“better than 3 stars, but .....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mission Inn

Mission Inn
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Medford, Oregon
“better than 3 stars, but .....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

We go to Santa Cruz every few months and it is the first time we stay at this Inn.
Our room was quiet and reasonably adequate in space and we did sleep well.
We would have given it more stars, were it not for a remarkably ill-mannered front desk person, who refused to to give any attention to an elderly person who had a sort of emergency to solve, although it would have taken her one minute to do so.
I must add, for honesty, that the other desk personnel the next day were perfectly amiable and kind.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ChefLuigiBo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

We booked a three day stay at the Mission Inn, two days before our trip. We arrived after 3:00 A.M. and the front staff was able to accomadate our late check in without issues. I previously lived in Santa Cruz for several years and had heard good things about this hotel. In the past, family that visited me in S.C used other local hotels and had issues with staff and low quality of services. We looked into other hotels near the boardwalk and were scared when we saw the close to $400 daily rate for a cheap and nasty room. Our room was always super clean and we were able to park right in front of our room. The housekeeping staff was very polite and greeted us every time we passed by. They were very respectful about not making too much noise in the early hours. Overall, noise was not a concern. We used the jacuzzi at night and it was very relaxing. Our room had a fridge and microwave which came in handy. The Safeway grocery store was a block away. There is a donut shop across the street and several places to eat close by. The breakfast was great, especially the coffee was very tasty. We used a rollaway bed for our son. It was a little lumpy, but my son said he slept well. If you are planning to visit the boardwalk area, parking is an issue because the residential area requires permits and meter parking is hard to find. Lots close to the boardwalk cost around $20.00 bucks. We parked in a Public Parking lot a couple of blocks away from the boardwalk, next to a soccer field. Make sure to take plenty of quarters or dollar coins to access the Public Parking lots, since they have machines that often do not take credit cards or dollar bills. Public parking in the downtown area is not bad. We recommend the clam chowder in a bread bowel at The Dolphin spot located in the warf. It was yummy and inexpensive. Overall, we loved it and are going back to the Mission Inn. We will make sure to book ahead of time, to ensure a double bed room.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time to ensure the number of beds you will need.
Morgan Hill, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Really Oh My Gosh... What a diamond in the rough this place is. I booked two rooms over memorial weekend for my daughter's wedding didn't think this place was going to be as nice as it was. Very Clean place helpful staff bed was so comfy! My wife and I are already planning our next Santa Cruz weekend trip. Seriously if you are looking for a nice clean place for a good deal look no further than Mission Inn!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank deadgrassdog
Bay Area, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Room was perfectly clean, well stocked with basic amenities, but the bed was just too soft. Didn't sleep very well as my husband and I kept rolling into the middle of the bed all night and then having to roll back over. Breakfast was basic; pastries, fruit, yogurt, coffee. Overall not a bad place to stay - hope they get new beds soon!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ToughMary
Wilton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

My husband and I were on our way to the 2012 Historic Race & Car Show in Monterey. Coming from Sacramento we decided to spend the night before attending the car show we would spend the night in Santa Cruz and wake up bright and early and drive into Monterey for the show. We loved this place - it was so nice and clean!!!! It was located very near a most beautiful view of the ocean where people were jogging, walking their dogs or just sitting on the many benches located along the walking path enjoying the ocean breeze and view. An excellent spot to take some photos. One block away was a big Safeway shopping center and many little restaurants. This hotel is not far from main street Santa Cruz and the Beach Boardwalk. We will surely stay there again and recommend it highly - AAA approved also !!! J & C

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tahoe03
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

This is a great hotel! Nothing fancy but very clean and friendly. This is our 3rd stay and we always go back. walking distance is restaurants and a grocery store (large Safeway). Quick drive to downtown, the beach or UCSC. Hot tub is small but very clean. Great value for the money.

1 Thank Kristin G
Plumas Lake, Caifornia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

We decided to go to Santa Cruz at the last minute so trying to find a hotel room for the weekend was very limited. I got the last one at Mission Inn and the price was about in the middle of what I found. I was a little scared at first because there wasn't really any pictures online. Our Room was the single king size bed. It was my husband and I and our two kids ( 3 yr old & 2 month old) and I thought it would be a little small for all of us but my surprise it was very spacious. We had plenty of room on both sides of the bed for my toddler one side with his sleeping bag and my newborn on the other. Plenty of room for my toddler to run around without running into our bags or his brother!

It was very clean. It looks like the carpets my have been pretty new. The bathtub/shower was a little small but most average hotels are. It had a microwave and frig, which was great for leftovers! The bed was on the hard side but nobody's bed feels as good as home.

The location seemed to be in an okay area. There was a strip mall right down the street with a Starbucks and Safeway which came in handy. It's about 2 miles from the boardwalk, with little ones we didn't walk. It's on a busy street.

The staff was very nice. The first night we came back from the beach, there was no parking by our room and I asked the office where I can park, they knew we had little ones and told us that we could park in an area that wasn't designated for us which was close to our room. I would say that was a bad part, is the parking. I really didn't want to park around the other building and I am we didn't have to.

The morning breakfast is your basic breakfast, coffee, juice, cereal, mini muffins, bagels and fruit. Plenty enough to eat. The coffee was really hot and strong, really good. The ladies that kept the food filled were very nice.

When we came back after our room was cleaned, I could tell they did an excellent job. You can tell they vacuumed, and cleaned the whole bedroom/bathroom. What I thought was the sweetest thing, they made my son's bed. They fixed his pillows, sleeping bag and blanket that he had on the floor!

Overall, I was very pleased with Mission Inn, and I would recommend it for someone that wants a clean cheap place to stay.

2 Thank Erin8576