“Honeymoon Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Edgewater Beach Motel
Ranked #31 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 7 July 2008

This authentic Santa Cruz motel has it all! We parked our car in it's own designated spot and walked everywhere.! Beach, Boardwalk, Municipal Wharf, West Cliff Dr. and Downtown Pacific Avenue. That was when we were not in our "Captain's Cabin" in front of the fire, in the large jacuzzi tub or just enjoying the full view of the Bay. Staff was great.Trying not to be biased from their welcome to us w/ champagne and fresh flowers from the lush gardens! What was quite nice was having the children come vist for a family breakfast made in the state of the art kitchen, including granite counters and eaten on the private deck and lawn, again enjoying the picture perfect bay view! This is the Real Deal! Quintesential Santa Cruz. The only way to go with the awful gas prices. This motel does allow pets but they are so organized about it that it caused no problem for us.

• Stayed: June 2008

Reviewed 3 July 2008

We stayed here because it was close to the beach and we could have our dog with us. I was happily surprised to find it very clean and as with other pet places this one did not smell of pet odors. we found their pet policy quite reasonable. .the staff was very pleasant and helpful with directions and suggestions on what to do and see in the area with our pet. would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2008

This place bills itself as a "boutique" motel, and I must say it fills the bill in many ways. Located on a hill directly across from the Santa Cruz wharf, this place offers walking distance access to the beach, boardwalk, restaurants, and downtown. Park the car; you won't need it. It's a pretty place too, with lots of flowers, landscaping, patios, lawns, a pool, and a bbq deck. Our room was one of the newly remodeled ones, with a corner jacuzzi in the tiled bath, and a small deck off the bedroom w/ french doors. most rooms have a kitchen, which is kinda weird. The staff keeps the place immaculate, sometimes anally so, and the service is great. At first, I found the price to be a bit steep, but the local competition I checked out was slovenly and not much cheaper. So, I promptly went back and plunked down the green. It's a great place to kick back and say "AAHH".

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2008

If cost is no object, and you like poorly-built one-star motels straight out of the 60’s, then this place is for you! Specializing in tacky, with a pepto bismol color scheme, you get it all from cigarette burns in the carpet to plastic sheets. This place made Motel 6 look like the Ritz. Bring your checkbook if you plan on having pets because each time they pee outside will earn you a $20 fine. Also if a neighbor once complaines of the least bit of dog noise during your trip you are required to pay for that person’s stay. There were at least 10 other dog rules I had to sign prior to viewing the room, all with added fines attached. Upon seeing the room I wondered what exactly a pet could do to make anything in it worse.

The staff was very impolite and only wanted my money. I had unfortunately booked a reservation before seeing the amenities (or lack thereof) and was refused a refund. We stayed at the Hilton which was 100 times nicer for $50 less per night and found out the same room we had reserved was booked after we left proving to me that the Edgewater Motel cares only about getting your money and nothing else. The prices were outrageous, the staff were unprofessional and rude, and the rooms were hideous. I had no qualms about having my bank dispute the charge with the hotel (who should know they had no clout in trying to charge $600 for two nights in a room I never stayed at). I got my money back, because the Edgewater grossly misrepresented itself online and over the phone. Don’t let their website fool you and make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ehren12
Reviewed 28 May 2008

This motel was heinous. Despite being called a pet friendly hotel, upon arriving we were served with a pet "contract". The rules were rediculous (1. anytime your dog pees on the numerous flowers you will be charged 20 dollars, EACH TIME!! 2. If your dog barks and someone complains, you are liable to pay for their entire stay! The list goes on to about 10) The carpet was old and musty, cigarette burns everywhere. The beds had plastic covers on them. For 300 plus a night you shouldn't have to hear crinkle, crinkle ever time you roll over. The staff was unprofessional, the wrong room was given to us and we recieved a rude phone call to leave the room immediately. This was within the first 20 minutes of our arrival. Our group left for the Hilton down the street, despite the non refundable policy. In the end our peace of mind was worth it.

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank LilCougRN
Reviewed 22 February 2008

Do not expect anything more than a beach motel. I have been debating between liking this place and being totally grossed out by it. I have a california family travel book and edgewater was listed as a good place for families. Yeah, there is a grill, picnic benches, kitchens and separate rooms. You don't have to drive to the beach, boardwalk or wharf, which is huge. BUT! The walls are paper thin and you may as well be sharing your room and bathroom with neighbors. People next door were up until 1:30 am both nights. They allow pets so you hear dogs barking. The doors slam shut and cause your children to wake from naps and get scared in the middle of the night that there is a stranger coming into your room. The kitchen didn't have paper towels or a clean sponge in the sink. We turned on the heater (which was scary in itself) at night. The living room space got heated but our room did not. There is a charge for every single little thing they can think of...kitchen deposits, dish charge for not placing them on the rack (and had to be clean), towels being misplaced (ours was in the kitchen and they wanted to charge us for missing towels). I saw the same price rooms at much nicer looking hotels, still within short walking distance to the beach.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank dobee13
Reviewed 7 September 2007

I was really worried when I read many of the prior reviews. My worries were unfounded. This place is great.
My room was the least expensive available (#103)- roomy for two people and a dog. The wireless internet is free. TV, Video&DVD player, shared interior patio, My dog loved the sliding glass door onto the enclosed outdoor patio. Microwaves/Frig. Each room has it's own parking space. Quick 3 min. walk to the pier and Boardwalk.
My room appeared to have been built in the 1950's. It was clean, comforatable, the staff was great. I've stayed in 4-Star hotels that didn't have as many ammenities. I haven't tried the pool but it looks great and was being cleaned when I arrived and the flowers/garden area were well kept and in bloom. For where it is and what it is (It's not the Ritz) I'd stay again and encourage others to try it.
(New managers since June 2007 may have made the difference)

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple