“Good Stay. What I Expected.”

Hampton Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Vienna, VA
“Good Stay. What I Expected.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed here for one night in August 2011. It was exactly what I expect of Hampton Inn. Room was clean and very comfortable -- and it was a good-sized room also. It had a refrigerator in it as well. We did not experience any noise (we were on back side of hotel). Check in was very quick. The breakfast was fine. The pool was very small - we did not use it, nor did we plan to. The only negative I can think of is that for some reason unknown to me, the common areas (the lobby and upwards -- you can see the lobby from the upper floors) smelled funny (like there was some flooding or perhaps someone with really bad BO had been walking around). The smell seemed to subside overnight --- I didn't really count this against them. We got this room as a freebie as compensation for some major issues we had at another Hampton Inn. I did glance at the rate and it seemed a bit high to me.

The hotel is right near the freeway and not anywhere near the ocean. It's a quick drive down there and lots of good things to do in Santa Cruz. Try the beaches on either side of the boardwalk area -- we went South. You can also take a nice drive just north of the Boardwalk along the ocean. Santa Cruz is a fun place to visit and we found the Hampton Inn met our needs very comfortably.

Room Tip: Top floor on back side was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MisterMVA
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Wow. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review, and thank you so much for your positive feedback. We do try to let people know on our website that we are NOT right on the beach, but I'm not always sure that this is clear. Thank you for mentioning that. Very glad to know that you found so many things to do in town and that the hotel's location was convenient for all of this. Again, thank you for your very helpful comments and the time that it took to post the review. We hope that you will stay with us again when next you visit Santa Cruz!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
SANTA CRUZ,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

From the first day of my 5-day at Hampton Inn I was made to feel welcome and special. Throughout my stay I experienced a high level of professionalism and courtesy in responding to my needs and requests. the entire staff; from the manger to housekeeping were exceptional. I want to acknowledge the extraordinary efforts Sue, Jason, and Jorge in making my stay a great experience,along with other members of the staff who's names I regretfully. do not remember. When staying in the Santa Cruz area I plan to always book the Hampton Inn,out of the area, Hilton or one of its many affiliates.
Thank You and your organization for upholding some of the highest standards of service
and helping in the experience of a great stay.

Sincerly, Frank Michael Conetto

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FRANK C
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Wow! Thank you, Frank. You just made not only our day but our entire weekend, too. I speak for the entire staff in saying what a real pleasure it was to have you with us and we really look forward to seeing you again soon. Give us a little heads-up and I'll bake you a cake! :) Take care, and thanks again for such a very generous review.
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We choose this hotel because it was close to all the activities( 3 days) pertaining to the car show. I (wife) did not go to show but walked to downtown Santa Cruz (15 min) walk. Many shops and restaurants. Hotel did not have on site fitness room but had pass to Golds gym which had every machine possible and more! Front desk personal very helpful with restaurant suggestions. Breakfast was good, variety of food. I like very HOT water for my tea and this was available 24/7. Sun. was a check out day and I didn't go to the car show. Stayed at hotel. Sue made me feel welcomed and let me know that if there was anything I needed just ask. Weather (cloudy/cold) not able to go to beach.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Thank you so much for your review and positive feedback. We really like hearing from our guests about their experience not only at the hotel but in Santa Cruz, as well. I'm glad that you were able to walk to the downtown shops! It's something that I really enjoy as well. We hope that you will stay with us again when you're back in Santa Cruz - and thanks again for your review.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed here for 1 night, and will never go back. The hotel was dated and overpriced (our room was $340 USD including tax), and there was an atmosphere of creepiness. It's hard to explain what gave the hotel this feeling, but it was possibly its age and need of refurbishment. The room was boiling when we arrived late in the afternoon, and I had to go to the ice machine at about 1am and put ice on my neck to cool my body temperature. The air-conditioning was noisy and inefficient. We couldn't open the window because of the sound of the traffic. I couldn't wait for the night to be over so we could check out. Having said all of that, the lady at check in was pleasant and there were no other glitches. The beds were fine, if a little on the soft side. Maybe other rooms were more comfortable. This however was my worst night in a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road, as the hotel is on a busy road.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Pickle79
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
I am really so sorry to hear that your stay at our hotel feel so short of expectations. I appreciate your letting us know about this, while being at a loss as to how to rectify the situation.

Normally our rooms rates are quite a bit lower than what you paid; we have a few very high demand weekends during the summer, and I think that you must have stayed with us during that time. Normally, summer weekend rates are around $200 with off-season rates significantly lower than that.

The hotel was built about 11 years ago, and the guest rooms were completely redone 2 years ago. I'm not sure how to explain your feeling that the hotel is old and in need of refurbishment, as this is actually the first time that I have heard this complaint. However, it is certainly something that I will keep in mind.

Finally, I'm really disappointed to hear that your room was uncomfortably hot at night. The temperatures in Santa Cruz have been quite cool this summer excepting 4th of July weekend - perhaps this was when you stayed with us?? I am so sorry that you were uncomfortable. Again, please accept our apologies for this, and thank you for taking the time to write.
Great Lakes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Right on Ocean Street, so close to Highway 1 for getting north or South after your stay. The hotel is run well and always a friendly welcome here. I prefer rooms at the back or side of the building, as they are quieter, but the front rooms do not suffer from too much traffic noise. Typically for a Hampton Inn, there is coffee and tea available and a small desk with PC etc for internet access. This is always a good value and more importantly - a clean and reliable place to stop in Santa Cruz.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your very kind review. We're so glad that you find the hotel to be a good stopover in Santa Cruz, and hope that you will come and stay with us again and again!
Hayward, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

hotel was right by offramp of freeway, traffic noise all night....rooms small, but nice, with mini fridge and microwave....bathrooms nice too. breakfast adequate, and indoor pool small and clean. could probably have done better price wise, at another hotel

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Thanks very much for your review. I have to admit, my sense of irony is kicking in when reading this review right after its immediate predecessor... we do try to make all of our guests happy but that is an extremely difficult thing to do! But I'm really glad that you liked the rooms and found your stay adequate. And again, thank you for taking the time to write.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Exactly what I expected from a Hampton Inn. Nice room - clean, comfortable bed, friendly, accomodating hotel staff. Very conveniently located, right off the highway. Very nicely priced at about half the rate of some of the other Santa Cruz properties. My AARP rate, with tax, came to less than $125 for the night - and that included a nice breakfast, with many food choices, very good coffee, and waffles you made fresh on the spot! I would definitely stay there again! We were in town to hear my good friend, singer, Sony Holland, perform and I was sorry I hadn't booked the hotel for a second night. Santa Cruz is too wonderful a place, with its great restaurants and beautiful scenery, to rush in and out in a single day.

I've stayed at many different properties in Santa Cruz during my 34 years of living in the Bay area but I don't think I'd go anywhere but the Hampton Inn now that I've discovered how nice it iis!

My only complaint was that the wi-fi was so slow, I finally gave up on it. It was a good thing I wasn't there on business and really needing to use my computer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
What lovely comments! Thank you so much!! I'm so glad to know that you enjoyed not just the hotel but Santa Cruz, as well... I agree, Santa Cruz is a special place (and sometimes quirky, but that's just part of its charm, yes?)

So sorry about the internet connection... actually, we're in the process of converting from wired to wireless connections throughout the hotel and not to pass the buck but we're sort of at the mercy of the company that is doing this work. Again, I'm really sorry for the inconvenience and do hope to have this done by early fall.

Thanks again for posting such a great review, we really appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!