“Stay Home" was right!”

Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
California
“Stay Home" was right!”
Reviewed 23 April 2008

I should have heeded the warnings of so many before me. This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed. Although the sheets appeared clean, there were stains on the towels, the room itself and bathroom had depressing qualities. The view out of the back of the hotel is scary. Two houses with "multiple" families dwelling all in possession of a barking dogs. Crazy....

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank winefamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 April 2008

I stayed at the Ocean Gate in just after New Years in beautiful Santa Cruz, Ca. It was a very pleasant stay. I read the other reviews, but I noticed they all date back a while. Here is what I discovered. Every room has a incredible view. My view was on the side of the Boardwalk and it was beautiful sight to see. The rooms have nice Televisions with full cable (over 70 channels now), a refridgerater, microwave oven, and coffe machine with free coffee. The place is save, and very nice rooms. The staff is very nice and the rooms are clean. The motel is affordable for Santa Cruz standards. I recommand anyone to stay at the Ocean Gate in when they are in Santa Cruz.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — no pool, rec room
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mceshark
South Pasadena
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Despite an alleged recent renovation, this place remains a seedy, noisy and unpleasant motel. The non-smoking room smelled like smoke. Toilet paper had to be requested (twice) as there was only a small amount when we arrived. Also ran out of the two pieces of tissues in the box. The towels were threadbare at best and there were hairs all over the room, including in our beds -- we can only hope they were those of the "cleaning crew". Tried to cancel our second night but were trapped by having made a prepaid online reservation. Won't be making that mistake again.

• Liked — wireless internet access
  • Disliked — the seediness
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Santa Cruz
Reviewed 21 November 2007

Unlike other people who stayed here, I don't seem to have a bad experience at all, and I've been here for more than two weeks now.

The bad: Indeed, the elevator door still closes too fast, the view hasn't improved much (still entrenched by roads), and they don't seem to offer much in the ways of breakfast out of season...

The good: Apparently, the hotel was renovated recently. Everything seemed in near top shape and the equipment (including internet access, which I value the most after a decently equipped bathroom) fully met my expectations to a low to mid-priced hotel.

Room service also was excellent - they did never forget to refill soap / shampoos / coffee supplies etc, cleaned & made the bed nicely, and did NOT unnecessarily move my personal assets. This is how it should be!

Also, there was always someone friendly present to talk to in person.

• Liked — Service, Price/Value ratio
  • Disliked — The elevator, actually.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Mehe
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 August 2006

Oh...where do I begin?
My girlfriend and I decided to take off for a day or 2 from Los Angeles and Santa Cruz became our spur of the moment destination. I booked this hotel due to it's advertisement that included pictures and descriptions that favored it to be a nice stay. If you look at the picture of the outer shot of the hotel, know this, the other side was not taken for a reason. Simply put, I would not walk outside at night by myself and was advised not to do so by locals we had met.
We arrived to a very rundown office and the management was very nice. After we had paid for our 2 nights that we had planned, their attitudes changed into a "don't bother me..." type. This became very discomforting at this early point. We finished the check-in process and procceded to our room on the 2nd floor, only to find the the door to our room was wide open. We double checked our information with the room number and it was the right room. We peered inside to find that the bed was messed up as if someone had just woken up. The "private balcony" was wide open with the wind blowing the curtains into the room. There was money on the nightstand and used cups of water sitting out.
We immediately went back down to the office looking for an explanation...maybe the wrong room. The management insisted it was the right room. So, we insisted she come with us to inspect the room. When she saw the room, she immediately started saying we had the wrong room, even though she had led us there. She procceded to open every room door on that floor, once opening it to someone who was staying there. She didn't say sorry but just shut the door and procceded on to other rooms. After opening about 4-5 rooms she took us up to the 3rd floor and did the same exact thing and finally found a vacant room for us. She said here is your room. So, we switched out new keys.
We had no remote control and she was annoyed to talk to me when I requested one. I never got a remote control.
The room was absolutely filthy and nasty.
There were yellow fish crackers on the floor and the balcony door was open as if someone had been there as well.
I am 5"11 and the shower spray wouldn't go any higher than my sternum.
We found little boys underwear opened package underneath the bed.
The floors were not vacummed.
I requested an iron via phone and they said it would be up in a minute. 45 minutes later, no iron. So I went downstairs to the office to get it and the iron was old and dusty and she seemed annoyed by having to get something for me. I asked for an ironing board and was told that they don't provide them and was told to have a good day. Iron without an ironing board. Purposed defeated. So, I had to use the table in the room.
Traffic noise filled the room the entire time because the hotel was next to a busy traffic intersection.
We took of the bed cover because it felt very greasy and dirty and it stunk.
Fed up, I went downstairs to comment on the horrid state of things and was only told that there are no refunds regardless of problems.
We spent alot of our time near on the boardwalk and only stayed at this place when it was time to get sleep.
When we were checking out, I was treated was disrespect because the management was demanding for the remote control they said I had been issued. After a few brief words, they found that they never issued the remote and told me to have a good day and bye-bye and walked inside the inner office out of view.
This was the worst experience I have ever had and I encourage anyone looking at the hotel to please stay somewhere else. there is a nice Motel-6 across the street that we had looked at. I personally believe that this place is a health hazard. I am inquiring with the city of Santa Cruz about the condition of this place.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here...
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank gbrowne40
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 April 2006

We live in the Bay Area my Mother was visiting us from Texas. We always go to Santa Cruz. We stay at different places each time. This time we decided to go at the last minute. We only found a few room available on Hotels.com. So my husband called me and said to book this room and I did. We were very busy. It was a big mistake that we did not read these reviews. We got to the hotel. It was bad. There is an elevator (our room was on the 3rd floor). When you step in the elevator as you take the first step the door starts to close on you. I have a toddler that was very upset and scared of this door shutting on her after she saw it close on me and almost knock me over. Then once in the elevator. It really turns your stomach. I think it has been used as a restroom more than once. We were all holding our nose as we were trying to figure out the magic marker writing on the wall that marked the floor #. It was also hard to tell what to push. It was the worst elevator I have ever been in. Then once in our room. It had a foul odor. This hotel really needs more than renovations. The carpet is coming up along the wall.The smoke alarm looks like it might fall out of the celing. They brought a mat for our daughter to sleep on and there were bugs that came out of it. We went to dinner sat there looking at a vacancy sign at another hotel. My husband called them. He went over looked at the room and for almost the same amout of money we ended up in a beautiful room. We went back to the Sandpiper hotel got our belongings and spoke to the Sandpiper front desk.My Husband told the people running the Sandpiper Hotel that the condition in the elevator was terrible. He told my husband if we did not like it we can take the stairs. They were unwilling to give us our money back. We paid 151.00. Way too much for the terrible conditions like this.
Once we got to our new hotel my husband spoke to hotels. They were so nice. We ended up getting a refund a a little extra for all the problems. We are so pleased with the great service from them. We are logging complaints with the city about this hotel. DO NOT stay at this hotel. If there was a way to give them a below terrible I would.
Try Casablanca Inn. They are GREAT!!!

• Stayed April 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
dublin, ca
Reviewed 19 September 2005

Truly a nasty hotel. I should have known, when we were greeted by a women who didn't give us eye contact. Handed me a registration form assuming I knew I had to fill it out just because she put it in front of me. Then she walked away and her husband came out, with no words handed me the keys and the remote control. Thats it, no hospitality. And, there wasa horrid smell in the lobby!!

The rooms were dirty, spots on the rug, scrapes in the paint in the wall, bathroom was dirty. They took the sliding glass doors off the tubs but did not bother to resurface the tub so you can see the old grout from the outline of the old doors.

The heater/air didn't work. It was Sauna in the room. When we opened the door in the middle of the night, there was lots of noise from the street when last call hit at 2AM. Then, the elevator made this awful screech bang noise everytime it stopped on our floor. The walls were paper thin and we heard everything going on our side our room.

It was rough night and I will never ever recommend this hotel. The owners should be ashamed of the lack of pride and hospitility they take in their establishment. I'm surprised they have not been shut down yet. . .

• Stayed September 2005