“No alcohol, closed between 11 and 1700.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Youth Hostel Carmelita Cottages
Oslo
“No alcohol, closed between 11 and 1700.”
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

The service and people working here is OK. But you are not allowed to drink alcohol on the hostel, and they CLOSE the hostel between 11 in the morning until 17.00. You are not allowed to go inside your own room!! It's crazy sins you payd for it. The good thing is the location and the price.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I recently stayed at Santa Cruz Youth Hostel Carmelita Cottages. I'd stayed there once before, a couple years ago. It's in a good location, a few blocks from the Beach Boardwalk, but the cottages are severely lacking in quality and customer service. I stayed there for 5 nights the last time I was there - one night in the male dorms and 3 nights in private rooms. The travelers who stay there are pretty nice, cool people. The dorm room wasn't too crowded and cost $29 a night. I've stayed in worse hostels, but I don't really like dorm rooms in general. The first private room I stayed in, for $45 a night, was tiny, ugly and in a bad area of the hostel. It was adjacent to the front desk area and a common area, and the walls were thin, so I could hear everything that was said by guests and staff. The blinds didn't keep out much light in any of the private rooms. The second private room was $68 a night. It was in the cottage area and larger, with 2 beds and a fan. It was pretty quiet. The third room was about the same price, but smaller and there was no fan, so I had to buy one. The neighbors were loud and rude, and I heard the door slam at least 10 times in the early morning. I told the staff about this and they just laughed. The last room I stayed in there was $60, small and had 2 beds. Luckily, I found a guest at the hostel to share the cost of the room with me. This room also had no fan and I had to use my own. This room had no curtains or blinds. None of the rooms had a tv, and the free wifi only worked in certain areas. There is a communal kitchen. A very stupid rule here is that they lock guests out between 11 am and 5 pm every day. I've stayed at many hostels in my time, and this is the only one that had a lockout rule. It's bad enough to lock out dorm room guests, but to lock out guests who are paying full hotel room prices is just terrible. The only thing this hostel has going for it is the location. I'd recommend you pay a little more for a normal hotel with a respectful staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank corey f

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Good place to stay overall. It consists of a group of cottages surrounded by lovely gardens which are well maintained. Good location, short walk to the centre of town. Good quality and clean bathrooms. I was able to park my motorcycle off street. Seemed a little lonely when I was there. Didn't meet anyone else staying there at the time which was different to all other hostels I stayed in whilst in the USA.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2013

With only 12 hours in Santa Cruz, the hostel provided an affordable, great location in quaint, clean cottages for our family. We booked in advance, found the check-in easy and staff well informed. Towels were nice quality as well as provided bedding. GREAT location to walk to the Beach and Boardwalk for kids to experience a unique California experience - riding the Giant Dipper. Would recommend to families who are accustomed to hostel dwelling.

Room Tip: Families room are available but quickly reserved.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Rocked up to this hostel today and was turned away until 5pm when I could check in. I've stayed in HI and YHA across the world and never have I known this rule. But what I really don't understand is why? Surely the staff member that turned me away could have spent 5 minutes checking me in. Paid for sitting at a computer and telling people no? I want your job.

Disappointed that this would even be under the HI membership. It's a shame too because it's a great location. Hopefully new management will take over. Change the rules and understand that after a long bus journey and a 20kg backpack on your back,you might just want to use the washroom and put your bag down in the room that you've already paid for.

• Stayed May 2013
8 Thank Shrempie K
new jersey
Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

Great area. Lots of parking. Very clean rooms- I stayed in 6 male room. Showers and toilets cleaned regularly. Great value. Staff were very kind. Met very cool ppl staying here.

Downsides: curfew at 12am, have to be out from 11a-5p.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2012
Hurricane, Utah
Reviewed 30 October 2012

While job interviewing, remained here for a few unexpected, extended nights. Lovely and comfortable restored vintage estate in a lovely and well-kept neighborhood. Very clean. Staff friendly, welcoming, efficient. The estate park-like grounds are open to the public and Hostelers for day use (building access closed 11am-5pm). Great kitchens and laundry facilities. One revels in the "barking" of the wharf seals, and the lapping of waves upon the beach of the Bay. Beach and wharf a lovely walk down a short slope. Whether walking, biking, or driving, "Life is Good" here....great vicinity from which to explore. Close to public transportation hub. To me, downside is a maximum of 14 days per year, whether consecutive or sporadic visits. I found 99.999% of Hostelers were kind, pleasant, polite.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the front cottage more for it has a living room/dining area combo with cozy furniture.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business