“Clean, beautiful and tasty”

Hampton Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #21 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
A TripAdvisor Member
“Clean, beautiful and tasty”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This Hampton in Santa Cruz was a great place for our family to gather for a wedding trip. With lots of family there we appreciated the large gathering/breakfast room/ lobby that allowed us to relax and visit. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was tasty with coffee available all day.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you found your room, our breakfast area, and the breakfast itself to your liking. While we do not have banquet facilities or meeting rooms, we find that many wedding groups like to stay with us due to our convenient location and value. Thank you for the great review, and we look forward to seeing you and your family again, perhaps for a future anniversary gathering!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Fresno, California
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I pulled into the parking lot of this hotel to find EVERY parking space labeled "COMPACT ONLY". All vehicles (none of which were compact) were parked so that it required shimmying to get out of your car, and mine now has a few door dings...The walls of our room must have been made from rice paper, because I can tell you the names of the occupants staying in the room next to us... Being on the first floor, it sounded like the lobby breakfast buffet was IN our room rather then five feet from our door (lousy layout). And I've never slept so close to a street! Let alone a shared driveway to a 24hr Denny's restaurant! I let the front desk know that the room was a sound magnet and that I didn't sleep a wink and asked for another room. They said they were booked solid and apologized. I realize that thin walls, a space under the door you can see through, poor hotel design, and all night traffic is not the fault of the hotel clerk, but some compensation should have been made for my miserable experience, but there was nothing offered. The nod and apology seemed rehearsed and routine. We only stayed two nights, so after checking with front desk many times to see if something had come available for night number two, (it hadn't, but I received an apology) I asked for earplugs which they provided- that's my positive feedback, that they had earplugs (and toasted almonds for the oatmeal which was free). The last straw- I asked for late checkout when I booked this room, two weeks prior. I stated again when checking in, I'd like late checkout, but never received a yes or no answer. The night before our checkout, I called the front desk to be told there would be no late checkout requests honored, but I did get yet another apology...

Room Tip: Avoid Santa Cruz. It's scary.
2 Thank ThymeLee
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay at our hotel. We are currently addressing your complaints through another channel to ensure your satisfaction. However, I would like to address your complaints here, as well.

I'm sorry that you found parking difficult at our property. It is true that we have a number of compact parking spaces at our hotel, but we also provide non-compact spaces at the rear of our property which can accommodate larger vehicles.

As for the noise issues you experienced during your stay, as I understand it, the other attendees of the youth soccer tournament you were participating in were the cause of some excess noise during breakfast. While we do urge guests to be considerate of others, large gatherings can sometimes disturb guests staying on the first floor, despite our efforts. Unfortunately, we were entirely sold out during that weekend, and were unable to relocate you.

While we do make our best efforts to accommodate late checkouts, we cannot guarantee their availability due to a number of factors outside of our control. I'm sorry that we were unable to offer you the three hour late checkout that you requested, but unfortunately it was simply not available.

Again, we are working through other channels to ensure your satisfaction. We hope that have the opportunity to have you with us again and provide you with a more positive experience.
Sacramento, United States
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Awesome place to stay. Right off freeway, close to down town. Staff were wonderful. Great breakfast. Room very clean. Front desk staff were very courteous. Parking was good but some spaces limited do to Denny's next door

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Daniel C
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay at our hotel! I'm glad that our location worked so well for you, and that you enjoyed our breakfast and staff. It's true that we do share a parking lot with Denny's and that sometimes it does get a little crowded, but it's a pretty sizable lot so there's enough spaces for everyone. Thanks for the great review!
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Staying at this hotel you certainly get a true taste of what Santa Cruz is all about. It is infested with homeless street people. The hotel outer entrance is a pass-through for the neighboring homeless shelter people, and right next door to Denny's where they hang out. I was told by the front desk clerk that my vehicle would be safer in the front, because the police, at least, drive by the front of the hotel. Comforting! Air conditioner is noisy, beds way too soft, pillows flat and breakfast disappointing. Once again, another Santa Cruz "facade" hotel not worth the money, nor your time. I'm convinced that anyone who writes a positive review of this hotel, probably doesn't get out much.

1 Thank myreview818
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, but I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay at our property. It is true that Santa Cruz has a noticeable homeless population and that some do travel using Ocean Street, and I apologize if you were made uncomfortable. I would also like to apologize if you felt you vehicle was unsafe at our property, and while it is true that vehicles are more visible from the street in our front lot, I can assure you that we have had relatively few issues with guest vehicles. Thanks again, and we hope that we have another opportunity to have you with us again in the future.
San Diego, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel leverages any busy UC weekend to ramp up prices. They also leverage any change in itinerary to up the prices as well. The good - good standard motel room. Comfortable bed. Good towels. The bad - Rip off pricing. Noisy AC. Cramped parking. Breakfast in name only.

1 Thank Peter J H
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
I'm sorry if our hotel's value did not meet your expectations. UCSC's move-in falls on one of the busiest weekends of the year for Santa Cruz, due to multiple special events occurring simultaneously. It is true that this affects hotel pricing in the area, and you will find that our rates are comparable to other hotels of similar quality. Again, I apologize if you were disappointed with your rate, but I hope that we have another opportunity to see you on your next trip to Santa Cruz.
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Good location close to downtown, staff is excellent,very accomodating, hotel is clean. I am a repeat visitor to Santa Cruz on business and will always stay here. Highly recommended for business or pleasure.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank HDSouls
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you found our staff and location to your liking. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Santa Cruz.
Sacramento, CA, United States
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Hampton is easy to find, being close to major access highways. The atrium was well lighted, and made for a pleasant walk in the corridors. The television was DirecTV with lots of viewing choices to offer. The facility was clean, bright, quiet and secure.

1 Thank Don D
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I'm happy to read that you enjoyed the DIRECTV in your room, as well as our atrium -- it's a fairly uncommon design for a Hampton Inn, and it really does let a lot of natural light in. Thanks again, and I hope to see you the next time you're in the area!