“Lovely weekend in Santa Cruz”
Review of The Darling House

The Darling House
Ranked #9 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I just spent a lovely weekend in Santa Cruz at The Darling House for the second time. The location is unbelievable, right across the street from West Cliff Drive. I had the pleasure of falling asleep to the faint sound of sea lions in the distance. The owners/hosts are very friendly and accommodating. This B & B has a lot of antique charm. I stayed upstairs in the China Room with a very unique and comfortable bed with a new Temperpedic mattress. I ate the breakfast during my first stay which I have fond memories of and the incredible smells that filled the house in the morning brought back great memories. I did not eat the meals this time due to visiting friends, choosing instead to dine with them. My room was equipped with bathrobes, a sink and two big windows. I was fine with the shared bathroom which was clean. This arrangement may not be for everyone, but given the age and charm of the house, it worked for me. Just be aware if you have any physical limitations, it is an old claw foot tub that requires some stepping up into.
Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Darling for another wonderful weekend. I will be back!

Room Tip: Be aware, the shared bath downstairs does not have a shower but the one upstairs does.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 January 2014

This property is beautiful and historic with original decor and little details that speak to the era in which it is built. It has one of the best views from the front porch, you can see the entire boardwalk and on a sunny day, it's quite breath taking. If you don't mind a property that hasn't been updated and are into history this is the place for you.

If you want a shower or a modern bathroom, I would go elsewhere or be careful which room you pick. The drawback is that many of the bathrooms have not been updated. We had a bathroom where you had to walk out in the hallway to enter. This isn't uncommon in bed and breakfasts and we knew that before we booked it, but there was no shower and our only shower option was to use a silver pitcher and pour the water over our head. This wasn't very clear from the website and it would have been nice to know.

I also thought the breakfast could have been better. It's a glorified continental breakfast with yogurt and hard boiled eggs. For $250 a night, I would expect a little more of a composed breakfast dish. Though the scones were quite yummy.

The innkeepers are very charming and accommodating and based on that, it was a good experience. The daughter who manages the property took the time to talk with us and make us feel welcome. If you aren't hung up on a modern property and prefer a continental breakfast, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: I would choose a room with an in room bathroom and make sure it has a shower unless you prefer baths...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brattitoo
DWCD, Manager at The Darling House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for your review & we are glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Were you embraced in the colors of the rainbow as they filled the room with the rising sun? The Rainbow room does happen to be a favorite for many returning visitors.
We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Darling House is a beautiful home with wonderful history. We stayed in the aptly named Rainbow Room. It was romantic, charming, and quaint. We slept to the lullaby of the sea, and awoke to the glorious prism display of the sunrise. The adjacent bath was perfect with a LARGE bathtub. No shower, but it was fun to soak with so much room.

The hosts were warm and welcoming, willing to share the history of the beautiful home. After breakfast, they has all the rooms open. Since we were the only guests, they allowed us to tour each room. They were all beautiful, with their own advantages. Choose the quiet Chinese Room, the lovely Pacific Ocean Room, or the sparkling Rainbow Room. Each room was welcoming.

Easy walking distance to the pier and the boardwalk. Great views from the open front porch.

Two warnings...
1. It's easy to pass by if you're driving in the dark. It is a quaint home, not ostentatious or attention seeking. Keep your eyes open and you will find it easily enough.
2. Don't bring a lot of things to plug in. Being an older home, there are not many available power outlets. Isn't that what vacation is all about...leaving the business behind? Bring your cell phones. It's all you need.

Room Tip: Every room was beautiful. The website photos are true reflections of each room. There is no tricky p...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

It was delightful to have you with us, and we're glad you were able to indulge in the luxury of that huge porcelain tub. Thank you for the 2 additional hints. Hopefully it will help others who come for a relaxing retreat on the edge of the Pacific.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Looking for a beach town south of San Francisco and found this on Tripadvisor. What a find! Faces the bay and surfers, high over the water and right in town. What made this special was the home itself and the couple that runs it, the Darlings! Build around 1910, it survived a big earthquake in the 1980's, even its incredible windows. Light comes in through the prisms in leaded glass windows all around the front of the house, facing east, so that rooms on the front are a study in rainbows. One guest room is even called the Rainbow Room, which is sheer magic in the morning. Large picture windows face the ocean. House was build as a second home (with 10 bedrooms!) so that the layout is unusually open.

Breakfasts were extraordinary each day. The Darlings (retired minister and nurse) so helpful and kind, with their own personal stories about interesting lives.

Room Tip: Get the Rainbow room or any of the others facing the front (East) to see the rainbow mornings!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DWCD, Manager at The Darling House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

It was a pleasure to have you visit with us on the edge of the Pacific. Thank you for your kind words & recommendation to other travelers. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

What a beautiful place...pricey but nicey...we were greeted by Mr and Mrs Darling and Denise Darling and were shown to our comfortable room. If you like architecture, beautiful vistas, quaint service and yummy breakfasts then this the place for you! It was so nice to be woken up by the sealions under the pier...barking away! Never had an alarm call like it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KateDerbyshire

We appreciate your review & are glad to have provided a relaxing stay during your time on the edge of the Pacific. The sea lions are a favorite alternative to the morning alarm clock. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We loved it there. Spent 2 nights while visiting our daughter. Our hosts were such wonderful people. Served a very nice breakfast and late afternoon tea. Rooms are themed. Lots of proud history in this old mansion built in 1911! But the best part was the hospitality of our hosts and their history and wisdom! We got to hear a poem every morning at breakfast and lots of good conversations! The only minor inconvenience was that we shared a bathroom with another room.

Room Tip: Don't be put off by not having a private bathroom. Also, engage your hosts, they are lovely peo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I just stayed at The Darling House, and felt compelled to write about my experience. Upon arrival I was greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Darling who are very warm and kind couple, and was shown to my magnificent room with a panoramic view of the ocean. That evening I had a lovely dinner in walking distance from The Darling House, and then returned before sundown to enjoy the spectacular view from my room.

The room was very clean, and I enjoyed my bath in the claw foot tub more than I had expected. I'm a shower person, but I had forgotten just how relaxing a bath makes you feel. Then off to bed, where I pleased to discover that my bed was very comfortable, and I enjoyed a peaceful night's rest.

Breakfast was a delight, as I had the opportunity to speak with some very charming guests, and my breakfast consisted of fresh fruits, yogurt, homemade warm croissants and yummy granola. I felt completely refreshed after my visit to The Darling House, and look forward to another stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business