“They should be rated 100%”
Review of Mission Inn

Mission Inn
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My entire family and friends stayed here last weekend for a wedding. Through the entire process of booking, questions and our stay, the staff was so accomodating and helpful. The entire staff.

The individual rooms were great. The bed was so comfy. Convenient to have the microwave & ref in the room. The breakfast room was a good meeting spot for all of us to meet and the breakfast had a variety of items. Something for everyone.

We were going back and forth to the UC campus, and you couldn't get any closer. Many good restaurants within walking distance.

This hotel and the staff, accomdating all of our needs and desires. A+ in my opinion!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank patti c
There are newer reviews for Mission Inn

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here right around the same time that another TripAdvisor reviewer discovered bed-bugs. I'm glad I didn't read that review first because we had a wonderful (and bug-free) experience. I guess this goes to show you that bed bugs can arrive from anywhere and can be found in what are otherwise the cleanest properties. We had no trouble here at all.

After blowing a lot of dough at snazzy hotels in L.A. and Santa Barbara, we were delighted when the woman at the Santa Cruz tourist office recommended this place that cost us $85/night with breakfast and parking included. We had already surveyed the honky-tonk beachfront/boardwalk area and told her that we preferred a place that was quieter but not completely remote. We thought that this suggestion was a home run.

After negotiating hotel parking garages for several days, it was a pleasure to pull our car right up in front of our ground-floor room. It was definitely a 50s/60s-throwback sort of place, but that was perfect for our needs. The room wasn't exactly what I'd call "stylish" but the furnishings were pleasant and in good repair. The room was very clean and spacious, not dowdy or depressing. We had plenty of room for our luggage and other gear, and the separate sink area with a huge vanity was a nice change from the cute inns or trendy boutique hotels that can sacrifice function for style.

Unlike the bed-bug folks, we had the breakfast area all to ourselves. It was your basic motel breakfast ... i.e., unmemorable, but it's hard to screw up yogurt. And we also had the hot tub all to ourselves and used it liberally.

I would definitely stay here again if I return to Santa Cruz and am grateful to the helpful woman in the tourist office who recommended the Mission Inn.

1  Thank PabloP
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed lots of places this trip, mission inn was the cheapest, cleanest, had best wifi, and best breakfast and friendly staff? Certainly a bargain. We have paid a lot more for much less. Only downside, bed could have been better.

1  Thank Shawna E
Reviewed 31 July 2013

On the surface, it seemed nice and comfy for our family of five. The woman checking us in was super friendly and helpful. The hot tub location was a little strange but otherwise a decent night in an ok hotel.

Come morning, we noticed blood spots all over the sheets and our pajamas and when we pulled back the sheets, sure enough--bed bugs. My kids were bitten all over. We immediately notified the staff, who promptly reimbursed us for our night's stay (to their credit, they did seemed surprised, as if it hadn't been reported before?). I did however feel like I had to throw away all the stuff we brought in with us, which included pillows we brought from home and many other things, which I've since had to replace.

THEN, I don't know what we were thinking other than our kids were starving and grumpy after our horrible start to the morning, but we decided to head to the continental breakfast, included with the price of our room. There was a line for the breakfast room to open. We waited and waited with a dozen other people and nobody ever showed up. We had to leave and eat breakfast somewhere else.

All in all, the night we spent in this hotel, even with the reimbursement, cost us three times as much as it should have. Not a good experience.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Alaskans2013
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I had been looking for a decent hotel/motel room in Santa Cruz for a Friday night, and almost every single place was >$200 until I stumbled across Mission Inn, so I jumped on it and booked it. I was relieved to see the reviews here, and it's all true. Check in was quick, staff was friendly. Our room was toward the back, and it was quiet, clean, comfy beds. Location is off a busy street, but has a grocery store and other convenient things across the street and nearby. It's also a short drive from the boardwalk and beach, and not too far from the downtown area either. A safe place for two young women to stay without feeling scared to come back at night. I would definitely stay again!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

OMG! we were amazed at the friendly staff, very good price, clean, quite, continental breakfast and breakfast room were also very nice, we are looking forward to our next stay here. we have been going to Santa Cruz often this summer and the Mission Inn is the best Motel we have stayed at all summer! Hot tub was a bonus after a long day sightseeing and the beach.

Room Tip: we had room 118, very quiet and close to breakfast room.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We were making somewhat last minute reservations in Santa Cruz for the weekend after the 4th of July so our options were limited. We chose Mission Inn based on the reviews, and we are so glad we did! When we arrived we immediately noticed the cute area set up outside of the office, and the nice lounge area inside the office. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and told us we had gotten the "secret room" which was a super bonus - we got the only room with 2 kings (it's room 130 if anyone is interested!) That was perfect for my husband, our two boys (ages 10 and 13) and me. The room was very spacious, comfortable, clean and newly renovated. I loved that there was both a fridge and a microwave, plus a small table which allowed us to get some great food down the street at the New Leaf grocery store and eat in our room - after a week of restaurant food it was nice to have "real" food and just relax. Another bonus was that they had free WiFi. The hotel is right on Rt 1 which makes it both convenient and a bit noisy but it was actually fine for us. You can try to get a room in the back which I'm sure is quieter. Although the hotel doesn't have a pool, they did have a nice hot tub. And the breakfast, while not the healthiest, had a nice selection so we all found something. Lastly, to give you an idea of the kind of people that run Mission Inn, our 10 year old found $10 in the parking lot. My husband and he brought it down to the office and asked that if no one claimed it, if he could have it when we checked out. Well, in the chaos of checking out we forgot to see if anyone had claimed it. My son was crushed. Then, a few days after we returned home, my son received a letter from the Inn with the $10! They certainly didn't need to do that but they made a 10 year old very happy and definitely impressed his parents :)

Room Tip: Ask for room 130 - a room with 2 king beds and lots of space
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family