“Great service, food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Firefish Grill

Firefish Grill
Ranked #13 of 368 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly, Romantic, View, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Add some fire to your next dining experience at the FireFish Grill, where we specialize in fresh seafood, steaks & homemade pasta dishes! At FireFish Grill, our specialty is quality. We are committed to serving fresh, high quality ingredients everyday. We offer a variety of California-style cuisine. We feature a mesquite wood burning grill in our new exhibition kitchen. When it comes to refreshment, we offer a full bar, specialty drinks, and an impressive beer and wine list. The heart and soul of our restaurant are the local residents of our community. We go to great measures to honor the bond with our locals by offering the most, delicious and affordable menu of specials for locals in all of Santa Cruz County.Our Locals Specials include some of the finest fresh seafood dishes imaginable, plus our awesome brined pork shop, and our signature Mile-High Meatloaf. At FireFish Grill, not only will you taste delicious food, you'll also experience fabulous ocean views from every seat in the house.
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great service, food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I had dinner here. Service was excellent. Food was well prepared, fresh. I had a prawn cocktail with a Caesar salad with a chicken breast. My husband had halibut finished with a wonderful lobster butter. The sauce was worth the trip. It came with a vegetable medley and garlic mashed potatoes. We would definately return.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Beth C

USA
“Go for the view but be cautious about the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

This is a better restaurant than most of the old, tired, overpriced touristy places on the municipal wharf, but go for the drinks and view and avoid the food. It is very loud, and tables are crammed together and seats at tables are crammed together also. The service we experienced was fine. Menus are laminated - not to be expected at these prices but as a tourist factory, not surprising. Avoid the fried seafood - the quality seems questionable with the mask of very heavy commercial style breading. The fried calamari was so far from real calamari that it was laughable, and all the seafood was very highly seasoned.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Canada
“Ambience galore!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

The view from Fire Fish is stunning. Go before sunset and plan ahead to get a window table. Food was wonderful and service likewise. Definitely worth visiting if you are looking for good food, service and view!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank tanfan
Murrieta
“Great Views Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

On the Santa Cruz Pier, Fire Fish Grill has an open kitchen where you can watch the cooks preparing all their specialties. We went in there just to snack. Calamari was fresh and cooked to perfection, Chowder was thick and loaded with clams. One of my major complaints was the bread rolls, hard and cold.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Julie D
Santa Cruz
“Disappointing meal due to hostess”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

What’s the best thing about going out to the Santa Cruz wharf? The view! Of course. Being locals, we get to see the view all the time, and we’re constantly in awe of it and oh so appreciative of it. When we have guests from out of town, we love to take them to one of the spectacular places in Santa Cruz, and if it involves a restaurant with an ocean view, the Santa Cruz wharf is the place to go. Our usual place is Riva’s Fish House. The view is great, and the food and service are good. The gelato is a real treat.

This time, we decided to try a new place to us, and opted for Firefish. We had heard the commercials on KPIG and had walked by it, and it looked like a nice, upscale place. We walked into Firefish and the first thing that caught our attention was the incredibly sticky floor. Ew. We were greeted by the hostess and we told her that we would have four or five in our party for lunch, and we would love to sit near the window if possible, so that our out of town guests could soak in the lovely view. We could see that one dining room was large, with a giant window along the entire wall, with a great view from Cowell’s Beach, to the lighthouse, and beyond. The hostess explained that if we have four in our party, we could sit by the window, but larger parties, fit better in the next row of tables. That seemed fine to us.

We waited for our party to arrive, five in all, and we were then led to the second, smaller dining room, which also had large windows on one side. Two of our party made a detour to the bathroom, We were seated at a table that was tucked behind a wall and the only view any of us had was of the staff service area! I couldn’t believe it. I would only want to sit there if the place was packed and there was an hour wait for another table. Otherwise, I could be in any restaurant anywhere else in the country. The place was only 1/4 to 1/3 full. I have no idea why the hostess sat us there. We waited for our other guests to return from the bathroom, and by then our drink orders were being taken. I really should have requested another table, as in any other table in the large, vacant restaurant, but by that time, three of us were already situated and drink orders were being taken. I was so disappointed.

We looked over the menus. I asked what was good for vegetarians, and was told salad. I looked at the five salads on the menu: Baby Spinach Salad with bacon, Bay Shrimp Salad, House Salad, Crab Louie, and Classic Caesar Salad (which traditionally has raw eggs and anchovies in the dressing). So, of the five salads, four had meat in them. I asked for the Spinach Salad minus the bacon. It was fresh spinach, a few cherry tomatoes, a few cucumber slices, a sliced hard-boiled egg, and a large dish of yummy pomegranate honey dressing. It was fresh and basic, but good. No bacon. It was $11.95. That would be fine, because we know we’re paying for the view. Oh right, we had no view. So we’re paying for?

My Auntie from NYC had the clam chowder, my mom had the clam chowder and Oysters Rockefeller, my dad had a chicken filet, and my husband had the Caesar Salad with Salmon. They all said that their meals were good, not spectacular, but good. There were several times where our ice tea glasses were empty and we were waiting for refills, but overall the service was pleasant.

I thought about contacting the manager to complain, so I looked on the website, found the contact form, wrote about our experience, and tried to send it in, but the website email wasn’t working and my form did not go through.

I would say that the best thing about Firefish is the view. Because of our weird hostess experience though, we won’t be back and I can’t really recommend it to other diners, locals or tourists.

• Visited October 2013