“LOVE THIS PLACE”

and 1 more site!
Sea & Sand Inn
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here in May. We can't wait to go back. We stayed in one of the King Spa rooms. It had a very comfy king bed, a 42" flat screen TV, DVD player, activity table with two chairs, mini fridge, microwave, gas fireplace, and a jacuzzi in the room. This hotel is just steps from the beach. We sat out on the patio and sipped our beer and watched the surfers in the water and other people on the beach. It was definitely one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. The breakfast was good, there were evening snacks in the lobby, and the staff was very courteous and helpful. The overall setting was very serene.

(Don't forget to hit up the Mystery Spot while you're in town!)

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sea & Sand Inn

Reviewed 3 October 2010

Every room has an ocean view - this hotel's main selling point. It is fantastic, your room opens out to a little courtyard and the views are excellent. The location for the sea, boardwalk, and town is good. However the rooms are quite basic, and there is no air conditioning. For similar money we have stayed in more luxurious places. I guess you are paying for the view. We liked it- but would probably not return.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Our room was a king on the ground floor with a nice little "patio" in front facing out toward the water. The room itself was large and nicely updated with a flat screen tv and dvd player and a beautiful, spacious bathroom. The downside of our stay was the spongy pillows and somewhat worn linens. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful and were very gracious to welcome us to enjoy the afternoon snacks and morning breakfast. The grounds are beautifully manicured, with great outdoor seating areas on the bluff, overlooking the beach below. It's a small, intimate setting, and a short walk to either the Boardwalk and Wharf in one direction or the West Cliff Lighthouse surfers in the other direction. I would have given this property an additional star with upgraded linens and if there was afternoon sun on the patios and balconies of the rooms instead of afternoon shade. There is great sun, however, on the communal patios which overlook the beach. I'm a little confused about the negative remarks made about the staff, as they were so helpful when we were there. You pay a little more here for what you'd typically get for the same price elsewhere, but then it is Santa Cruz in the summer and there just aren't that many nice places to stay in this town. We've tried many of them over the past 20 years. We had noticed this place on many of our past visits, and we're very happy we finally gave it a try. It will be our place of choice when visiting Santa Cruz in the future!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patcee
Reviewed 1 June 2010

The best thing about the location is that it is a pretty short walk down to the Boardwalk and it has a nice view of the ocean, boardwalk and beach. The Inn itself has no amenities and for almost 300 bucks a night, it did not feel worth the cost. The room we had - King Deluxe was okay, but nothing special and not worth so much money. Worst of all was the lack of any sort of a/c or fan. We could not sleep due to the heat and at 3:00 am, were so uncomfortable that my husband called the front desk to ask about it and see if there was a fan or anything to help. The front desk guy said he was busy so my husband should come get the fan himself. Not sure what he was busy with at 3 in the morning and given the cost, we'd have thought he could bring the fan to us, but anyhow...It was a horribly uncomfortable night. If we had one of the rooms on the top floor, we could have slept with the window open, but were not comfortable doing that at ground level. Anyhow, next door there was a hotel with balconies and a pool and I'm sure it was similarly expensive. Frankly for this kind of money, I'd like a pool and gym. For a lot less, we could have stayed at a simple, clean motel with a pool and probably a slightly longer walk to the action. We will not return - it just wasn't worth the cost, even setting aside the sleepless night. There was a simple continental breakfast and mid-afternoon some juice and cookies. Nice but still not worth $300/night.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bayareacanuck
Reviewed 11 April 2010

The Sea and Sand delivers on its promises: it's a clean, family-friendly hotel in a great location. It's centrally located (just a short walk to the boardwalk) but far enough away to offer up some peace and quiet and a nice view. And the front desk service is helpful and friendly.
The rooms are small (no place to put luggage, hard to maneuver around chairs) and the TV is ancient, but if you just want a place to sleep after a day at the midway, then it's perfect. The bathroom is clean and roomy, and offers a great shower.
Walls are a little thin (can hear TVs and people in the neighbouring rooms) but the bed is comfortable. You can go to sleep hearing the waves and wake to the sounds of chatty seals.
Generous continental breakfast (home-baked muffins, etc.) and free WiFi and parking.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jstar28
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We stayed at the Sea and Sand Inn on our recent trip to Santa Cruz. We LOVED this hotel. It was beautiful, the beds were comfy, the staff was nice, and the view was amazing as the Inn is located on a cliff. The entire hotel is fenced in so it was nice to be able to let our son run and play without any worries of him getting off the property.

When we arrived we were invited to "Happy Hour". Wine, cheese, crackers, and fruit are served. We enjoyed a few minutes of relaxation after our trip! After a glass of wine and a quick snack, my husband and I took our 2 year old son on a walk to the beach. The beach is not accessable from the resort but it is only a short walk. Since the boardwalk wasn't fully open we didn't bother walking there but it is also accesible by foot.

Our room was comfortable. We had a fireplace and two queen beds on the first floor. We were able to sleep with our window open and listen to the ocean all night. It was quiet at night other than the sounds of nature!

Breakfast in the morning is nothing fancy, but it is adaquate. Toast, bagles, muffins, scones, and fresh fruit is served with an array of toppings. There is also coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk (although you may have to ask for it), and juice.

If we are ever find ourselves in Santa Cruz again, we will definitely stay at the Sea and Sand Inn!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mnl10221982
Reviewed 7 March 2010

My family took a trip to Santa Cruz this weekend, and stayed here. We booked a total of 3 rooms, (my mom and aunt in one room, my sister, brother in law, and their two young children in one, and myself and my boyfriend in another). It was a wonderful place to stay. The front desk is really helpful, and eager to help you in anyway, they are very competent.

The motel is located right on the beach, although it does not have direct access to the beach. They have a couple walkways to little patio type areas where you can sit just above the beach.

They offer a continental breakfast in the mornings, which has fresh fruit, toast, coffee and hot cocoa. I only had coffee, so I cant rate the quality of the rest of the food.

Our room was on the small side (room 102, a single queen), but it was up to date and modern. The bed was very comfortable. The other two rooms my family had (101 & 201) were both two queens, and large rooms.

My only complaint is that the walls seem very thin. I could hear the people on both sides of us, and the people above us. However, if you crack your window and listen to the waves, this shouldnt be a problem.

This was a wonderful place to stay, and I'll stay here again on my next trip. I definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple