“NOT Happenin' !!”

Ranked #51 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz area CA
“NOT Happenin' !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I only viewed the ~property~ - it is in DEFINITE need of a replacement facility being built in it location! YES< pool was closed - such as it was - VERY Dicey area - locals actually a block away warning us that druggies inhabit the ~premises~ yet the owners seemed HELL BENT on keeping everyone out that might indulge in "shady doings" but they seem to primarily scare away unknowing decent travelers?!? I am GLAD I saw the place so as to guide my friends to nearby accomodations - I did NOT have much luck in the area as it was hard to park and get in in the first place which should have been a WARNING. Not clean either, OLD facilities, and there are other places close to the Boardwalk area or a mile or so away that are NICE - SO WHY BOTHER with a Disgusting place????

Room Tip: DON'T GO IN THE FIRST PLACE! You've just made a good choice!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank chechina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Now I'm that type of person who will give a place or business the benefit of the doubt when I read reviews but man!
Two things makes this place reasonable. The owners daughter being sweet and the location, only being less than a mile away from the boardwalk is good for me. But man! The moment I got there is all went downhill. Firstly the fact we couldn't keep both cars was a little Redicoulus. Maybe not on site but at another location that we could store would have been nice. Not all people who get two queen beds has ONE car. Please take that into consideration when booking. I advise looking at google map or whatever before. Though we did stay during a holiday (fourth of July) it shouldn't have been a big problem for many things. Firstly the place is definitely not welcoming at all. The owners staring at you and then both husband and wife yelling at each other in another language in front of you. Totally rude. And who asked for the names of the ppl staying in the room!? That's a little too personal for my liking. Then came the secret deposit... Now that just threw it all off. Yeah I had an issue with my credit card but then they asked for a $20 deposit!? No I understand the whole no smoking, no pets policy but a deposit for no visitors either? Ohhhhkay big six motel. You go ahead and tell my family they can not see me or come get me at my room. Let's see how that will turn out. Then after all that gibberish, they finally gave me the key. Only one key too. No spares no nothing just the master key. As I walked into the room I smelt a funny smell and realized it was mold. Yes there was mold behind the door in the bathroom. Why? Because the bathroom had no fan. Or it was broken. The plus side to the room they have a big mini fridge that could keep all our beverages cold. And the beds werent that bad. But as night came and all 4 of us needed to charge our phones there was not outlet to plug into. We had to unplug the tv and microwave to us those two then the others were in the bathroom. Sad... So the next morning was fine until my friend who was sleeping in got scared awake when the maid came in to clean up. We had no sign that said do not disturb so it was bound to happen. Which was fine if we were not there but my friend was. When we came back though there were no more towels and my bfs tshirt was not to be found to this day. No too happy bout that. As night came we miraculously ran out of toilet paper. How do you run out of t.p in two days with 4 people!? You don't. No even on the dollar store rolls! So that just made me disgusted after I found that out... As check out came the lady came into our room to see if it was good enough for our $20 back and apparently it was. Mind you none of us smoke or have pets to bring. So who knows.
Overall, the hotel was just a place to sleep at for our adventures on fourth of july and not any place I'd get again or stay at while taking a nice trip with my bf. I could have gotten better for the price I paid. I feel sorry for the daughter who has to deal with the managers. Stay pure my sweetie. Walk by faith and not by sight.

Room Tip: Read your reviews. Check all around. Google map.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank Ilyssamarie

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Plymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights recently. It's a short walk from the Boarwalk and Pacific Avenue which makes it a good base. I wasn't looking to spend a lot if time in my room so didn't care that it wasn't exactly pristine. The pool is still closed so having read previous reviews is say that it's just not being maintained.
It's a cheap motel, you get what you pay for. I had no complaints, I had a great time in Santa Cruz and this was the cheapest way to do it.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank EdWinchester
Oakley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Its not that the Hotel its self was bad it was the owners, they were like Prison Wardens. I have more freedom at my house then I do at this hotel. Me and my best friend wanted to get out of town for the weekend something low key, walk the board walk, mingle with the Locals but the owner was on our EVERY move. She would walk past the room and stare in the window, have her husband follow us while we were walking to the board walk. I guess its a 10$ fee for visitors and 20$ if they want to stay the night and we had a local friend get dropped off, he didn't even step foot in the room at all, and the own sent her daughter up harassing us saying "He needs to leave immediately hes not allowed in the room." Our friend was waiting for us out side of our room and the owners daughter had to have came up and told him he needed to leave 10-15 times. We gave in and paid the 10$ EVEN THO he did NOT enter the room. When we first arrived they had our refrigerator turned off which was a huge inconvenience and the microwave would only work if you picked it up and plugged it into the bathroom. The bedding had cigarette burn holes in it and the pool was out of service because it was as the owner said "Infected with something" . I WOULD NOT recommend this place or the other blue one next door as its owned by her husband!!

Room Tip: One on the bottom unless you mind walking up several flights of stairs to get to the second floor,
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank 744ashleyj
Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

The only redeeming quality is the managers daughter. My advice to her is to go back to school. before you wake up one day and you see your mothers face in the mirror. You are too nice to sacrifice your life for mean people.The woman who runs this place is horrible! She yells and treats her guests as if they are criminals! I spent 2 hours sanitizing and cleaning before we could even relax after arriving. we viewed 4 other rooms all were even worse than this one.They are the ones who stole 20$ from us! she was looking for an excuse to keep our 2o$ deposit and when she had no real reason she went into the room and came out saying it smelled and made a huge scene! It did stink even more so when we arrived. If we hadn't paid online we would have turned around right away and left as soon as we saw and smelled the condition of the rooms. Very poor conditions disgusting management and a screaming old woman to scold you as if you have done something to her. The location is not so great. There are so many beautiful places in Santa Cruz . We only stayed here because we were in between homes and didn't want to spend $ on a place would only be at when we were not working. Nothing nice about this place. if you plan on staying here consider driving to watsonville to days inn same price huge rooms and friendly staff. big six should be condemned.who gives paying guests 1/2 a roll of 1ply for 3 nights? two threadbare towels blood stains on the walls????? food under the bed and tables sand everywhere and at least 5 different colors of random hair in the drain. Gross. If that weren't enough the crazy old bag that runs the office is a thief and will keep your deposit even if you have done nothing wrong. and display the accusation in front of the entire hotel guests and all.,.... horrible!!!!!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else... really!!!!!read other reviews they are all pretty much the same. I wish we ha...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank jewlias
fort mohave Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

My family and I stayed four nights here. Our room was very clean, , and the beds where quite comfortable. I suggest though that you bring your own pillows. We checked in very late and woke up the manager/owner, she has a strong accent and a little hard to understand, however; she was efficient and polite. What makes this motel so nice is you are walking distance to the beach and wharf. Definitely not an upscale resort, but not such as dive that your afraid to sit on the furniture. Plus free Wi-Fi was a plus with decent prices.

Room Tip: The one story building I prefer personally, no-one above you.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank MaryJane71
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

got a room here through http://booking.com and was prepared for the worst, but things went pretty smoothly. i was prepared for cantankerous owners and was greeted by their daughter, a little cutie who was friendly as heck.

big six has definitely seen better days, but the owners keep the place clean, the price is decent and you're a block from the boardwalk, but also right next to downtown, which is why i wanted to stay here. Big 6 is very centrally located and if you don't have a car, you can easily walk to the beach or downtown in a matter of minutes.

i like the location and the place is cute, but the room had a heavily sanitized smell that slowly faded to vaguely-vomit, doubt i will be back. oh, and someone overdosed on pills while i was there. serious!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo