“Good Hotel”

Hampton Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Good hotel - very convenient to highway, and not far from downtown Santa Cruz. Very clean. Internet access and good comp. breakfast. Nice fitness room. Pool is very small and really only for children to splash around in. Free parking but parking in back a little sketchy. Very nice staff - helpful. The rate I got was a little pricey - but last minute.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank James D
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself at our property, and that you found our staff and amenities to your liking. It's true that our pool is mostly suited for children, or anyone who's looking to swim very short laps! For future visits, you can find lower rates typically by booking ahead -- this also helps as we have a tendency to sell out! Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel in mid-January. Made my reservations on line - accidentally clicked on the wrong date. Showed up at the hotel and Diane went out of her way to find me a room. Only stayed 1 night but it was perfect. The room was fresh and clean, the bed was so comfortable, the complimentary breakfast the next morning was just right - lots of options to choose from. Jorge (front desk) and manager were very accommodating and handled a billing issue (because of me clicking on the wrong date) with diplomacy and tact. I'll be back there in March on the way to a Mom's weekend getaway and I know the stay there will be just right!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Barbara S
JasonSantaCruz, Public Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Wow! What a great review! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with others, and for acknowledging Diane, Jorge, and Ray (our manager). I'm very happy that everything worked out and that we were able to accommodate you. It's great that you enjoyed our property, and found the breakfast and your room to your liking. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you again in March!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We like to come back to Hampton Inn Santa Cruz. Good location and improved service. Breakfast is also much better. If you want a real American experience, don't forget to visit the Santa Cruz Diner! Within walking distance - if you are from Europe

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lennart L

Thanks for the great review, and for choosing to come back to our property! I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you noticed our improved breakfast! I'm an especially big fan of the potatoes. I hope that you get a chance to visit Santa Cruz again soon, and that we have the opportunity to have you with us again when you do!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Great Hotel to stay Staff is wonderful you need something they are right there to get it for you thanks to the manager running a great team. I will say my stay was wonderful. I was there to have so away time with the family and this was one of our getaway places

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy D

I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! I hope you had a great time with your family in Santa Cruz. I'll make sure the manager, Ray, sees your comments -- it's always nice to get a great compliment! Thanks for the great review, and for taking the time to share you experience at our hotel. I hope that we can see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights just after Christmas. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff efficient and pleasant. The breakfast is typical of complimentary hotel breakfasts and they kept it well-stocked.

We stayed in a room with a sofa bed, which like most sofa beds is ridiculously uncomfortable.

One reason we stayed here was it has a small indoor pool. It's heated and comfortable, but I'd recommend a slightly warmer air temperature. It seems very cold when you come out of the water. I'd also suggest some sort of blinds, as the pool faces the walkway by the parking lot. It just seems a bit exposed.

This a comment about the general area. It is OK, but I did notice a lot of perhaps homeless men walking through the area. They didn't linger and the hotel doors are key-access only. The hotel is located fairly close to the highway so highway noise may be an issue.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank marmac_10

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at our property, and that you found your room and our amenities were to your liking. Next time you're with us again, I hope you get to try our new and improved breakfast, which offers fresher and healthier choices.

It's true that Santa Cruz as a whole does have a noticeable homeless population, and that you can sometimes see them passing by our property. I'm sorry if this was somewhat off-putting, but you are correct that we do have doors that require keycards for entry, as well as an attentive staff. Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We didn't experience any problems like the other guests did related to billing or credit charges - therefore we didn't experience THAT side of the service. However the other side (check-in, breakfast, check-out) was very pleasant. I wouldn't say they went above and beyond, but the check-in agent did show genuine interest in why we were there, where we planned to eat dinner, etc.

The room was a typical Hampton room with a typical Hampton bed. It wasn't anything to really write about. It was clean, the bathroom was clean, and it has a more modern finish for a decent value.

The breakfast, again, is a standard Hampton breakfast. Nothing to really write about, but when you consider the dwindling number of hotels that offer breakfast, it adds to the value, even if you find it to be mediocre when you're eating it.

The location is 'okay.' This is the only real drawback to the hotel. It is too far to walk to anything related to touristing Santa Cruz. The drive isn't too long, but it can be frustrating to have to deal with the parking situation near the boardwalk area.

My biggest problem here was the parking lot. The spaces are very tight, moving around the parking lot itself is very tight and if you aren't careful you can damage your car pulling into and out of the parking spaces. The curb height it much higher than normal. Usually if you pull to far ahead you would just scrape the bottom or the plastic underneath. But this curbing is high enough that just about any car, whether small or large, will actually impact the curbing on the face, SO DO BE CAREFUL.

Overall I wouldn't count against them for the curbing. It's not something easily fixable. But given the opportunity they should see about fixing it or placing warnings.

The stay was good enough to where I would stay here again given the opportunity.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank telamm

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found value in our hotel and its amenities. I'm not sure what you mean regarding billing issues, but I'm glad to hear that you did not experience any problems.

Our breakfast has really increased in value lately, as we now offer a greater selection of items, including fresher and healthier items. People really seem to like it. I hope that we can have you with us again so you can try our breakfast and let us know what you think!

I'm sorry that your car had trouble in our parking lot. We've never received complaints about the height of our curbs before -- they seem to be of standard dimensions. I've personally never experienced problems with them, but I could see that perhaps a car that's especially low to the ground could have some trouble.

Thanks again for your thoughtful and thorough review. I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again soon!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Not luxurious, but well priced, comfortable and family-friendly, with excellent service and hot breakfast. This hotel isn't near the beach or within walking distance of town, but it is still conveniently located and surprisingly quiet.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank teenmama

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you found our rates to be well priced. It's true that we are two miles from the beach and a little under a mile from downtown, but I'm glad that you were happy with the convenience and quietness of our location. I hope that we have you and your family with us again soon!