“Nice Dinner”

Aquarius - Dream Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Aquarius - Dream Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 369 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bay Street
Sonora, California
“Nice Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

The clam chowder was excellent. Best I have had in a long time. Not being a fish eater, I ordered swordfish which was served raw in the middle. Waiter was gracious and took it back to cooked further, but advised me that is how swordfish is usually served. Oh well, it is the first time I ever was served with it raw in the middle. The meals for my 3 companions were very good. Place is expensive and the view is excellent.

Visited July 2014

Bolton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Food, Fantastic View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We ate here after wandering round the Boardwalk area and not finding anywhere where we'd want to eat! Everywhere else was cheap, tacky and touristy.

So we ended up eating where we were staying.

But boy am I glad we did, the Aquarius is classy, high quality dining!

We had a table in the corner window, overlooking the beach and the waves rolling in, and the Boardwalk itself, which as we'd now found is best looked at from Dream Inn/Aquarius and not visited!

We both chose fish dishes, my Ceviche was so fresh and zingy; absolutely fantastic. Her Calamari were tender, not even slightly rubbery, with a lovely crisp batter. The main courses were equally good. We even had a dessert, which is a rarity, and they were also excellent.

Wine was a Russian River Sauvigon Blanc; crisp, dry...perfect!

• Visited September 2013
“The pinnacle of dining experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I would give six stars for Aquarius if I could.

My wife and I have dined at the Aquarius many times over the past 10 years and generally enjoyed it. It's been fairly consistent, although two years ago, the food quality seemed to have suffered a bit.

Fortunately that's changed and I must say that the cuisine and dining experience at Aquarius has reached a new high! The new chef, Craig Mattox has reinvigorated the menu. And the service was most friendly and attentive.

The cocktails were outstanding -- the bar has been rechristened the Jack O'Neil lounge, honoring the local surf shop and wetsuit pioneer, now in his 90s. Surfboards and photos of the crustily bearded and patch-eyed O'Neil add to the ambience.

My wife and I started with the cornmeal-fried oysters. The light batter, with watermelon, radish, carrot and celery root garnish, added the perfect texture, allowing the full fresh flavor of the delectable oysters to stand out. My kale salad was very delicate, with a parmesan vinaigrette and pickled vegetables. For the main course, I had the swordfish and polenta. Swordfish can often be dry, but Aquarius makes it savory and moist. My wife had the perfectly done sea scallops, with herb roasted mushrooms and peas.

The following morning, after an invigorating beach run and dip in the ocean, we had our favorite brunch at Aquarius -- the huevos rancheros. With their crisp tortillas, savory black beans and freshly sliced avocado topping, nobody in Northern California does them better.

The food alone merits five stars, but the incomparable view of the ocean, beach and cliffs calls for a sixth.

• Visited July 2014
“Delicious & Decadent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is connected to a luxurious hotel what is right on the beach. Aquarius has a wonderful atmosphere that exudes class, its calming and soothing which fits right in to the beach side atmosphere. Large picture windows with tables seated next to them allows you to eat and also watch the waves roll in and out across the ocean. The staff was very friendly, attentive , respectful and kind. I found my experience here to be very pleasant and I would definitely recommend this to any of my friends or family for having a nice evening meal. I I had the wild local salmon laid on a bed of greens chickpeas and other vegetables I also had the vanilla bean creme brulee with a ice wine it was absolutely decadent and delicious which was a wonderful finish of my day in a perfect way.

1 Thank Nina D
sævelandsvik
“good food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

ok service and good food.
Only issue was my steak: The order was saignant (also medium/rare). The waiter (matt) confirmed that. When I received my steak I received it WELL DONE. I showed the steak to the waiter and he confirmed my perception.

Everybody else was happy with their food. The steak was not bad, but not nearly the way I like it.

What I didn't like that we god fully charged for the steak - I would assume that a restaurant with style would apologies in one way or the other. Anyhow a cozy place!!