“Charming motel”

and 1 more site!
Edgewater Beach Motel
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My family spent 4 days in the Edgewater Beach Motel in Santa Cruz. We were extremely happy to find a motel which is per friendly and very clean. They accomated pet areas near the rooms while maintaining children play areas like the front lawn. There was plenty of parking for our truck and small trailer. The ammenities included a heated pool, barbeque and picnic area. My son thought the best part was the one block distance to the Boardwalk.

Our room was well appointed and had a nice kitchen. Everyone on staff were very helpful with locating other attractions like Roaring Camp and the various srtate beaches in the area.

In talking with other guests I learned that every room is different. My wife told me that when we return next year, she is going to go on to their web site so we can get a different room.

We have recommended this estasblishment to our friends.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 July 2008

This was a great place to stay with the family. Plenty of room, no one is cramped and we had a full kitchen...which is great for the kids. The location is perfect. You just walk down a hill & your are at the warf, beach and Boardwalk. It was very easy to see the sights & find places to eat all within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2008

This was our first real vacation with our children and we truly feel like we disappointed them with our choice to stay here. We met a woman who claims she has stayed here every year for the past 20+ years. OMG - WHY!!!!! Our son has heart problems and needs a heated pool, so we called twice to verify that their pool was heated and each time we were told YES, it is heated, of course. Guess what - NOPE. It was so cold, I could not even put my toes in. For a child, to have a pool so close, yet so far out of reach was very disappointing. This was just the beginning of a disappointing week. Do not let the "great location with ocean views" fool you. Our room was musty, it had no mirror or sink in the bathroom (oh, they were in the room, they were just located in the living area), the floor was extremely and I do mean extremely unlevel, the toilet was broken, only 3 lights in the room and they were equipped with energy efficient bulbs which made us feel like we were in a DUNGEON, and their was only one working window. C-mon, it is Santa Cruz, part of the whole experience is to open windows and smell and hear the beauty of the ocean - maybe next time. In addition, this complex uses their overflow parking on the weekends to supplement their revenue, but the constant in and out of "day parkers" was very annoying. Lastly, the so called cozy, family friend atmosphere was far from that unless you call grandma and grandpa's all day happy hour in front of their units, family friendly. I will say that the location is great and the availability of a BBQ and picnic area was nice, but please if you have kids and want to have a pleasant trip, stay next door at the Terrace or save up your pennies and splurge on the Dream Inn. We are very disappointed and sad that our first real vacation was here.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2008

This authentic Santa Cruz motel has it all! We parked our car in it's own designated spot and walked everywhere.! Beach, Boardwalk, Municipal Wharf, West Cliff Dr. and Downtown Pacific Avenue. That was when we were not in our "Captain's Cabin" in front of the fire, in the large jacuzzi tub or just enjoying the full view of the Bay. Staff was great.Trying not to be biased from their welcome to us w/ champagne and fresh flowers from the lush gardens! What was quite nice was having the children come vist for a family breakfast made in the state of the art kitchen, including granite counters and eaten on the private deck and lawn, again enjoying the picture perfect bay view! This is the Real Deal! Quintesential Santa Cruz. The only way to go with the awful gas prices. This motel does allow pets but they are so organized about it that it caused no problem for us.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 3 July 2008

We stayed here because it was close to the beach and we could have our dog with us. I was happily surprised to find it very clean and as with other pet places this one did not smell of pet odors. we found their pet policy quite reasonable. .the staff was very pleasant and helpful with directions and suggestions on what to do and see in the area with our pet. would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2008

This place bills itself as a "boutique" motel, and I must say it fills the bill in many ways. Located on a hill directly across from the Santa Cruz wharf, this place offers walking distance access to the beach, boardwalk, restaurants, and downtown. Park the car; you won't need it. It's a pretty place too, with lots of flowers, landscaping, patios, lawns, a pool, and a bbq deck. Our room was one of the newly remodeled ones, with a corner jacuzzi in the tiled bath, and a small deck off the bedroom w/ french doors. most rooms have a kitchen, which is kinda weird. The staff keeps the place immaculate, sometimes anally so, and the service is great. At first, I found the price to be a bit steep, but the local competition I checked out was slovenly and not much cheaper. So, I promptly went back and plunked down the green. It's a great place to kick back and say "AAHH".

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2008

If cost is no object, and you like poorly-built one-star motels straight out of the 60’s, then this place is for you! Specializing in tacky, with a pepto bismol color scheme, you get it all from cigarette burns in the carpet to plastic sheets. This place made Motel 6 look like the Ritz. Bring your checkbook if you plan on having pets because each time they pee outside will earn you a $20 fine. Also if a neighbor once complaines of the least bit of dog noise during your trip you are required to pay for that person’s stay. There were at least 10 other dog rules I had to sign prior to viewing the room, all with added fines attached. Upon seeing the room I wondered what exactly a pet could do to make anything in it worse.

The staff was very impolite and only wanted my money. I had unfortunately booked a reservation before seeing the amenities (or lack thereof) and was refused a refund. We stayed at the Hilton which was 100 times nicer for $50 less per night and found out the same room we had reserved was booked after we left proving to me that the Edgewater Motel cares only about getting your money and nothing else. The prices were outrageous, the staff were unprofessional and rude, and the rooms were hideous. I had no qualms about having my bank dispute the charge with the hotel (who should know they had no clout in trying to charge $600 for two nights in a room I never stayed at). I got my money back, because the Edgewater grossly misrepresented itself online and over the phone. Don’t let their website fool you and make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple