“Seriously - a $20 cash deposit? who does that?”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Big 6 Motel

Big 6 Motel
Big 6 Motel
Ranked #51 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Tracy, California, United States
“Seriously - a $20 cash deposit? who does that?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

reserved a room last month. My wife and I arrived at the hotel and checked in - filled out all the paperwork, and then the lady tells us we need to pay a $20 cash deposit.. WHY? I said put it on the card, she said no. I told her I had no money, which is why I used a Credit card. the lady said she would not give us the keys with out it - go to the bank, get cash. I asked for the manager, and she said he was in India. Needless to say, I told them We wouldn't stay and filled a complaint with the Credit Card.

Room Tip: HORRIBLE customer Service - Seriously - pay the a little more for better service
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joshua F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My friend and I were meeting our friends in Santa Cruz for the weekend and found a cheap room on the internet. At check in their card reader conveniently didn't work, so we started out having to pay cash. She gave us the rate, made change and then said "oh and a $20 smoking deposit." Reading earlier reviews, it's apparent that, sometimes they charge $10 for parking, sometimes there is a $20 deposit for a room key, etc.

We spent some time at the boardwalk, and our friends contacted us to tell us that they would meet us at the hotel to go grab dinner. We walked to dinner, came back and 5 minutes later, before heading out again we were approached by the Indian owner who began yelling in broken English that he was "calling the cops." He stood in the parking lot for 10 minutes while he ran our friends off of the property. My friend decided to stay in for the night, and not wanting my weekend to be ruined by the property owner, I decided to leave and stay with the friends we were meeting. When they returned to pick me up, he ran back outside again and forced us to give him the room key. My friend had to stay the night with no way to get back in the room without leaving the door open.

My friend told me at check-out that the smoking deposit was kept, regardless of us not smoking in the room.

Terribly rude people who are apparently extremely money hungry. Please do not stay here if you plan on doing anything in Santa Cruz besides pay $70 to sleep in a dirty motel room 2 blocks away from the boardwalk.

Some other notes for me to include are that there was a disgusting grey stain on the side of the bathtub, unidentified stains on the walls of the bathroom, no in-room phone despite advertising for it. Wifi is unaccessible from the room, but available in all public areas (which I assume to be the pool and 5'x2' office.)

Please be warned and learn from all of our mistakes. There are a certain amount of things to expect from a fairly cheap rate, but our experience was extremely uncalled for.

Room Tip: Please do not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DanUSCG

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Anaheim, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

This was a terrible motel and I will never stay here again. I suggest anyone who is looking into this motel to stay away from it as well. The only good thing about it is that it is within walking distance of the boardwalk.

I used to live this same neighborhood of the beach flats, about 2-3 blocks away, while I was a student at UCSC, so I know it is not the greatest of neighborhoods and that there are some sketchy people that you watch out for. So I know that for the staff (or owners, I couldn't tell which they were), they have to be on guard sometimes. However, despite the fact that myself and my group of friends who were staying here were friendly, obviously not doing anything bad, etc. the staff were extremely rude to us. Not only us, but other groups of people staying in the motel. In the morning as people were backing up their belongings into their cars, an old lady who I presume was one of the owners, stood in the middle of the parking lot, staring at all the groups of people who were going in and out of their motel rooms. It was extremely uncomfortable feeling like we were being watched the entire time. Then when we left, she started yelling at our group saying we had too many people and she was going to charge us and additional $100 per room. Mind you, the only "extra" people we had were friends of mine who still live in Santa Cruz who were meeting up with us at the motel so we could grab breakfast together. When we tried to explain that they had not stayed the night with us, she continued to yell at us that she was charging us extra and to leave because she was calling the police. We told her that if she is going to charge us extra that she then needs to give us a receipt, but she told us no and that she was calling the police. I was extremely disappointed at how rude the staff was to us, that we were charged extra unnecessarily, that we received no receipt and that she was threatening to call the cops on us without even letting us try to explain the situation.

Aside from the terrible customer service experience, the motel its self was also very dirty. In one of our rooms, we found a pair of dirty undergarments left in the corner behind the tv stand.

Given the experience that I had with my group of friends, I would greatly recommend not staying here at this motel. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had traveling and staying in a motel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank M N
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

There were meth addicts in and out at all hrs of the night service was terrible they were rude rooms were dirty.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank blackinstein
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

The room did not have working lights and when I checked in I went to the room and left to find a new hotel to stay at. It was just so filthy and th people were so rude!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derek K
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here for two nights. It was July 4th so our options were limited with our budget. The place is not very clean and the decor is really dated. TV is VERY old. Way worse than any motel 6 I've stayed in. Location was great and within walking distance of the boardwalk. Staff were not friendly at all and didn't seem to understand any English. Except when they ask for the 20 dollar deposit which I had to remind them of at check out!!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank cutieperth
Fremont, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Walkable distance to board walk. Ac really loud and not sure it blew air. Can hear people screaming from boardwalk. Below average quality for motel. Ok for 1 night, if you don't have other options.

• Stayed July 2011