“Not my first choice”

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Jamestown, New York
“Not my first choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I was there on business and a friend booked the hotel for me because it was close to his house. I arrived at night and found myself walking quite a ways trying to find my room. It was on the first floor in the back. The room was small and the bathroom was out of the fifties/sixties. never updated and it had seen better days years ago. I only had to stay there for two days, but I was glad to leave.

Room Tip: I was there on business for a few days and my friend booked me there because it was close to his hou...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

The room was FREEZING. I slept fully dressed with a sweatshirt and a coat on and still it was freezing. I had the thermostat on max but the tiny heater is worthless.

There is no air conditioning, so hot days will be just as bad.

Other than that, cute furniture, ok bed, and good for the cost if you dont expect much.

I gave it a two because on a warm day (not hot) this hotel would be a good deal. Just needs heating and air conditioning.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Snmatteo

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Some pretty derogative reviews led us to anticipate a less-than-happy experience, but we enjoyed our three-night stay. The place is relatively secluded and quiet. Check-in and check-out were quick and pleasant. The TV would not form a picture, and the front office replaced it in fifteen minutes. Room was clean and comfortable and convenient to a forest for dog-walking. Not much of a "breakfast", but not many guests, either. I suppose that is to be expected. My only real complaints are: 1) Is there a "miniature motel toilet" model in the fixtures catalog? Maybe I'm just used to the generous-sized items in out home. 2) We were quite remote from the office, very much on the edge of a forest, the trees in which collect the usual mist/drizzle and drip it on the parking places nearest the room. Water spots that didn't come off with a simple car wash. Otherwise, quite satisfactory, with extra points for isolation from the hubbub that is Santa Cruz.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
San Juan Bautista, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

"Pet friendly" = flea-ridden. Terrible. The worst place I have ever stayed at in over 40 years of traveling.

Signs that making the non-refundable reservation was a huge error were apparent from the moment we turned into the parking lot, which had huge potholes in it. At the front desk there was a huge sign warning guests about their "if you have a party we will call the police" policy suggesting they have had serious noise probems.

The room was hot -- no air conditioning. Opening the windows and doors was the only way to cool the room down -- and at night it heated up and stayed hot. While there was a fridge -- one of the sources of heat -- there was no microwave.

The morning brought the biggest surprise, though. While the rooms appear clean, they have done nothing to deal with the "pet friendly" consequences -- pet hair, dander, and worst of all, FLEAS! I work up in the morning with over 100 flea bites on my legs, ankles, and feet.

By the next day, they were seriously infected and leaking pus and fluid. My doctor had to put me on three forms of antibiotics and was very concerned, since there had been an outbreak of insect-borne West Nile Disease in Santa Cruz.

The Inn refused to take any responsibility for this and it took the threat of legal action backed by a letter from my doctor and a statement from the Santa Cruz health department to get them to refund the charges.

A terrible experience from beginning to end. Avoid this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Robert E
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I really enjoyed my time at Inn at Pasatiempo The bed was outstanding, in fact I added days.
The WiFi was great, fast. The hotel is quiet and under 7 minutes into downtown SC.
Joe the front desk worker, works at the level of a 5 Star hotel Concierge. He knows the ins and outs of the Santa Cruz area.
Go to Red Bar on 200 Locust Street for a drink but eat at Planet Fresh before. Also on Locust Street

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel.. facing the trees.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Fort Mohave, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Pasatiempo Oct 4 thru the morning of Oct 7. I'm not sure what is going on with this place, looks like it could use better management and money to repair and update the rooms. First of all the positive-----1. Beautiful grounds near a golf course. I felt it would be a great place for an outdoor wedding. 2. Away from the Santa Cruz beach crowds and the loud college students........Now for the negative ----1. Rooms very dated and carpet very dirty. The carpet looked like it had not been cleaned for a very long time. 2. Nice pool however it also was dirty. 3. The first room we were given was by all means substandard--windows would not open,blinds broken, carpet dirty and smelled bad. We were given a second room --which management said was an upgraded room however not much better. 4. No Air Conditioning 5. No Bar and Grill as advertised. (not even a change machine for soda) 6. Outdoor deck in need of serious repair......This saddens me because this could be a great place if the owners would put some money into it.....I feel this is a job for Anthony on Hotel Impossible.....The only reason we stayed until Monday morning was because we had a wedding to attend on Saturday and meeting a friend on Sunday.......We will never go back--a real disappointment.....This place needs help.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

This MOTEL was recommended to us by a friend that lives here. I should have known how bad this place is because she is a real nut case. My first mistake was not going to trip advisors before booking as they have never let me down! The website is very misleading as I had no idea that it is really a motel (right on a major highway). I got the impression both from my friend and the website that it is a quant hotel/B&B. This is the furthest thing from either. Like everyone else, the first thing you notice is the heat. Quickly we saw there was no A/C in the room. The second thing is the smell, not roses. Third, the holes in the carpet. Fourth, the smallest sink ever in a motel. Fifth, the laughable 1cup coffee machine. It really goes on and on... Save yourself and don't stay here. Thank god we are just here for one night.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family