“We came back...”

Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
El Cajon, California
“We came back...”
Reviewed 21 April 2010

After a looong drive from San Diego to Santa Cruz, we arrived at Pasatiempo Inn at 2:30am draggin' our feet.

Two nice young men were at the desk and gave a great deal on the room rate considering we had no reservations, etc.

I've reviewed this place before and again I like it. Comfortable beds!!! Especially after the marathon drive.

Thank you!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
austin tx
Reviewed 14 April 2010

the hotel itself is great for the price and the staff was great except for vickie the gm i got over charged and called to resolve the problem and she asked i fax her a copy of my bank statement which i find a bit ridiculous and refused to credit my account she then flipped out and continued arguing with me i told her i was going to dispute it with my credit card she then hung up on me so i called back and asked what was wrong with her she continued to argue would not resolve and refused to look in the computer to even see why i was over charged then told me she was done talking to me and hung up again i have stayed at quite a few hotels and i have never experienced anything like this especially since we spent over $500 there that week will never ever go back

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank joe_p_AustinTx

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Tempe
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I found the Inn by accident and am glad I did. I appreciated the large, clean rooms, and the quaint cabin feel of the place. The hotel is easy access from the 17 freeway and just outside of Santa Cruz business to make it easy to get to but with a feeling of remoteness. The rooms are quiet and comfortable. It is nice to have the Peachwood's bar and grill right here. The staff is helpful.

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I called the reservation number given on the website to book a room that night for my girlfriends birthday. No one answered the phone so I left a message requesting to get contacted regarding booking a room and asking questions about the room location. Nearly twenty minutes later I still had not received a call back. I again phoned the reservation number given and was able to get in touch with the front desk person (I assume though her attitude would suggest otherwise).

I mentioned that I had called earlier and requested a call back and still had not received one and at that point I immediately was given "attitude". Amazing!

This woman should NOT be working the phones because she was what convinced me to book with the other hotel that I was considering along with Pasatiempo. I was NOT rude to this woman, I may have sounded irritated at the lack of correspondence via phone from the front desk, but I was NOT rude to her. No cursing, no insults period!

When I attempted to ask questions about the Hotel she was noticeably impatient. I inquired about getting a room on the opposite side of the freeway to eliminate excess noise and she said she would not guarantee any availability? Way to sell your product Pasatiempo!

After talking to her there was no way in H*ll I would have booked a room there that night and risked such rude customer service while "treating" my girlfriend on her birthday! I do not expect to be treated like royalty but I also do not expect to be treated like a nuisance rather than a paying customer. Imagine what it would have been like if I had rented the room and had to deal with this kind of attitude.

By the way, the conversation took place around 10:40 am on Thursday the 28th of January 2010 so management can reference the front desk shift schedule because I was wayyyy too turned off of this place to even ask who she was.......she probably would have given me a false name anyway.

The establishment looks great on the website, but so far my experience with the place is that they have terrible customer service!

To the Pasatiempo: You would have had my business AND my money if it were not for the woman who answered the phone......period!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rastiman
Reviewed 8 January 2010

After reading the mixed reviews on this and other websites I was worried I would not be happy with the Inn at Pasatiempo, but decided to check out the property for myself. I am very glad I did! Our son attends UCSC so we visit quite often and intend to stay at the Inn from now on. The grounds are beautifully maintained and our room was immaculate. The property is older but is beautifully landscaped and kept in very good condition. Our room was spacious and nicely decorated with new carpet and an incredibly comfortable pillow top mattress. The complimentary breakfast buffet included eggs, pastries, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea. The staff was friendly and helpful. We loved it!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kmburly10
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 30 December 2009

I saw the bad reviews beforehand, but already booked via a bidding website, so I had no choice, and hoped that the bad reviews would turn out wrong. That does happen sometimes... Well, not this time. On my arrival, we recieved a room with no tub, so we asked and they changed our room. So I experienced 2 rooms with a weird odor...
It is true that the hotel is kind of old, I didn't mind , I think it is cute. But in my opinion the atmosphere is a bit cheap, you see the wedding decorations left everywhere....
At the evening the water was warm, but not hot enough. And you could hear noises from the other room too loudly. We ended up checking out the next morning, because it was too cold to sightsee and not a nice hotel to hang out in the room... Also there is a gap under the door that let's in cold wind.
The staff was very nice, and helped us to get a refund from the website. It is definitely not a 2.5 star level.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank tamar07
san mateo
Reviewed 28 December 2009

This golf course based facility is a quiet gem in a mountain side community awash in a glut of corporate hotels and motels and small time operators . It is off the 17 just before the highway 1 and 9 split. The website is a nice indication of what you will get, but the place is a bit older than you might imagine. No matter. It is aged by time and the economy, yet the people and interior of the main building is very very nice, especially at Christmas time. The Gem of the place is the dining room and the lobby, awash with wonderful smells and decor. The bar is open and the setting intimate. The rooms are clean and sturdy. I found no problem with my room at all. The golf course is immediately next door and you can drive or walk in , I suppose. The main road into town is a 1/4 mile away, and will take you past banks and gas stations until you finally get to the pier. It has the worlds oldest wooden roller coaster , one hundred years old this year, 2009. And let me tell you something, Huntington Beach is NOT the surf capitol. It is rightfully Santa Cruz, which Surfer magazine again proclaims. That being said, the road out is just as pedestrian . You will need to be careful on Highway 17, as it can be treacherous in and out of the Santa Clara- Santa Cruz area. So watch your speed and those around you at all times.

I agree that this is a hidden gem, and I feel the class of the Cruz. Enjoy your stay, go to Monterey or whereever you like . Just remember, it is Santa Cruz, the surf capitol of the world. I know. I knew it when I was kid growing up in San Jose, and it still is now. Happy Travels and be blessed.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business