“CRAP”
Review of Ocean Gate Inn

Ocean Gate Inn
Ranked #50 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Ok let me start with the few positive aspects. It was cheap and i could see the boardwalk from the room. The owners were friendly. And that was about it.
So for the bad. The first thing that i noticed was that it smelt horribly in the stair case and the rooms. The towels in my room were stained, luckily i had brought some towels with me otherwise i think that i would have gone out and bought some. Also our sliding glass door would not lock and it was only my friend and i staying there, two young college girls, this did make us feel very comfortable!!! The pillows under he pillow case were filthy and looked as if they were from the trash. The shower was also filthy, we showered with our sandals on!!!!!
I will never stay here again even if it is cheap i would rather pay more money for a clean and safe place!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank kmonNv
santacruzoceangate, Owner at Ocean Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2011

We appreciate your review and are pleased you felt our staff was courteous. We will take under consideration your comments regarding ourtower and smell in the room. We will rectify the errorsWe look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 10 July 2008

I made a reservation over the internet, even though it had poor reviews I loved the idea of a balcony and I am not that pickey, when I arrived in Santa Cruz and found the motel I quickley realized what a mistake I had made, this is the worst looking motel in the area, there were matteress outside, carpets all over the parking lot, it was gross, I didnt stay there, no way was I even going to get out of my car, it is not a block away from the beach, choose another motel this one is not worth it

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank paula5150
Reviewed 1 July 2008

This is the worst place I have ever stayed. I get upset just thinking about it.
At first the management was friendly. They sent me to my room which was pretty gross. Just not very clean. Within a half hour of being there the manager and a service man just walked into my room and told me they had to fix something. I asked for them not to but he said it would only take a minute. The service man was there for over an hour and in and out of my room.
I asked for a remote and never got one. I asked for more towels and never got them, I only got 7 channels on the TV.
But the worst part was the next morning. In the morning my friend came up because he was picking me up. It was a little before check-out time and the manager looked through my balcony window and saw my friend there so he came running over and unlocked my door! He started yelling that I had only paid for one person. Then his wife came up and literally, and I am not kidding, started screaming at me because my friend was there. We tried to explain but they wouldn't be quiet and they wouldn't leave my room. We grabbed my stuff and they followed us down to the parking lot yelling at us the whole time.
It was insane
Please don't stay here it is absolutely horrible.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank janetleeAustin
Reviewed 23 April 2008

I should have heeded the warnings of so many before me. This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed. Although the sheets appeared clean, there were stains on the towels, the room itself and bathroom had depressing qualities. The view out of the back of the hotel is scary. Two houses with "multiple" families dwelling all in possession of a barking dogs. Crazy....

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank winefamily
Reviewed 9 April 2008

I stayed at the Ocean Gate in just after New Years in beautiful Santa Cruz, Ca. It was a very pleasant stay. I read the other reviews, but I noticed they all date back a while. Here is what I discovered. Every room has a incredible view. My view was on the side of the Boardwalk and it was beautiful sight to see. The rooms have nice Televisions with full cable (over 70 channels now), a refridgerater, microwave oven, and coffe machine with free coffee. The place is save, and very nice rooms. The staff is very nice and the rooms are clean. The motel is affordable for Santa Cruz standards. I recommand anyone to stay at the Ocean Gate in when they are in Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mceshark
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Despite an alleged recent renovation, this place remains a seedy, noisy and unpleasant motel. The non-smoking room smelled like smoke. Toilet paper had to be requested (twice) as there was only a small amount when we arrived. Also ran out of the two pieces of tissues in the box. The towels were threadbare at best and there were hairs all over the room, including in our beds -- we can only hope they were those of the "cleaning crew". Tried to cancel our second night but were trapped by having made a prepaid online reservation. Won't be making that mistake again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank JulexSouthPasadena
Reviewed 21 November 2007

Unlike other people who stayed here, I don't seem to have a bad experience at all, and I've been here for more than two weeks now.

The bad: Indeed, the elevator door still closes too fast, the view hasn't improved much (still entrenched by roads), and they don't seem to offer much in the ways of breakfast out of season...

The good: Apparently, the hotel was renovated recently. Everything seemed in near top shape and the equipment (including internet access, which I value the most after a decently equipped bathroom) fully met my expectations to a low to mid-priced hotel.

Room service also was excellent - they did never forget to refill soap / shampoos / coffee supplies etc, cleaned & made the bed nicely, and did NOT unnecessarily move my personal assets. This is how it should be!

Also, there was always someone friendly present to talk to in person.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business