“Out of business?”

Shakespeare Santa Cruz
More attraction details
Owner description: Shakespeare Santa Cruz is a professional theatre company in residence at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Founded in 1981, SSC presents a season of Shakespeare and non-Shakespeare plays each summer, as well as a family musical each November and December. SSC is perfect entertainment for the whole family, and welcomes groups of all sizes!
Berlin, Germany
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Out of business?”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The website states that SSC has closed its doors as of December 8, 2013? Could the staff of SCC kindly respond?

Visited April 2014

Santa Cruz, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Shakespear at UCSC”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've been attending the theater programs here for over 10 years. I guess I'm disappointed at them charging for parking to attend their performance. I also have ushered and disappointed when you volunteer your time you also have to pay for parking. I live the live arts and will continue to support them, as the performances are fantastic.

Visited July 2013
Rainier, Oregon
306 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 285 helpful votes
“SSC has been defunded”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

After many visits to SSC, where my son has performed as an intern and later in Equity, it saddens me to know that "budgetary requirements" are closing the show. Hopefully, the local burghers of Santa Cruz will step up to the plate, and maintain this gem.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Kalamariverrat
Santa Cruz, California, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A Classic Santa Cruz (Shakespeare) experience! But no more...”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

First rate Shakespeare, and, yes, performed (as Atkinson says before me) in a magical setting.
Unforgettable... but bear in mind that "forces that be" on campus or wherever planning on de-funding this cornerstone of the UC experience... We attend "Taming of the Shrew" in the glen and it was remarkable... and remarkable, too, that Shakespeare Santa Cruz may be coming to an end! What fools these mortals be...

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Robert S
Thoiry, Rhone-Alpes, France
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Amazing ambiance!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My boyfriend and I were staying at UCSC for a conference and we bought tickets to one of the evening shows of The Taming of the Shrew in the glen. We had high expectations but they were certainly surpassed. Viewing the show among the redwoods in the darkness of the forest was bewitching and an experience I won't soon forget. There was plenty of food being sold, and many people brought their own picnics. One can either reserve a seat or bring their own. One tip - wear layers and take a blanket!!! We wore layers, despite being there mid-August, but by intermission our teeth were chattering and we were desperately rubbing our hands together to stay warm.

Visited August 2013