“A beautiful, fresh change of pace--with awesome breakfast!”
Review of Pacific Blue Inn

Pacific Blue Inn
Ranked #4 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 November 2009

My sweetie took me here for my birthday last summer. I haven't forgotten Pacific Blue, and have wanted to write a review ever since then....I wish I could live there! The rooms were modern, clean, but also bright and cozy. The amenities were excellent and made everything so comfortable. The staff was incredibly friendly and professional. And the breakfast was to die for!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 November 2009

I read all the glowing reviews about this "B&B." Then I stayed and discovered it's really a hotel. I'm surprised others didn't talk about the neighborhood being sub par. Anyway, here's my take in this place:

Pros:
Great Breakfast made by people who take pride in it.
Comfortable beds and clean rooms.

Cons:
Sketchy location in a neighborhood that has funky people lurking around.
Odd parking lot arrangement behind another building behind the hotel.
This is a motel, not a B&B.
Ground floor room was noisy as people hang out in common area and talk outside your room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TmomSanJose
Reviewed 5 November 2009

My husband and I had no idea where we were going to stay for our honeymoon, and came across this place by accident somehow.. and we just about died of happiness when we did. This was the perfect place to stay in santa cruz! It was awesome for if we wanted to stay in bed all day, and it was also in a perfect location, just blocks away from either the beach or the town. We barely had to use our car. The service is the most memorable we've ever had, we just fell in love with Alex, who made us the yummiest breakfasts EVER every morning! We were so full that we didn't have to eat until dinner time, and we kept getting take out because we loved being in our hotel room so much! The beds are unreal and ridiculously comfortable - it was like sleeping on a cloud, literally. The rooms are super cute and modern, and the bathrooms are awesome. We will come back to this place every year, hands down. It was the perfect honeymoon : )

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We booked our stay a couple days before our trip with our main goal to kayak Saturday and see some live music. Since the location was perfect and reviews looked good we decided to book on-line after calling and asking a few questions, mostly regarding which unit to pick (note: there are 9 units which all face the same direction. the only difference is the distance from the outdoor seating area with gas firepit...very welcoming outdoor area). A few hours after booking on-line for one night I received a call from Alex, letting me know that they were now offering a weekend special. Since we had just booked, he offered a fabulous rate for 2-nights. What great service!

When we awoke Saturday morning we were treated to an AMAZING breakfast! Coffee, orange juice, fresh fruit, pop overs, bacon and a yummy frittata! Alex was prepared to cook us whatever we wanted but we let him go wild with the frittata. All that food allowed us to kayak during the day and just have a few snacks before dinner.

Arriving back late afternoon we were offered a bottle of wine, which the owner brought up to our room. Again, fabulous service. We drank our wine in bed while watching the world series on the flat screen tv. We asked for recommendations for dinner and walked a couple blocks up to Aqua Bleu (good, not fabulous) and saw live music at Catalyst (very young, i would not recommend unless you are under 21).

After another cosy night in the king bed we awoke to another amazing breakfast. This time we had berries, granola and yogurt. Alex was willing to cook whatever we wanted...but we just wanted exactly the same breakfast. YUM!

We loved our experience. I'm not typically a B&B type because I love modern amenties. But this B&B has the perfect balance....modern and comfortable PLUS personal treatment. I felt like we were leaving good friends by the time we checked out on Sunday.

We will definitely try to find excuses to drive down to Santa Cruz to stay here again...

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2009

OK, so for anyone who has stayed at a nice B&B, this place was FAR BELOW average. No coffee or tea, no snacks, no videos, games, or common attractions available. When we first arrived, I was asked by the guy working the desk if I also worked there...uuuhh, no! No one walked us to our room to show us around and we had to seek someone out even to give us a map of the area. I know they advertise the location to be ideal, but it's actually in a rather shady part of town. Breakfast was alright (had to wait until 8:30) but again, no coffee or tea unless you went to the kitchen to ask for it. When we left, no one even asked how our stay was. I believe this is just bad customer service (I used to work in the service industry). Overall, it felt like a converted motel with stuffy rooms that just had a quick makeover. I'm not sure who wrote the other reviews, but I suspect they may be some friends of the owners...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ekrauss
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Perfect location, within walking distance of the Boardwalk/Beach and downtown. Nice new accommodations, wood floors, bed, elevator, secure and quiet location . Rooms were large and well appointed. Nice courtyard area with firepit. On site massage therapy is available by a skilled bodyworker, which is great after a long drive, or in my case if you have a chronic pain problem and want some relief on your vacation. Breakfast was included in room rate, and it was excellent, made in house.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2009

Great location (if you really like Santa Cruz) walking distance from beach, downtown, up town or whatever. Great little eateries close by. Very local. But you won't want to eat breakfast anywhere but at the hotel. Get ready to be surprised. Best B& B breakfast I have ever had. Rivals expensive gourmet cuisine. Don't expect a pool, and all that. This is an intimate, small hotel, which is evidenced by the great staff attention. Rooms are extremely well appointed with an absolutely luxurious bed, linens and pillows (and I usually bring my own!). Flat screen TV, Wi Fi, and and local art on the walls. Couldn't be more charming. The owners are great people and work on site. Nice courtyard patio and fire pit.
If you are looking for a super nice place to stay in SC, this is it. We come to Santa Cruz mainly because of a student attending UCSC. It took us a while to find this place but, now, this is the only place. I don't know why I am writing a review. I feel like it needs to be kept a secret. One more thing, the great pride in being "green" and accessible for the physically challenged is remarkable.
Jim