“HIdden gem in the mountains of Santa Cruz”
Review of Inn at Pasatiempo

Inn at Pasatiempo
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 28 December 2009

This golf course based facility is a quiet gem in a mountain side community awash in a glut of corporate hotels and motels and small time operators . It is off the 17 just before the highway 1 and 9 split. The website is a nice indication of what you will get, but the place is a bit older than you might imagine. No matter. It is aged by time and the economy, yet the people and interior of the main building is very very nice, especially at Christmas time. The Gem of the place is the dining room and the lobby, awash with wonderful smells and decor. The bar is open and the setting intimate. The rooms are clean and sturdy. I found no problem with my room at all. The golf course is immediately next door and you can drive or walk in , I suppose. The main road into town is a 1/4 mile away, and will take you past banks and gas stations until you finally get to the pier. It has the worlds oldest wooden roller coaster , one hundred years old this year, 2009. And let me tell you something, Huntington Beach is NOT the surf capitol. It is rightfully Santa Cruz, which Surfer magazine again proclaims. That being said, the road out is just as pedestrian . You will need to be careful on Highway 17, as it can be treacherous in and out of the Santa Clara- Santa Cruz area. So watch your speed and those around you at all times.

I agree that this is a hidden gem, and I feel the class of the Cruz. Enjoy your stay, go to Monterey or whereever you like . Just remember, it is Santa Cruz, the surf capitol of the world. I know. I knew it when I was kid growing up in San Jose, and it still is now. Happy Travels and be blessed.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank sfgiantpoet
There are newer reviews for Inn at Pasatiempo

Reviewed 26 July 2009

My wife and I expected a nice getaway. For our honeymoon we wanted a inexpensive place off and away from others.The Inn was just that. We recieved a extremely comfortable room. Location is convenient, quiet and beautifully landscaped. The Inn is located two miles from the Boardwalk. Restaurant onsite was wonderful. Staff were friendly and most helpful. All for a low and affordable price. We definitely shall return.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I live in Santa Cruz County. My parents love to visit this area as often as possible. For our Mother's Day celebration I needed to find a nice, well maintained place for my parents to stay. I drove up to Pasatiempo Inn and met with the very lovely front desk lady. She took me on a tour, showed me a beautiful room and the amazing gardens. The room had expensive bedding like a luxury hotel. I was really impressed. My parents will stay there every time they visit from now on. My mother has issues with her balance-at Pasatiempo Inn there are no stairs-all one level-Perfection! My parents loved their stay and the free breakfast- All for less than $80.00 with tax!! Outstanding! Close to everything!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank QueenElizabeth2
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I had a motorcycle trip planned up the coast, going all the way to Bend Oregon. I booked this place through priceline. Turned out that there was a blizzard in Oregon and the passes were covered with snow and ice, no way I could take the bike up. So I called priceline and the Inn at Pasatiempo, and after a bit of back and forth they changed my stay to two weeks later. I hope the weather will clear up by then.

T

Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2009

We had a wonderful stay. The staff was friendly and most helpful. The most comfortable mattress we had ever slept on. Location is convenient, quiet and beautifully landscaped. We stayed in one of the fireplace suites and loved it. They offer a continental breakfast and the Peachwood Restaurant onsite is wonderful. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2009

We have stayed at the Inn on a number of occasions and have always been very pleased. The location to the Santa Cruz County area is ideal as you can visit the beaches, redwoods, wineries, etc. all within a few minutes.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2008

After several years of visiting the Santa Cruz area, we booked this hotel for a Christmas trip to see our son. We knew the hotel was older and not top of the line. The price was great, especially with our AAA discount.

HOWEVER, the bed was so uncomfortable. The mattress pad cover is like a plastic sheet. So, it is very crinkly, uncomfortable and made us sweat, with the temperature in the 30's at night.

We asked housekeeping to leave an extra top sheet so we could improvise a more comfortable bed. They did not do this. Also, they only leave 2 bath towels (4 wash cloths and 4 hand towels) in the room. I requested an extra bath towel. They left it once and then never again.

The door to the room had a huge gap at the bottom. Not only could you see daylight through the door, but it let in a large amount of cold air. We stuffed anything we could find to block the opening at night. The windows as well are very thin glass and let in a lot of cold air. The room heater does a good job of warming the room and turning on the room fan helps circulate the air from the high ceilings. Be warned summer travelers, their is NO A/C.

And finally, the lack of HOT WATER is terrible. This morning, my husband could not shower as there was no hot water at 9:30 am. Continental breakfast, vary basic and light. As other posters mentioned, the rooms are dated and worn.

In Santa Cruz, the lodgings can be scetchy to say the least. Overall, it was passable, but we most likely would not stay here again. Even though it is just over a mile from our son's house. Convenient, yes. Comfortable, clean and desireable, NO.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Suzg