“Insufficient parking spaces”

Hampton Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My 16 year-old son and I spent one night at the Hampton Inn Santa Cruz near the end of our San Francisco vacation. We wanted to spend a night at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk before heading to Big Sur in the morning.

The room is conveniently located at the Route 1 / Route 17 junction. It was easy to find. We returned from the Boardwalk close to midnight and found no available parking spots. The front desk clerk advised us to park on the street at the side of the hotel. Leaving my rental car on the street was not a comforting feeling. The front desk blamed the adjacent Denny's for the lack of parking spots. From looking at the signs put up in both parking lots it appears that Denny's and the Hampton are in a constant war over parking spaces.

The next morning I walked through the parking lot counting spaces - at best I got to 37 spaces counting a few areas that probably weren't spots. At least half of these spots were handicapped or 'compact car only" parking spots. Cars were parked near the entrance and in other spots that probably should be fire lanes. We were parked behind a truck on the side street. I am not sure how a hotel gets built with more rooms than parking spaces.

Other than the parking issues, this is a standard Hampton - comfortable beds, nice sized rooms, mininimal traffic noise, one very slow elevator. The front desk staff at check in (the afteroon shift) was very helpful with directions to the Boardwalk.

I am a Hampton guy - I have used Hilton Honors points to stay at Hamptons and look to Hamptons and Hilton Garden Inns as my first choices when possible. That being said, I would never stay here again - the parking situation just overrides everything else. Our rate here was only $30 per night less than the Omni in San Francisco and only $10 less the Hard Rock in San Diego - and we got far less.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quiet. Arrive early to make sure you get a parking space.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

I'm very sorry to hear about the difficulty you had with parking while at the hotel. We have shared our back parking lot with Denny's since we opened, and while we consider it a mutually beneficial arrangement unfortunately during busy summer nights it can get crowded when both of us are running at capacity. The Hampton Inn does actually have the required amount of parking (and would not have received building approval otherwise) - however, as the lot is not gated it is possible that extra vehicles occasionally find their way in.

I do apologize, as I know myself how aggravating a situation like this can be, and am very sorry to hear that it would preclude you from staying with us again. We hope that you will reconsider! and we do thank you for taking the time to let us know about this.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Room was clean and the continental breakfast was good. There were transients and very questionable individuals roaming the parking lot as we parked. We brought all our valuables into the room at night. Locked my bike into the bed of my truck in the morning and as we gathered our luggage and checked out the lock was cut and bike stolen in broad daylight (~within 20 min). I returned to the front desk to inform them of what just happened and they did absolutely nothing; had to call the police myself. I asked about a security camera for their parking lot and I was told it was completely useless. I guess I was lucky that nobody stuck a gun in my face.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

We are so very sorry that this could have happened while you were here with us. I am especially sorry if you felt that the staff was unresponsive to this problem, and will definitely speak to them regarding this, and to advise them to connect any guest having security issues with the police department immediately. Again, our sincerest apologies and we really hope that your bicycle is recovered soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2011

This Hampton Inn could fit inside the courtyards of other Hampton Inns I have stayed at. The rooms are very small if you have more than two people staying in the room. The bathroom was good sized but I felt that they need to remove the chair in the room to make more room for the two beds. This room would have worked if there was only a King bed in it. There also was no workout room, but they did allow you to go to Golds gym (big whoop) The Parking was alright but it seemed to be in the pathway of a lot of odd characters in Santa Cruz, as I saw more than once what appeared to be transients walk thru the front of the hotel. I would be hesitant to stay at this location again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Hi, and thanks for your review. You are right, we are in fact the smallest (46 rooms) of any Hampton Hotel in the chain - some of which has to do with local building ordinances and some of which has to do with the shortage of commercially zoned space in Santa Cruz. As much as we would like this not to be the case, we try to do our best with it (and actually our rooms are larger than many others here in town). I'm very sorry to hear that you are ambivalent about staying with us again, and certainly hope that you will decide to when you come to town again... again, thanks very much for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed here for one night in August 2011. It was exactly what I expect of Hampton Inn. Room was clean and very comfortable -- and it was a good-sized room also. It had a refrigerator in it as well. We did not experience any noise (we were on back side of hotel). Check in was very quick. The breakfast was fine. The pool was very small - we did not use it, nor did we plan to. The only negative I can think of is that for some reason unknown to me, the common areas (the lobby and upwards -- you can see the lobby from the upper floors) smelled funny (like there was some flooding or perhaps someone with really bad BO had been walking around). The smell seemed to subside overnight --- I didn't really count this against them. We got this room as a freebie as compensation for some major issues we had at another Hampton Inn. I did glance at the rate and it seemed a bit high to me.

