was comfortable, very clean and had nice amenities, including flat screen TV and DVD player. All their rooms face the ocean and you can hear the surf and the sealions barking. I loved it. It was a short walk to the beach and boardwalk.

Housekeeping did a great job of not just keeping the rooms clean but the common areas and the outside patio furniture also. The front desk staff were friendly.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank WSISonoma_California
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We stayed one night at the Sea and Sand after some friends recommended it and were very disappointed
This hotel is nothing but a glorified motel. The walls are thin and you can hear everyone who is close by, there is no one to help you with your bags.
The rooms are small unless you are willing to pay $300 plus for an upgrade, the wireless was not working and there were no amenities.
The breakfast was basic continental and the famous - A view from every room - claim is true but it faces an outdoor hallway as in a cheap motel.
Next time I am in Santa Cruz I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Claucat
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Amazing view, pleasant enough clean rooms, great staff!

Just away from town (5-10 min walk) and the boardwalk (5 min walk) so no noise, just the sound of the waves below and the faint sound of sea lions and kids screaming on roller coasters (and i mean faint). Rooms are nothing special but cozy clean and have everything you need.

Honestly, if you want to/have to stay in Santa Cruz I cant recommend this place enough! The view alone should sell it to you but the staff were super friendly and accommodating too (one of our friends left all of his cash in the room and they put it by for 3 days while we travelled to Big Sur and back)!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank lee_gray_uk
Reviewed 15 April 2009

My daughter (17) and I just got back from Santa Cruz for our annual mother-daughter outing during the Sprint Break where we ended up spending a few nights at the Sea and Sand Inn.
Before our trip, I've checked this hotel out on the Internet and it looked heavenly. OK, the hotel did look a bit "worn" but it was near the beach and it boasted to being walking distance to: beach, restaurants, pier and boardwalk. And this, was good enough for both my daughter and me, so I booked a four night stay. Being the time of the year, I considered myself lucky to have snagged the last room at the Inn. The front desk did inform me that the back part of the hotel was still being renovated, but the construction would only be from Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. Since our stay was going to be from Thursday night to Monday morning, I was going to book it anyway as my daughter and I can keep ourselves busy during the day hours away from the Inn and not be bothered by the construction noise.
When we arrived at the hotel, it was exactly as it looked in their website. The staff was friendly and accommodating and we instantly loved the physical location of the Inn. As boasted on the website, the Inn did have the unobstructed view of the ocean. Our room was up on the second floor with one Queen bed. We knew that we were going to be sharing a close quarters, but we planned to only be in our room to sleep. The room did look out to the ocean and the sound of rushing surf was music to our ears. From the look of it, the bathroom had been recently updated with a roomy shower with a rimless, thick glass door, updated porcelain sink and toilet.
Up to this point, I must say that the Sea and Sand Inn was everything true to what it boasted on their website.
The problem was the thinness of the walls. I've read in other people's comments about this Inn that the walls were thin, but I was under the impression that this problem was addressed during the Inn's recent renovation. The sound of the surf did drown out the minor noise, but the mere sounds of people talking (and not even loudly) was coming through the walls as though they were in the room with us. We really couldn't complain about the noise to the front desk, as the noise was not due to annoying neighbors playing the music too loud, or rambunctious kids jumping on the beds, or even late night partying by rowdy college kids. The level of noise that made our stay very uncomfortable were all due to people conversing or a neighbor who snored during the night.
By the second night, my daughter was so sleep deprived that she slept from 8 am to 2 pm after other guests had left their rooms to pursuit their day time activities. Another problem arose when she was sleeping, I left the room to go for a morning walk. To allow my daughter to get caught up on her sleep, I left a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. But when I came back in the room, my daughter said she was woken up several times by the maid's door knocking wanting to know if she wanted the room cleaned. My daughter said the maid came back repeatedly asking the same question even though she told maid that the room did not need to be cleaned. At this poing, my daughter was crying with frustration from not being able to sleep. Perhaps the "Do Not Disturb" sign should be explained more clearly to the maid as to what this means to the customers.
I would highly recommend this hotel for many good reasons: Great location. Great staff. Great continental breakfast. Great views from the room.
But I cannot recommend this Inn for the basic reason that it would be very difficult to get a good night's sleep. If you are a type of person who can drop off to sleep in a wink of an eye and sleep through the night like a dead person, then this place would suit you very nicely. But if you need time to wind down and require a moderate amount of silence to help you get to sleep, then this is certainly not the place to book your vacation get away.
In the end, we only spent two nights at the Inn and decided to go home as we were so exhausted from lack of sleep.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family