“Avoid at all costs”

and 1 more site!
Edgewater Beach Motel
Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 2 June 2008

If cost is no object, and you like poorly-built one-star motels straight out of the 60’s, then this place is for you! Specializing in tacky, with a pepto bismol color scheme, you get it all from cigarette burns in the carpet to plastic sheets. This place made Motel 6 look like the Ritz. Bring your checkbook if you plan on having pets because each time they pee outside will earn you a $20 fine. Also if a neighbor once complaines of the least bit of dog noise during your trip you are required to pay for that person’s stay. There were at least 10 other dog rules I had to sign prior to viewing the room, all with added fines attached. Upon seeing the room I wondered what exactly a pet could do to make anything in it worse.

The staff was very impolite and only wanted my money. I had unfortunately booked a reservation before seeing the amenities (or lack thereof) and was refused a refund. We stayed at the Hilton which was 100 times nicer for $50 less per night and found out the same room we had reserved was booked after we left proving to me that the Edgewater Motel cares only about getting your money and nothing else. The prices were outrageous, the staff were unprofessional and rude, and the rooms were hideous. I had no qualms about having my bank dispute the charge with the hotel (who should know they had no clout in trying to charge $600 for two nights in a room I never stayed at). I got my money back, because the Edgewater grossly misrepresented itself online and over the phone. Don’t let their website fool you and make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ehren12

Reviewed 28 May 2008

This motel was heinous. Despite being called a pet friendly hotel, upon arriving we were served with a pet "contract". The rules were rediculous (1. anytime your dog pees on the numerous flowers you will be charged 20 dollars, EACH TIME!! 2. If your dog barks and someone complains, you are liable to pay for their entire stay! The list goes on to about 10) The carpet was old and musty, cigarette burns everywhere. The beds had plastic covers on them. For 300 plus a night you shouldn't have to hear crinkle, crinkle ever time you roll over. The staff was unprofessional, the wrong room was given to us and we recieved a rude phone call to leave the room immediately. This was within the first 20 minutes of our arrival. Our group left for the Hilton down the street, despite the non refundable policy. In the end our peace of mind was worth it.

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank LilCougRN
Reviewed 22 February 2008

Do not expect anything more than a beach motel. I have been debating between liking this place and being totally grossed out by it. I have a california family travel book and edgewater was listed as a good place for families. Yeah, there is a grill, picnic benches, kitchens and separate rooms. You don't have to drive to the beach, boardwalk or wharf, which is huge. BUT! The walls are paper thin and you may as well be sharing your room and bathroom with neighbors. People next door were up until 1:30 am both nights. They allow pets so you hear dogs barking. The doors slam shut and cause your children to wake from naps and get scared in the middle of the night that there is a stranger coming into your room. The kitchen didn't have paper towels or a clean sponge in the sink. We turned on the heater (which was scary in itself) at night. The living room space got heated but our room did not. There is a charge for every single little thing they can think of...kitchen deposits, dish charge for not placing them on the rack (and had to be clean), towels being misplaced (ours was in the kitchen and they wanted to charge us for missing towels). I saw the same price rooms at much nicer looking hotels, still within short walking distance to the beach.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank dobee13
Reviewed 7 September 2007

I was really worried when I read many of the prior reviews. My worries were unfounded. This place is great.
My room was the least expensive available (#103)- roomy for two people and a dog. The wireless internet is free. TV, Video&DVD player, shared interior patio, My dog loved the sliding glass door onto the enclosed outdoor patio. Microwaves/Frig. Each room has it's own parking space. Quick 3 min. walk to the pier and Boardwalk.
My room appeared to have been built in the 1950's. It was clean, comforatable, the staff was great. I've stayed in 4-Star hotels that didn't have as many ammenities. I haven't tried the pool but it looks great and was being cleaned when I arrived and the flowers/garden area were well kept and in bloom. For where it is and what it is (It's not the Ritz) I'd stay again and encourage others to try it.
(New managers since June 2007 may have made the difference)

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2007

Only good thing was they take dogs. Our room was filthy, musty smelling and they interior was neglected. The in- wall heater was filthy with cob webs, hair, grease and layers of dirt. Whoever wallpapered the place wallpapered over the pipes and anything else that was on the wall. Paper peeling-broken blinds .

Most importanly we did not feel safe at all. We observed the owners son and his friend sleep all day and party till dawn. They kept us up and they were not the type of people that were approachable to ask if they could keep it down.

One night we watched them overshoot a curb and get the car stuck on the lawn, they were all wasted and could not figure out how to get the car off the lawn. When one of them tried they punched the gas petal causing a big tire mark in the lawn and nearly run over some children right in front of a room.

2 thumbs way down for this place, while the location is great the motel is a tear down if you ask me.

The Manager was nice but I feel that he needs to find another hotel motel to work for.

In closing there is money to be made for hotel/motel owners in Santa Cruz They really should look into become pet friendly I certainly would pay top dollar for a nice room.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank dogfan
Reviewed 5 December 2006

The only reason we picked this place was because it allowed us to bring our dogs and that it was close to the beach. Apparently the end building of the motel is 150 years old, and it shows. We didtn't stay in that part but the managment was nice enough to give us a tour of the other rooms. Like I said, old. The comforter covers, Drapes and curtains, and some of the furniture looked as old as the building. Our room was nice because it had a small courtyard were we keep the dogs, even though, the room had some carpet stains and the blinds were broken. The price was ok. It would have been under $100 if we didn't have the dogs. I believe the dogs enjoyed it more then us. Would I stay there again? Yes, only because it's close to the beach and dog parks.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank justlade
Reviewed 9 October 2006

The motel does not live up to its' website. That is no surprise when compared to other places in the area. The room needed some work. It smelled. Mold, mildew, and bug spray come to mind. No airconditioning...didn't trust the wall heater. The main problem was how we were treated. We were chased down and reminded of the pet potty rules. We were reminded of the parking restrictions. We were required to sign a pet "contract". Checkout was traumatic. When I turned in the keys and remote controls one of the staff rushed to the room to check for "pet damage". We were there for one night, in the off season, and the only persons there...the place was empty. We obeyed all the rules. Yet, accused of breaking every one. This was not a chamber of commerce type welcome. We will not be back. \

• Stayed: October 2006