The hotel is right near the freeway and not anywhere near the ocean. It's a quick drive down there and lots of good things to do in Santa Cruz. Try the beaches on either side of the boardwalk area -- we went South. You can also take a nice drive just north of the Boardwalk along the ocean. Santa Cruz is a fun place to visit and we found the Hampton Inn met our needs very comfortably.

Room Tip: Top floor on back side was very comfortable and quiet.
1  Thank MisterMVA
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review, and thank you so much for your positive feedback. We do try to let people know on our website that we are NOT right on the beach, but I'm not always sure that this is clear. Thank you for mentioning that. Very glad to know that you found so many things to do in town and that the hotel's location was convenient for all of this. Again, thank you for your very helpful comments and the time that it took to post the review. We hope that you will stay with us again when next you visit Santa Cruz!

Reviewed 23 August 2011

From the first day of my 5-day at Hampton Inn I was made to feel welcome and special. Throughout my stay I experienced a high level of professionalism and courtesy in responding to my needs and requests. the entire staff; from the manger to housekeeping were exceptional. I want to acknowledge the extraordinary efforts Sue, Jason, and Jorge in making my stay a great experience,along with other members of the staff who's names I regretfully. do not remember. When staying in the Santa Cruz area I plan to always book the Hampton Inn,out of the area, Hilton or one of its many affiliates.
Thank You and your organization for upholding some of the highest standards of service
and helping in the experience of a great stay.

Sincerly, Frank Michael Conetto

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank FRANK C
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Wow! Thank you, Frank. You just made not only our day but our entire weekend, too. I speak for the entire staff in saying what a real pleasure it was to have you with us and we really look forward to seeing you again soon. Give us a little heads-up and I'll bake you a cake! :) Take care, and thanks again for such a very generous review.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

We choose this hotel because it was close to all the activities( 3 days) pertaining to the car show. I (wife) did not go to show but walked to downtown Santa Cruz (15 min) walk. Many shops and restaurants. Hotel did not have on site fitness room but had pass to Golds gym which had every machine possible and more! Front desk personal very helpful with restaurant suggestions. Breakfast was good, variety of food. I like very HOT water for my tea and this was available 24/7. Sun. was a check out day and I didn't go to the car show. Stayed at hotel. Sue made me feel welcomed and let me know that if there was anything I needed just ask. Weather (cloudy/cold) not able to go to beach.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Thank you so much for your review and positive feedback. We really like hearing from our guests about their experience not only at the hotel but in Santa Cruz, as well. I'm glad that you were able to walk to the downtown shops! It's something that I really enjoy as well. We hope that you will stay with us again when you're back in Santa Cruz - and thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed here for 1 night, and will never go back. The hotel was dated and overpriced (our room was $340 USD including tax), and there was an atmosphere of creepiness. It's hard to explain what gave the hotel this feeling, but it was possibly its age and need of refurbishment. The room was boiling when we arrived late in the afternoon, and I had to go to the ice machine at about 1am and put ice on my neck to cool my body temperature. The air-conditioning was noisy and inefficient. We couldn't open the window because of the sound of the traffic. I couldn't wait for the night to be over so we could check out. Having said all of that, the lady at check in was pleasant and there were no other glitches. The beds were fine, if a little on the soft side. Maybe other rooms were more comfortable. This however was my worst night in a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road, as the hotel is on a busy road.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Pickle79
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

I am really so sorry to hear that your stay at our hotel feel so short of expectations. I appreciate your letting us know about this, while being at a loss as to how to rectify the situation.

Normally our rooms rates are quite a bit lower than what you paid; we have a few very high demand weekends during the summer, and I think that you must have stayed with us during that time. Normally, summer weekend rates are around $200 with off-season rates significantly lower than that.

The hotel was built about 11 years ago, and the guest rooms were completely redone 2 years ago. I'm not sure how to explain your feeling that the hotel is old and in need of refurbishment, as this is actually the first time that I have heard this complaint. However, it is certainly something that I will keep in mind.

Finally, I'm really disappointed to hear that your room was uncomfortably hot at night. The temperatures in Santa Cruz have been quite cool this summer excepting 4th of July weekend - perhaps this was when you stayed with us?? I am so sorry that you were uncomfortable. Again, please accept our apologies for this, and thank you for taking the time to write.