“Great hotel for family of 5 near the Boardwalk”

Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My family of 5 usually stays at the Embassy Suites or the Hampton Inn & Suites. This is our first experience with the Holiday Inn Express chain. Great alternative to the others. The room was very large and had more walking-around room than almost any place we've stayed. The pull-out sofa bed mattress was sunken in but acceptable for a kid. There was a nice variety for the included breakfast. Cinnamon rolls were a hit, biscuits and gravy were great, pancakes tasted fake according to my son. Heated pool was warm enough for the kids to swim in at night when the temperature outside was about 60F. Just a few minutes drive to the Boardwalk. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Room facing the street are loud (traffic) if you open the window.
1  Thank Rob S

Dear Rob S,

Thank you for making our Holiday Inn Express & Suites your first. We are delighted you chose us! We hope to host your family of 5 at our hotel real soon; we still have 3 more beautiful summer months ahead!
Thank you for staying with us!
Regards

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I have been to this hotel a number of times whenever I visit my family in Santa Cruz.
The facility is clean, modern - the staff is friendly and knowledgeable and there is sufficient parking.
The complementary breakfast is fine (although I mostly bring my own) and the surroundings are pleasant.
There is a Hampton Inn directly across the street, but it is more expensive and not nearly as bright or cheerful.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear LLiv-NewJersey,

Thank you for making our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Santa Cruz your home away from home when you visit your family in town and for taking the time to share your experience with others! We appreciate you being our guest and look forward to hosting you anytime you are in Santa Cruz!!!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed on a Sunday night. The hotel was easy to miss because it blends in to the surrounding properties on the street, but is clean, modern, and not too noisy. Our room was on the ground floor facing the side of the property. The rooms are clean and comfortable and look like they have been recently updated. One thing that concerned us was they had us sign a bunch of documents about not having a party on the premises and how the hotel was not liable for damage to our car if we parked on site. Glad the policy was in place, but made us question the safety of the area (or at least the story behind the policy). The staff were friendly and helpful, but not intrusive. The front desk manager when we arrived was friendly and helpful. I noticed him being particularly patient when another guest was essentially giving him a hard time because a different staffer had given her misinformation about the room. The pool is small as is the fitness center, but both are clean and well-maintained. The complimentary breakfast is solid. Basic continental breakfast items, as well as, omelette, ham, and a pancake machine.

Bottom line: Very happy with our stay.

Room Tip: I think if your room faces the pool, it might be noisy.

Dear marmac_10,

Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback. We hope to see you again in Santa Cruz. If you like to share more information about your experience, please contact me at 831.295.6001. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2012

This Holiday Inn is right on Ocean St as you come into Santa Cruz. Nice looking and very clean inside. A pool in the courtyard and an underground parking garage are nice amenities, as is the continental breakfast every morning right off the lobby area. Since we were here for graduation weekend of course the prices were higher, but so was every other place we compared to. The staff was friendly and provided extra towels and toiletries when we asked. I would certainly stay here again!

Dear Durhamite,

Thank you for staying at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Santa Cruz for graduation weekend! Congratulations class of 2012!
We appreciate you choosing our hotel and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Obviously, this isn't the Ritz -- it IS a Holiday Inn. That being said, this is probably the NICEST Holiday Inn I've ever been to. It's newly renovated and really, really clean and nice. The rooms are large -- big bathroom, flat screen TV, nice comfy king-size beds. I've heard people had problems with parking, but we didn't run into any.

I didn't spend any time at the pool, so I can't speak to that. I would say that this isn't a great location if you are coming to Santa Cruz to walk everywhere -- it's not walking distance from downtown or the beach, and the neighborhood isn't FANTASTIC (although it's not unsafe, it's just classically sketchy Santa Cruz). But I was really happy with my stay there, and I was really impressed with the room and the service.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I had my birthday in June and I decided to celebrate it with my daughter in Santa Cruz at the boardwalk. Being a single mom it is very important that I get as much out of what I spend as possible. I felt that with the services I got for the weekend it was great. To be able to get away from the central valley was equally nice.

I would recommend to all the moms out there this location-

Great service/staff
Near boardwalk
Includes breakfast - real one
Super nice rooms
Had boardwalk tickets

Gave my daughter a gift for my birthday visit which was unexpected.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Momraquel
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Modern & clean. Good size rooms and free internet. Breakfast was adequate but was complimentary. About 10 minutes from the beach.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple