“Excellent!”

Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Macae, RJ
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed for a month. Good breakfast, clean rooms, and the Internet was ok. Staff guys were very kind anytime. It's worthy. Special weekly price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
stockton
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Well...from an avid Santa Cruz visitor, I do believe that this review is honest, and fair...truthful and sad all at the same time.

We stayed here about 15 years ago, and remember a quaint, cute place that was clean and convenient.

We checked into the Continental Inn, because of the weekend being the clam chowder fesitval, and my new found days off...we were able to head up to one of our favorite destinations...all of our favorite hotels were booked.

The check in:
The lady at the desk was nice...we checked the kids in on the side where you first pull in...the room was big, hard wood floors, and mildly clean (GROSS bathroom door, please repaint/touchup the disgusting bathroom doors in this hotel...you will see and read more about this later....)

As well...the nasty person to person bedspreads should be outlawed, I always take them off when they are on hotel beds.

We went to check into our room, on the other side of the same building, by the side fence...walked past MJ smokers and dealers (no joke in room 122)...into our "KING boutique room"....wow....um NO! Its smelled of cigarettes, and old painted furniture...we left and went right to the front desk.

We were moved to a room on the top floor, same side, and when we walked in...we found towels all over the floor and coming out of the refrigerator, so we called downstairs and was apologized to and told that the refrig. was being defrosted.

They came and removed towels.

The bathroom door in this room was also so disgusting, I do not know the substances on the door, however as a nurse, even this disgusted me to imagine what it could be...UH SICKENING!

The room decor, had potential I am sure at one time...the popcorn ceilings, the horrible texture of the walls, and the smell in the room was just wierd and gross...the hardwood floors and the pseudo granite was just ok in the bathroom.

In the morning, I go to get out of bed and step in water, there was water all over the floor...from where else, the refrigerator...that was supposedly just "defrosting".

All night, we heard every single person's voice who was walking along the street, and the showers in the morning sounded like they were IN our room..the walls were as thin as the toilet paper they gave you to well...you know.....

What a gross place...seriously I am so tired of being ripped off, by dirty sub par rooms in Santa Cruz....there is so much potential to just make people feel welcomed and at home away from home....I just do not get it....

Hard earned money spent to worry about filthy bathrooms and shady drug dealers... I mean seriously.

Here are some pics from the room and needless to say, we will never return again, not recommend and for sure share with you all the information so you can make informed choices when you chose to stay somewhere.

Santa Cruz is one of those places that just make your heart happy to be there, I am just sad that most of our trip was tainted by the in-consideration of a disgusting place offering nice pictures on the web that are just plain lies.

Room Tip: Just do not come here at all....until they paint and clean up this place. If you want value and do...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MissGoldenPoppy

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We picked the hotel based on a recommendation in The Rough Guide. It was good value for money. The room, although small and dated, was very clean, included a fridge and microwave as well as coffee making facilities. Free parking and breakfast included. A bit of a walk from the town but not a bad location. Staff very friendly. Would recommend for a short stay...although Santa Cruz did not live up to expectations.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We searched all over Santa Cruz for an affordable room near the boardwalk on a weekday and after going next door (which smelled HORRIBLE) we decided to stay at Continental. The room was beautiful. Hardwood floors, flat screen, etc. Cable channels sucked but whatever. We had my 4yr old son with us and were putting him to bed when a BUM tried to WALK into our ROOM! He opened the door, looked in, said "Sorry" and walked away! By the time my hubby got to the door, he was gone. Come to find out, the door doesn't lock unless SLAMMED shut and we just made sure to lock the top lock too. It was noisy & people were walking by the room all night but it was cheap and clean. The breakfast bar was great and it didn't smell at all where we were. It did suck that the pool was across the street and approx. 8ft long by 5ft wide. That is a glorified hot tub as far as I am concerned! All in all, I liked it and will probably be back!

Room Tip: Walk in, weekday rate is $78 but with taxes $99
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank BettyNBob215
Big Bear Lake
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Booked three days with these people online. The room was fine, but in a bit of a shaky area. The second day we were there, three police cars showed up at the hotel with an ambulance and about 6 cops went into the hotel. All three days, there were some pretty seedy characters hanging out in general area. So, the problem: THEY CHARGED OUR MASTERCARD THE FULL THREE DAYS BEFORE WE EVEN CHECKED IN. Not knowing this, the day we checked out, we told them we wanted the room put on our American Express instead of the Mastercard. They gladly did so, without ever telling us they had already billed the other card for three days. I was told by a Haley, at the hotel, they never bill the card until you check out, (oh really?) she then said, per her manager, who wouldn't talk to me, the fees would not be reversed for 7 days. I left a message for the manager, she never called me back. I called three times, quite upset and was told she was UNAVAILABLE TO TAKE CALLS! The receptionist had one excuse after another, talking nonstop and not letting me say anything. I was absolutely furious. They definitely have the rountine down very well.

I called Mastercard and was told they (Continental) had made no attempt whatsoever to wind down the double charge, but could have instantly taken care of it, had they chosen to. Mastercard actually had to reemburse our account themselves. They are also having their legal department investigate this transaction with Continental. I noticed no other complaints along these lines, but an opportunity to double charge probably hadn't come up in a while. Be very careful should you decide to stay at what I consider a very rude, scam operation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim B
Fresno, California
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This hotel was not satisfactory in my opinion. The room has 2 queen beds and I was quoted $210 plus tax. First of all, it was given a AAA rating along with three diamonds...WHY??? As soon as we walked in it smelled like urine. The pull out mirror was broken in the bathroom, there was a hole in the wall behind the toilet, cracks in the tile near the bathtub. The bathroom is small and so is the room. Didn't use the air conditioner because the vent had a pile of dust in it. The room was dusty. Hardwood floors were scratched..EVERYWHERE! At 2:30 in the morning the occupants next door were loud and drunk..college students!! After I complained to management about the room they gave me a 10% discount..whatever!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Fresno_11
Danville, California
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The pictures on this site are very deceiving the room I stayed in looked nothing like the picture. The room had gross sticky carpet and bedspreads that have been there since 1982. When I asked Haily, the charmer at the front desk to be moved because of the noise, she so pleasantly exclaimed "that is what you get when you book a room on Ocean St." Check out the next day. This was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel.

DO NOT STAY HERE!