“Clean, great location, friendly staff”

Hampton Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Benicia, United States
“Clean, great location, friendly staff”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, place was so clean, staff very helpful, breakfast choices were good. We did not want out sheets washed and changed every day and they were good about being sure this happened, or didn't as the case may be! Very close to all things you want to do in Santa Cruz. Staff was well versed on are, and very helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Susan R
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
What a nice review! Thanks for taking the time to share you experience at our property -- I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff helpful and well-versed. I hope that you had a chance to visit the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and our historic downtown Pacific Avenue. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Arcata, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I am pretty easy going, but was really disappointed with this hotel. For $200 per night, it was hot, no air-conditioning, the "pool" was about the size of a really big hot tub, and the noise was considerable (both traffic, and I could hear the people next door snoring). No in-room coffee maker. We left a day early because it was pretty uncomfortable. On a positive note, I received a refund for the night we did not stay. Staff was very nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Jennifer H
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. While I'm glad that you enjoyed your room and our staff, I'm sorry that you experienced noise issues during your recent stay. For future reference, coffee makers in our guest rooms are located near the TV, and the air conditioning unit by the window can be controlled via the thermostat on the wall. I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again in the future.
New Hope, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

we stayed in Santa Cruz because it was a little less expensive than Monterey but actually really loved the Santa Cruz area plus all the things to do and see - plus it was only a realatively short drive to Monterey

1 Thank Dennis O
Thanks for the great review! I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your time at our property and our excellent city of Santa Cruz! It's true that Monterey is a relatively short drive away, and you can easily make a day-trip and do many of the great things down there while saving a little money. I hope that we get to see you again soon!
jensplayin22
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Service was great. Breakfast was great. Rooms were tiny and musty. It felt more like a Motel 6. Not somewhere I plan on going again. Santa Cruz or not it's way overpriced for the bad area and quality of room.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank jensplayin22
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
I'm very happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and our staff, but I'm sorry to hear that you found your room disappointing. I will speak to maintenance and make sure that any fragrance issues are being addressed immediately. Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and I hope we have the opportunity to have you with us again so we can provide you with a better experience.
Mount Shasta, California
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is on Ocean Blvd which is near the homeless center on Coral Street. I got hit up a couple times for money, as I had to park on the street, as the parking lot was full. I was worried about my new car getting broken into and me getting mugged. The room smelled misty and damp like old socks. It would have been nice if someone would have turned on the air conditioner in our room before we arrived. I am an Hilton HHonors member, there was no acknowledgement made in that regard either at check in or out. In fact, the lady at the front counter did not asked how my stay was. I used 50000 points which is equivalent of $625.00. I wouldn't have paid $100.00 for this room. I will never go back. In fact, I am cancelling my HHonors account and closing my Hilton credit card.

3 Thank MountShastaJohn
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
I'm sorry that your recent stay at our property was a disappointing one. It is true that Santa Cruz as a city, along with most beach towns in California, have a noticeable homeless presence, especially in times of economic hardship. It is true that about a mile away and across a river there is a homeless shelter in Santa Cruz, but you will see that the homeless population is not kept confined to a small area. I'm sorry that you were asked for money -- typically we do not experience issues with the homeless, but I am sorry that you were made uncomfortable.

As we share our rear parking lot with the Denny's next door, sometimes there are few spots left in our rear parking lot immediately adjacent to our hotel. Please feel free in the future to park anywhere in this rear lot or ask a front desk agent for assistance. I am sorry that you were not greeted as a Hilton Hhonors member, and that the agent checking you out did not inquire after the quality of your stay. I assure you that you received your Hhonors points for staying at our property, but I'm sorry if this was not made clear.

I hope that you please reconsider cancelling your Hilton Hhonors membership, as it would be regrettable if this disappointing stay damaged your future relationship with the Hilton family of hotels. I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again so that we can provide you with a better experience.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This place was amazing! Courteous reception, and very helpful. Splendid room, and because we were there for a graduation, there was a gift bag with food, drink & toys, and a bottle of Apple Cider. The breakfasts were delicious and varied, and every staff member that we interacted with was warm, welcoming, and appreciative of our business. Although right at the end of the freeway, it was quiet. I can't think of anything that could have enhanced our say there.
Aline Koppel

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear of the building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DonaAline
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and for choosing to stay with us during UCSC's graduation! I'm happy you enjoyed your gift bag, our hot breakfast, and our wonderful staff -- I'll make sure to share your review with them to brighten everyone's day. We hope we get the opportunity to have you with us again soon!
San Diego, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was unable to ignore the lingering smell and noise coming from the elevator. Bad customer service from front desk staff. Since the hotel was fully booked, I had to request for another hotel accommodation late at night. This was a very disappointing experience.

1 Thank Marella G
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
I'm sorry that your visit to our property was a disappointing one. It's true that as we were fully booked we did not have another room to move you to, but I hope that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel we arranged for you. I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again in the future so that we can provide you with a more positive experience.